Turf to AG on a B8200 HSTD question

ecook280

Equipment
Kubota B8200HSTD
May 1, 2012
Ohio
So my B8200 HSTD has turfs on it now, the rears are 13.6 x 16's, by the specs it looks like it could have come with 2 different size AG's for the rear, one is a 12.4 x 16, only a 1.2 inch difference in width from the turfs thats on the rear now, can I use my existing rear wheels and just swap to the 12.4 x 16 Ag tire? looks like the overall height is less than 1/2 inch difference from what I have now to these.

I know the front is a whole other story, its got 23x10.50-12's on it now, the AG's it calls for are 6-12's, the ones I am looking at are True Power and calls for a 5" wheel, so I know I will need to find a set of front wheels.

So does this overall sound like valid tire choices? Being 4x4 I know tire diameter is a major issue so as not to tear anything up.

Titan Tru Power II 12.4-16 37.7 inch Diameter on the rear
Carlisle True Power 6-12 22.7 Diameter on the front

What Ag tires are others running on their 8200 4x4's?

ecook280

Equipment
Kubota B8200HSTD
May 1, 2012
Ohio
I read in the archives on here that the ratio needed to be approx 1.66 between the front and rear tires on an 8200

The tires I listed originally get you at 1.66 based on tire specs I found online, I also found a few other combinations that are close, and honestly when you need 4 wheel drive your spinning in a low traction area anyway and shouldnt hurt as long as its close, in my head at least, not like I would run in 4 wheel drive all the time :)

Titan
TRU POWER II 12.4-16 is listed as 37.7 diameter
TRU POWER II 6-12 is listed as 22.7 diameter
This cobination is 1.66

Carlisle
Trac Chief I3 12.4-16 is listed as 37.2" diameter
Trac Chief 23x8.50x12 is listed as 22.6" diameter
This combination is 1.64

I am leaning towards the Carlisle's if I can find anwhere local to get them at a resonable price.

murky

Mar 30, 2012
Vancouver, WA
Report back what you find. I'll be reading with interest.

I also have a B8200HSD and mine came with ags on the front and diamond tread turfs on the rear. I'm an engineer and it isn't obvious to me how to measure the effective diameter for comparison.

The rears aren't in great shape and I imagine I'll be replacing them at some point. I had one tubed at Les Schwab because it had a slow leak from the weather checked sidewall.

They noticed that the rear wheels are custom made. The seller insisted that these wheels are the same size as with the ags that he removed, but I can't be sure that is true.

ecook280

Equipment
Kubota B8200HSTD
May 1, 2012
Ohio
Well I found the tires local at what I thought was a reasonable price, ended up with Carlisle Trac Chief I3 12.4-16's on the rear and Trac Chief 23x8.50x12's on the front. Out the door, all 4 mounted with new tubes for $960 and disposal of my old tires.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How does it drive in 4WD? Any binding, does it feel tight when you are moving, do you have to back it up to get out of 4WD if you have driven straight?

ecook280

Equipment
Kubota B8200HSTD
May 1, 2012
Ohio
How does it drive in 4WD? Any binding, does it feel tight when you are moving, do you have to back it up to get out of 4WD if you have driven straight?
Ran it in 4WD out in the back of the property and didnt feel any binding at all, no problems getting it out of 4WD either, even up on the concrete drive, honestly it feels more free now than it did, the tires on the front before were the wrong size, taller than they should have been, and it felt like it was binding up, now it feels nice and smooth.

sgl-350

Equipment
1983 B8200HST-D, 54"snow blower, 6' back blade, 5' snow blade. Want a loader.
Oct 19, 2011
huntingdon, Quebec
Hey guys, The best damned price I found here in Quebec for the carlisle tires was 789. a piece, and I need new tires and rims (desperately). Cant find any rear rims either. I want some R4's. Any info would be great.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Hopefully your educated guess will work out as it appears to be so far.

As the engineer pointed out he didn't know/wasn't sure how to figure it out.
That was not only a wise statement but practical too and I think I need to get with a moderator ans post a permenant post on how to calculate exactly what everyone MUST know when changing tires on a 4X4 or mechanical front wheel assist tractor.

