Proper stabilization while using backhoe?

dgtaylor45

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 11, 2019
Gardendale, AL
Edit. I found the answer on page 75 of the backhoe manual that came with the tractor. I should have done that first instead of youtube. Sorry for taking up space on the forum. Happy Easter.

I have been doing some backhoe work with my BX23S and I have a couple of questions.

With the loader bucket level, if I try to lower it all the way down, the front of the tractor does not lift off the ground. You can see it takes some of the pressure off the front wheels, but the hydraulic cylinders fully retract before the front wheels lift. I can tilt the bucket down like I am dumping and the front tires will lift off the ground.

So, my questions are, when you are using the backhoe, do you need to lift the wheels off the ground using the loader and stabilizers on the backhoe, or are you basically just using the loader and stabilizers for extra stabilization while the wheels are on the ground?

If I need to lift the front wheels, what is the proper bucket position to do so?

I now have 22 hours on the tractor and been having a lot of fun. Should have bought a tractor years ago.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I suggest you read the owner’s manual. You may get several different opinions here but I would follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
are you basically just using the loader and stabilizers for extra stabilization while the wheels are on the ground?
Yes. You dont have to lift the wheels off the ground. The rear jacks take the digger loads and the front loader adds stability.

If I need to lift the front wheels, what is the proper bucket position to do so?
OEMs say the flat level position puts the least stress on the loader components. You dont need the front wheels in the air, you just want to reduce the bouncing you get when digging with the hoe. The loader simply makes you machine have a longer contact point with the ground. Think of leverage - the longer the lever the easier it gets.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
The loader if nothing else is there for ballast. On my 2650 if you take the loader off and try to drive around you'll be doing wheelies. It's scary. I've done it a few times in tight spots that I need to dig in.