Wheel weights for BX1830 w/loader

fishinroc25

Equipment
Kubota BX1830 w/loader, custom front plow, 3-pt trailer hitch, Carry All
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Hello, I recently purchased my first tractor (Kubota BX1830 w/loader) to do small projects around the yard plus mow with it. So far I have been very pleased with the performance (though it's small), but now
I'm in need of some additional weight for when I'm using the loader. Currently I use my carryall with some weight on it, but it becomes a pain when in tighter spaces. I cannot load the tires because of mowing sinking/ripping in the yard where it's wetter some of the year (plus I want removable weight for whatever reason), so I'm left with adding wheel weights.. Does any one have suggestions on where I can locate add on wheel weights? I have searched the internet significantly without success (I'm sure I'm missing it). I did find a guy selling a set from a comparable wheel sized JD machine, wondering if they will bolt on easily? Thanks in advance for you feedback and comments!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might call these guys. Many Kubota dealers buy directly from them. They make weights of all sizes!! But check with your dealer, because you won't have to pay freight if they have it in stock or order from them regularly.

http://lonestarweights.com/

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Thanks, but unfortunately they do not carry wheel weights for my series. I spoke to them yesterday.

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Anyone have any other suggestions? I would really like to find wheel weights. Thanks.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Garden tractor wheel weights fit my BX2360.

For loader work in tight places, I made this weight lifting bar for the quick hitch. That is 360 pounds of weight on the bar.

Bruce

Attachments

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I also use barbell weights to add weight to the rear. It works great for counter weight when moving heavy loads in the bucket. Here are a couple pictures.

Attachments

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
When using the front end loader, loaded tires or wheel weights alone will not give you much additional capacity. Wheel weights and loaded tires are nice because the tractor is not carrying the weight and the weight is as low as possible, but you will find for heavy fel loads it is not enough. Having the weight on the three point hitch has more effect because it is further from the front axle. And weight on the three point has the added benefit of reducing the load on the front axle. I use a carryall for my ballast weight, but you might consider some of the shorter options in the other posts in this thread. I have also heard that it can be a real pita taking off and adding wheel weights, but maybe that is just for some of us older tractor operators.

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Thank you for the replies! I will look into the garden tractor weights. I have considered building a small 3-pt weight bar with workout weights. I really appreciate the pics to help me with that idea. Grouse Feathers: I do understand that this is not enough weight, but it's supplemental for when I'm in tight spaces. I appreciate your thoughts and will think this all through more! Thanks again!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Might go to Craig's List, then "farm and garden", then "wheel weights"....put a maximum price like $500. then you limit what you see. May have to get creative, but you'll find options!!

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
That's a sweet looking ballast box / weight!! I'm waiting to hear back from my local Kubota dealer on wheel weights and if they can't get them or if they are very expensive, I'm going to just make my own ballast out of gym weights. If I go this route, my goal will be to make a mount very close to the rest of the tractor.. I'll post pics when I get it completed.

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
BCP and Armylifer, thanks for the pics of the gym weight ballast, if I do this, I was thinking about mounting the weights vertically instead.. thoughts? Also, roughly how much weight do you each have there? (Not including the wheel weights).

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
When you put the weights vertically you raise the center of gravity, somewhat defeating the purpose of weights.