MMM question

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have no experience with Kubota's mmm.

Are the decks, 60", 72" with gauge wheels and large rear roller designed to run on the wheels and roller when cutting?

Considering converting one to 3 pt hitch operation. Will need changes to deal with mid pto rpm vs rear pto rpm

Thanks

Dave

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
The design as you described would be a ground contact deck designed to run on the ground, yes.

Curious about why you're getting into a project like this though. Why not just sell the deck and by a rear finish mower if you want it rolling behind you?

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
No. The gauge wheels that come with them are basically antiscalp wheels, and wouldn’t last too long using them like running gear. Plus they’re kind of on the small side. I think the RPM that the decks operate at is around a thousand or so. You’ll need a speed increser. A 3 pt finish mower is a better choice.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
No. The gauge wheels that come with them are basically antiscalp wheels, and wouldn***8217;t last too long using them like running gear. Plus they***8217;re kind of on the small side. I think the RPM that the decks operate at is around a thousand or so. You***8217;ll need a speed increser. A 3 pt finish mower is a better choice.
Depends upon the model.

The Kubota MMM decks for B series tractors are legitimate terrain following decks, wherein the cutting height is controlled by the gage wheels. GREAT decks.

The BX decks are suspended, wherein the rollers are simply anti-scalp devices.

SDT

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Yes. what SDT said!!

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Depends upon the model.

The Kubota MMM decks for B series tractors are legitimate terrain following decks, wherein the cutting height is controlled by the gage wheels. GREAT decks.

The BX decks are suspended, wherein the rollers are simply anti-scalp devices.

SDT
The deck on the B2601 is a suspended deck as well.

But the OP described a large rear roller. I could be wrong, but I don't think the suspended decks have that. At least mine doesn't.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
The rear roller is very heavy, has a grease fitting and is not like the front anti scalp roller I see on Landpride pull behinds. The front gauge wheels, while small, are very well built with grease fittings and pivots.

Why am I considering altering this deck.... I paid $200 for a never installed, complete with all hardware, RC72-36 deck made for L3000 tractors. It is a two blade design thus simplifying maintenance and repair.

It is significantly lighter than my old rusty Landpride 2572 which I could sell for $500.

In the end, I might harvest the 540 rpm gearbox from the Landpride to use on the new deck.

Dave.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The rear roller is very heavy, has a grease fitting and is not like the front anti scalp roller I see on Landpride pull behinds. The front gauge wheels, while small, are very well built with grease fittings and pivots.

Why am I considering altering this deck.... I paid $200 for a never installed, complete with all hardware, RC72-36 deck made for L3000 tractors. It is a two blade design thus simplifying maintenance and repair.

It is significantly lighter than my old rusty Landpride 2572 which I could sell for $500.

In the end, I might harvest the 540 rpm gearbox from the Landpride to use on the new deck.

Dave.
Terrain following decks have adjustable gage wheels to set cutting height.

Does the deck in question have 4 adjustable caster wheels or is the HD rear roller adjustable to set cutting height?

SDT

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dave, here's a picture I found on ebay, that is the same as you mentioned. This mower hangs off the brackets you see on the top of the deck, and the wheels all keep it from skelping the grass. They are nice, heavy mowers and do an excellent job of mowing.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Dave, here's a picture I found on ebay, that is the same as you mentioned. This mower hangs off the brackets you see on the top of the deck, and the wheels all keep it from skelping the grass. They are nice, heavy mowers and do an excellent job of mowing.
That is the one.

The puzzling thing for me is that the manual only talks about setting the cutting height using the gauge wheels and roller.

I think I am going to assemble the deck, i.e. install the roller and wheels, and try just pulling it to see how it moves: will it want to sink into soft ground?

I have a Cub Cadet many years old and its deck is designed to be on the wheels all the time while cutting. The wheels have bronze bushings and grease fittings. It just seems the designers of mowers are often changing their minds... wheels on the ground all the time or just occasionally.

Dave

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
That is the one.

The puzzling thing for me is that the manual only talks about setting the cutting height using the gauge wheels and roller.

I think I am going to assemble the deck, i.e. install the roller and wheels, and try just pulling it to see how it moves: will it want to sink into soft ground?

I have a Cub Cadet many years old and its deck is designed to be on the wheels all the time while cutting. The wheels have bronze bushings and grease fittings. It just seems the designers of mowers are often changing their minds... wheels on the ground all the time or just occasionally.

Dave
Suspended decks are less expensive to manufacture than are terrain following decks and can be easily adapted to tractors without position control, e.g., BX. Removing position control also reduces cost. Accordingly, suspended decks have become quite common for SCUTs.

SDT