You can look at diameter and be somewhat close but in reality no cigar.
You need to know the rolling circumference of each tire and use that to figure out what the percentage is. Take the rolling circumference of the front tire and divide that by the rolling circumference of the rear tire. The number you come up with is the RATIO front to rear. Knowing that and knowing what the actualy rolling circumference ( remember too that rim with changes the size of the tire too! ) only then can you figure out what else will work. I've beat this horse to death many times on different tractors and have at times not been able to come up with the correct combination to satisfy someone's needs to change tread designs especially. As always air pressure which can change the size or length of footprint is critical !!! I have been able at times to make up for the difference in size that was close but not close enough to change the outcome by adjusting air pressure.

Not doing your homework correctly is or I should say can be a very expensive mistake if you tear up the gears etc in the front end or worse. It's bad enough expense wise to pay for a new set of tires, but tearing up the tractor and adding another $1500 to $2500 to the bill PLUS another set of correct tires can be EXPENSIVE to say the least.
Nuff said I'll step down off my soap box....
Al

ecook280

Equipment
Kubota B8200HSTD
May 1, 2012
Ohio
Well its been about 5 months since I did the tire swap and I can say, in my experience, this has worked out well. The tractor has spent more hours than I can count in 4 wd, moved 120 tons of bank run fill, 60 tons of #57 crushed rock, dug out and leveled a base for a new storage building, 20x16, and then put in 30 tons of crushed limestone, all this was done in 4 wd and she is still working great.

I truely get what your saying tiredguy, at this point I conside myself lucky that this has worked out as planned, for once lol

I could go one more step I supose, mark the sidewall of the tire and on the concrete in front of the garage, move the tractor one full rotation on the ground and measure the distance traveled, front and rear, to get a true measuement of the circumfrance, and the ration with the tires loaded and at their current air pressure.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
I am in the process of doing this same swap on my B2150 at the moment, local dealer has to order in all the tires, will be getting the same Carlisle Trac chief 12.4-16-on the rears but the front carlisles 24-8.50-12 are on factory back order but they have a couple other options for fronts in the same type tread, Can't remeber what brand they are. The diameter still puts it close to the propper drive ratio one came in at 1.61 and can't remember the other, I told them to get the one closest to 1.66.

The whole set of 4 will be almost the same price as what it would have cost to replace the rear carlisle turfs alone.
I am putting tubes and chloride in the rears at the same time.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Just got the new treads on the rig tonight.

Carlisle Trac Chief I3 6 ply 12.4 X 16 on the rear with tubes and 20 gallons of Chloride in each one.
Approx 220 lbs ballast in each tire plus each tire weighs 80 lbs plus the rim weight gives me about 700 lbs of rear end weight now, should help a lot with my big 68" loader bucket.

Mounted diameter = 37.2"
Rolling circumference = 117"

Fronts are 6 ply bias BKT Skid power HD 23 X 8.50 X 12 "couldn't get carlisle's in this size, factory backrdered"

Mounted diameter = 23.05"
Rolling circumference = 67.95"

Gives me a 1.721 drive ratio.
Now to see how she performs.

Attachments

Last edited:

tiredguy

Equipment
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Just got the new treads on the rig tonight.

Carlisle Trac Chief I3 6 ply 12.4 X 16 on the rear with tubes and 20 gallons of Chloride in each one.
Approx 220 lbs ballast in each tire plus each tire weighs 80 lbs plus the rim weight gives me about 700 lbs of rear end weight now, should help a lot with my big 68" loader bucket.

Mounted diameter = 37.2"
Rolling circumference = 117"

Fronts are 6 ply bias BKT Skid power HD 23 X 8.50 X 12 "couldn't get carlisle's in this size, factory backrdered"

Mounted diameter = 23.05"
Rolling circumference = 67.95"

Gives me a 1.721 drive ratio.
Now to see how she performs.
Wild,
I think you're in for some big problems buddy, your math is all wrong and here's why: in order to figure the ratio you divide the front tire rolling circumference by the the rolling circumference of the rear tire. So here's how that works out: 67.95 divided by 117= 58 ratio and it must be within 2% in order not to cause problems.
The rolling circumference of the 12.4-16 Trac Chief is 108.1, and the rolling circumference of the 23x850-12 Trac Chief is 68.9, so now lets do the math:
68.9 divided by 108.1= .637 so we'll round that off to .64
I sure hope you haven't made the purchase and if so hope you haven't used the 4 wheel drive in anything where you could get a decent bite of traction so it won't explode when the parts start breaking!

