Computer geeks: read it and weep

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have started reading the Mueller report, and the first few sections are the ways that the Russian organizations hacked servers, infiltrated networks, created personas to make posts on Facebook and so forth. The expression taking candy from a baby comes to mind. There are too many of us, me included, that don't know or practice safe computer handling and internet practices.

I recommend reading this report so you can see the data and not the "spin".

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If man made it, man can/will pervert it.. No matter how pure its original intent was

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
It is sad to say, but there are a lot more dangerous people on the internet every day doing a lot worse.

Just look at how easy they get into financial information at companies that spend billions trying to keep them out.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Always keep in mind that ANYONE can read a forum such as this one (public forum) and as such, can glean date and personal information from it. Never and I mean never post personal information that pertains to you, on a public forum.

I belong to a couple forearm forums and posters on there post pictures of their arms, all the time. I never do. Don't need unsavory people knowing what I own that goes bang, especially with the current gun grabbing climate.

Pictures are always nice, but make them generic and above all when you post a picture, make sure there is nothing in that picture but the subject.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I have started reading the Mueller report, and the first few sections are the ways that the Russian organizations hacked servers, infiltrated networks, created personas to make posts on Facebook and so forth. The expression taking candy from a baby comes to mind. There are too many of us, me included, that don't know or practice safe computer handling and internet practices.

Ive read a bunch of it and it seems like the methods where not really that sophisticated or high tech because they didnt have to be...They know most people are stupid about computers and vulnerability. They got into the DNC network through spearfishing and a dummy fell for it letting them in.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Be sure to read all the footnotes in the report. Many of them refute the narrative or render it moot.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Because I have a .com site, I'm extremely careful about intrusions. My computers are monitored 24/7 by my cousin in Chicago and his company plus I run Trend Microsecurity Agent on the front end all the time. Unlike most ant-virus programs, it don't slow anything down. Basically, if someone try's to gain access, they are denied plus I have a monthly dark web scan. No one gets in unless I or my cousin allows them to.

No ads, no junk mail, nothing. Sometimes it's pretty boring...lol

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Be sure to read all the footnotes in the report. Many of them refute the narrative or render it moot.
Personally, I think it should be required reading for everyone. Not sure if the Beltway Bozo's have the comprehension to understand it though.:eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I might know dis guy in Chicago, dat might know a guy dat can make all your troubles go away,,,,, for a small fee of course

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Whether it's the Russians, or some hacker group, they all prey on "gullible" people, or people who think everything they read is real.
These Internet criminals all prey on those least able to think for themselves, or know how to protect themselves.
I know several people who believe some blogs and everything they say, with no proof to any of the posts at all. Ya, right...
I always say that before any ISP hooks anyone up to the Internet, that person should have to provide some "certificate" (proof) they have taken a course (a few hours) on Internet safety and the common dangers of those Internet criminals out there that are trying to steal your information, or post false information. Just like you can't (legally) drive on a public highway without some drivers license, then why are people allowed to "drive" on the Internet without some training on common safety? Sure, it won't stop all people from becoming Internet "suckers", but it would reduce the numbers significantly (in my opinion)
My other home-made favorite phrase is: "Consider anything and everything you say or post on the Internet to be public information, because eventually it will be...."
With all the hackers out there, anything you ever have done on the Internet will eventually fall into the hands of Internet "criminals"...

Just my vent. No need to flame me. You may think otherwise, which is fine, just don't add me to YOUR "friends" list.

I've been chasing Viruses and other sources of "malware" since the 1980's, even before Internet was out there in big numbers.... Been there, seen it, done that...