3300SU Fuel not flowing

dinman

Equipment
SU3300
Jun 3, 2012
Monroe, ME
I've got a 9 year old 3300SU with about 300 hours on it. Driving it last weekend and it sputtered and died on me. Coincidentally, my battery was the original and also dead, so I replaced that as well as the disgusting fuel filter.

Now it has a nice charge and plenty of starting power, but still won't turn over. Well, it will turn over after 5-6 tries and then runs about 10-15 seconds and dies again.

I did notice that once it starts, the glass bowl where the fuel filter is drains right out when the tractor dies. Takes quite a while to re-fill.

So what, if anything, is between the fuel tank and this filter? The old filter was pretty gummed up so I'm thinking that line may also be gummed up.

Or is there a pump that isn't working?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Check the fuel filter (glass bowl) and be sure the O ring is in place and tight. You seem to have an air leak in the fuel system. If you don't have an air leak, the bowl should stay full. Also check the fuel line connections.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Other suggestions are valid but you should probably figure out where you have good fuel flow and then where you have little fuel flow.

Start taking the fuel line off at one place and see how fast the fuel flows there. Start at tank outlet or at the injection pump and move toward the other end.

If no fuel out of the tank then shoot a little air into the line and see what happens. If fuel flow increased then you have something in the tank blocking the fuel flow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
YUP. Exactly what R. King said..
Atleast u admitted to the yucky filter.. that helps is the diagnosis.
So, u KNOW theres a problem w/ the fuel..
IF the fuel is old, don't add fresh to it.. u just end up w/ a tank full of bad fuel.
Drain it.
TAKE OUT THE AIR CLEANER while diagnosing.
Good luck.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I've got a 9 year old 3300SU with about 300 hours on it. Driving it last weekend and it sputtered and died on me. Coincidentally, my battery was the original and also dead, so I replaced that as well as the disgusting fuel filter.

Now it has a nice charge and plenty of starting power, but still won't turn over. Well, it will turn over after 5-6 tries and then runs about 10-15 seconds and dies again.

I did notice that once it starts, the glass bowl where the fuel filter is drains right out when the tractor dies. Takes quite a while to re-fill.

So what, if anything, is between the fuel tank and this filter? The old filter was pretty gummed up so I'm thinking that line may also be gummed up.

Or is there a pump that isn't working?
If you had crud in the filter, chances are there is crud in your tank. Many tanks have strainers in them at the outlet that can clog up with debris and bacterial caused sludge. That's probably what was on the filter. There is also a possibility that the line between the tank and the filter is clogged or otherwise restricted.

dinman

Equipment
SU3300
Jun 3, 2012
Monroe, ME
Thanks everyone! So problem seems to be resolved. Found some diesel additive that supposedly gets rid of water or anything else that's not supposed to be in the fuel tank. Added a dose and let it sit for about 30 minutes. It started reluctantly and died as it has been.

Its a rainy day here today and I wanted to get it into the garage to work on it, so after the fuel refilled around the filter, I figured if I could run it for 20 seconds or so, it would be enough to get it into the garage. Started it up and it just kept running!

Seems miraculous that it would work so well and so fast, but it seems to be starting and running better than ever. Maybe that part is in my imagination, but problem seems to be solved!

Coincidentally, the coolant tank was bone dry and I filled that. If someone tells me that was the problem I'll eat my hat.