You need to start over with what was originally on the tractor and get the true rolling circumference based on mfg specs and do that math. It irritates me to no end that many tractor dealers and tire dealers always seem so darn clueless when it comes to 4 wheel drives. I'd bet money you won't find ANY tire retailer that would sell you 2 totally different tires in size front to rear if you drove in there with your every day 4 wheel drive pickup truck because they know that will screw everything up quickly. But, they somehow don't seem to relate that a 4 wheel drive tractor is just as easy to mess up as that pickup truck. I will give some the benefit of doubt since the tractors we're discussing here never have the same size front to rear, but they should at least have a clue and find out what is and isn't proper before they sell you the goods.
Al

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Wild,
I think you're in for some big problems buddy, your math is all wrong and here's why: in order to figure the ratio you divide the front tire rolling circumference by the the rolling circumference of the rear tire. So here's how that works out: 67.95 divided by 117= 58 ratio and it must be within 2% in order not to cause problems.
The rolling circumference of the 12.4-16 Trac Chief is 108.1, and the rolling circumference of the 23x850-12 Trac Chief is 68.9, so now lets do the math:
68.9 divided by 108.1= .637 so we'll round that off to .64
I sure hope you haven't made the purchase and if so hope you haven't used the 4 wheel drive in anything where you could get a decent bite of traction so it won't explode when the parts start breaking!

You need to start over with what was originally on the tractor and get the true rolling circumference based on mfg specs and do that math. It irritates me to no end that many tractor dealers and tire dealers always seem so darn clueless when it comes to 4 wheel drives. I'd bet money you won't find ANY tire retailer that would sell you 2 totally different tires in size front to rear if you drove in there with your every day 4 wheel drive pickup truck because they know that will screw everything up quickly. But, they somehow don't seem to relate that a 4 wheel drive tractor is just as easy to mess up as that pickup truck. I will give some the benefit of doubt since the tractors we're discussing here never have the same size front to rear, but they should at least have a clue and find out what is and isn't proper before they sell you the goods.
Al
I appreciate the info :) but you lost me at where you got the 108.1 and 68.9 numbers from?:confused: From your calculations how many percent am I off from the 2% acceptable norm? I stressed that they needed to be within the same range as the originals and they didn't seem concerned at all with the ones they chose for the fronts, if it truely does act up they are a good company and will make it right for me.
Tires are bought and on the tractor as the pics in the post above show.I had the exact same size/brand turf tires as the OP and went with the same rears and just different brand fronts in the same size which are about 1/2 inch bigger than the fronts the OP went with.

From all the info and spec i have the front tires are about 1/2 inch taller than the original turf tires and the rears are the same. Having been a heavy diesel tech for 20+ years and most of that working on 4 wheel drive and FWA ag tractors and 4 wheel drive payloaders and Backhoes among other loaders the chances of finding a loader other than new with matching tread diameters from from to rear are slim to none, Mine will be in the dirt 99% of the time and as long as the fronts are pulling a bit more than the rear I have never seen an issue.

I will get to try it out over the next couple of days as we are supposed to get 8-14 inches of heavy wet snow over the next 36 hours.:eek:

Last edited:

tiredguy

Equipment
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I appreciate the info :) but you lost me at where you got the 108.1 and 68.9 numbers from?:confused: From your calculations how many percent am I off from the 2% acceptable norm? I stressed that they needed to be within the same range as the originals and they didn't seem concerned at all with the ones they chose for the fronts, if it truely does act up they are a good company and will make it right for me.
Tires are bought and on the tractor as the pics in the post above show.I had the exact same size/brand turf tires as the OP and went with the same rears and just different brand fronts in the same size which are about 1/2 inch bigger than the fronts the OP went with.

From all the info and spec i have the front tires are about 1/2 inch taller than the original turf tires and the rears are the same. Having been a heavy diesel tech for 20+ years and most of that working on 4 wheel drive and FWA ag tractors and 4 wheel drive payloaders and Backhoes among other loaders the chances of finding a loader other than new with matching tread diameters from from to rear are slim to none, Mine will be in the dirt 99% of the time and as long as the fronts are pulling a bit more than the rear I have never seen an issue.

I will get to try it out over the next couple of days as we are supposed to get 8-14 inches of heavy wet snow over the next 36 hours.:eek:
Wild,
where I got hose numbers is from the specs Carlisle has published in their catalog on farm tires plus I used what specs you already had listed that way when you wrote the sizes down diameter and rolling circumference.
Let me make this clear for eveyone:

ROLLING CIRCUMFERENCE ARE THE "MAGIC NUMBERS" YOU NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE ORIGINAL RATIO WAS AND THE NUMBERS YOU NEED TO USE IN ORDER TO GET THE REPLACEMENTS TO MAINTAIN THE CORRECT GEAR RATIO FRONT TO REAR PERIOD.

