Deck Belt Tightening

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Could someone explain to me how to tighten the deck belt? Also, how to know when it’s ok to tighten vs change, in which case I would also ask how to change.

I know this is basic, but I’m not sure. Numerous searches on here, and elsewhere, are not showing me what I’m looking for specific to a 60” Kubota deck. I did look in the manual and it’s still not clicking for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
Could someone explain to me how to tighten the deck belt? Also, how to know when it’s ok to tighten vs change, in which case I would also ask how to change.

I know this is basic, but I’m not sure. Numerous searches on here, and elsewhere, are not showing me what I’m looking for specific to a 60” Kubota deck. I did look in the manual and it’s still not clicking for me.

Look up a parts drawing. I think the are spring tensioned.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Most mower decks I’ve ever seen have a spring tensioned idler pulley, and need no regular adjustment.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This image showing how to assess and replace the deck belt is from the free Workshop manual which you can download at the link below.

http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Owners Manuals/

The when to replace and how is well described. The spring is non adjustable and will have enough travel to handle the belt as it wears with no involvement by you until it is time to replace the belt.

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I ASSume we're talking about the RCK60B-23BX MMM on your BX tractor in the sig?

There is no adjustment. It is constant spring-tensioned. Look for missing spring or seized tensioner arm pivot if the belt's really loose.

you replace the belt when it breaks. It doesn't stretch and honestly they last a VERY long time. Mine is still original from the 1990's, and has roughly 1300 hours on it. It is worn but ain't broken, and at about $100, ain't getting changed until it IS broken.

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Thank you all for the responses, and thanks Dave for the link.

I saw that arm with the spring, and could not figure out how to tighten it. That makes sense though.

It seems when I did the search, I got info on how to tighten the belt on so many non Kubota models. So I thought there would be a way.

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Thank you all for the responses, and thanks Dave for the link.

I saw that arm with the spring, and could not figure out how to tighten it. That makes sense though.

It seems when I did the search, I got info on how to tighten the belt on so many non Kubota models. So I thought there would be a way.

How many seasons of use does your mower belt have on it? Usually, if the spring tensioner won't take up the "loose slack" then it is time to replace the belt; either that or some pivot point is binding. Is there any chance the belt has been off the deck and then not threaded around _all_ pulleys and idlers correctly? Ask me how I know about that possibility!