All I'm saying Wild is that it appears that you are off far enough to cause a problem with binding which will lead to premature wear of the drive line parts or worse, major breakage such as the ring and pinions etc. You're experienced with working on front end loaders and probably know each brand varies in actual size from one to another, and know they must all be as close as possible or it can cause problems. You wouldn't dream of mixing them up with say 20.5-25's on one end and 23.5-25's on the other right? That's because just like a normal passenger or light truck 4 wheel drive vehicle they're set up to all be the same.
Tractors that are 4 wheel drive we own and deal with on this forum are actually "mechanical front wheel assist" and don't come with the same size tires front and rear, so to compensate for the different size tires usually the ring and pinions in the front and rear are different ratio's and that where the compensation is changed/altered to make up the difference with the tire sizes themselves. MFWD (mechanical front wheel drive ) on tractors is set up so that the front end is slightly faster than the rear so that it is always pulling you forward which is what makes them so awesome to have. If the rear spins faster than the front pulls it will bind, if the front pulls to much faster than the rear it will bind. Where it binds is where it breaks parts if to much torque manages to be applied hard enough and long enough to breal the weakest link. If your moving snow and it's slippery as usual you usually don't get enough traction same as you don't in mud or wet clay to get a solid enough bite. But, if you were pulling something where the torque was high up a hill on dry concrete or asphalt that load definitely is where all hell breaks loose. The weakest link in the chain is always where it breaks first.

You had written: The diameter still puts it close to the propper drive ratio one came in at 1.61 and can't remember the other, I told them to get the one closest to 1.66.
The difference between those numbers is 7% alone IF they were actually correct which I pointed out they weren't. I figured them correctly which is a difference of 9% in reality and both numbers even if I were wrong is WAY over the 2% allowance.
So all I did was use the numbers you had shown to discover there was an error. You were trying to get as close to 66 and now you think you have 72 and if that's really where you're at now you are at 8% diffence totally unacceptable since 2% is all that's allowed.
Al

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Thanks Al, Time will tell now,

But your spec book and the info I printed off their sites differ, I have the sheets I printed directly off each tire mfg web sites which is the info I posted above and they seem to differ from the books you have.:confused:

Thank you for going the extra mile on this subject.

I sent you a couple e-mails with my info.

Bill.

Last edited:

ibigjon

Equipment
b8200--b2320
Jan 20, 2013
willington conn.
I have a B8200 with 24X8.5-12 front tires. Need new tires, but can find only 23X8.5-12 as replacements-- can I use them without having a problem? The rear tires are 13.6-16. Thanks for any help. Don't want to screw-up my toy.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I have a B8200 with 24X8.5-12 front tires. Need new tires, but can find only 23X8.5-12 as replacements-- can I use them without having a problem? The rear tires are 13.6-16. Thanks for any help. Don't want to screw-up my toy.

Look up the actual rolling circumference of the tires.......don't go by tire size.

tiredguy

Equipment
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
The actual gear ratio in th B8200 is 1.691 It is best to use it in your calculations!
Eserv,
your information always seems to be on the money and I know you've got the inside track on getting information, so could you tell me how you got that 69 ratio please? I'm no expert and am trying to gather as much information as I can to be able to help here and in my business too. I've been keeping notes on the different combinations and trying to get the model numbers too so that I can refer to my notes instead of going to the tire books and websites
to find what I need. I pay special attention when I see you jump in buddy, as I've learned quite a bit from what you bring to the table all across the different problems in all areas.

I just had a situation come up where I was dealing with my Kubota dealer as a customer ( I'm a tire distributor ) who had a customer wanting to change from R1 to Turf and figured out what would work which he quoted him on.His customer had put an ad on Craigslist hoping to find a buyer so he could afford the change easier etc. He got a bite on his ad and struck up a deal and they were going to swap tires and wheels, and met with their tractors at a tire dealer in the area to make the deal. I got a call from the tire dealer asking me a bunch of questions as the wheel offset was wasn't quite the same on the rear and I just smelled a rat, so I ask him for the model numbers and BINGO! it was the same deal I'd just worked on figuring out. The tire combos they had were totally wrong and by luck we figured out what was going on in time to save them both from a possible catastrophe.
Al