Replaced my bucket cutting edge

Atomic.Chad

Dec 25, 2015
US
I replaced my factory cutting edge on my 54" bucket last weekend. At only 110 hours of use, it was already very worn.
I measured the old edge at 3/8" x 3". The new edge is 5/8" x 6". Overkill, yeah, I know. With the 6" wide edge, I was able to cut the old edge out behind the weld line, which made removal easier. I used a Lenox carbide cutting wheel in my angle grinder to remove the old edge. I welded the new edge in by alternating sides, and back stepping to minimize warpage. I overlapped the edge on the bucket floor the same as the factory edge.
The new edge is made of "Bruxite", which is supposedly a good wearing steel, HB500 hardness. I bought the edge for $108 shipped for the edge with holes in it, which was way cheaper than the company's eBay listing. Sometimes it pays to call. Overall it was not too bad to replace.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Excellent work!

Tell me about how that diamond wheel cut btw.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Great looking job! I'm just curious what you were using it for for those 110 hours that wore the factory edge down so much.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Atomic.Chad

Dec 25, 2015
US
Excellent work!

Tell me about how that diamond wheel cut btw.
Thanks! It's a carbide tipped wheel. They cost about $20, but last a long time. The benefit is that you don't get as much grinding dust as you get from a fiber cutoff wheel, and I don't think you have the risk of a wheel shattering. It cut nice and straight. I highly recommend!

Atomic.Chad

Dec 25, 2015
US
Great looking job! I'm just curious what you were using it for for those 110 hours that wore the factory edge down so much.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thanks! I think a lot of the wear is from my technique. I mainly used it in the dirt, but I have scooped stone and mulch from my concrete driveway. I think the biggest wear was from snow removal though. Our street is "Chip Seal", and it's like a cheese grater. I plan to get some Bruxite strips, and fabricate some bolt on or clamp on skid shoes for next winter.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Very nicely done. Looks great. I added a bolt on cutting edge to my B2650 also after my original one started to show some signs of wear.

20170918_120312.jpg

Atomic.Chad

Dec 25, 2015
US
Very nicely done. Looks great. I added a bolt on cutting edge to my B2650 also after my original one started to show some signs of wear.

View attachment 42330
Thanks! That looks good. I wish I would have drilled the factory edge and added a bolt on edge when the bucket was new. Lesson learned.

Atomic.Chad

Dec 25, 2015
US
Any special techniques used to weld the hardened steel. Did you Mig with flus core. I've had problems welding hard stuff.
Have you had issues with cracking?
I preheated the cutting edge with a MAPP gas torch, mainly to get the moisture out. I got the steel hot enough that I couldn't hold my hand on it. I welded 3" beads, alternating sides, and back stepped my welds. I let things cool off a bit between welds. This is what was recommended to me. I haven't had any issues with cracking. I welded it with a Lincoln Power MIG 256, running ER70S-6 wire, .035 diameter, with C25 gas. I had a little warping (the edge has a slight smile to it, easy to fix), but considering that this is the first project like this I've done, I'm pleased with how it turned out. I'm no professional! The toughest part was figuring out my welder settings to weld the 5/8" thick edge to the thinner bucket steel. I have had a 120 volt 135 amp welder for the last 20 years. I just got this bigger welder last year.

Nipmunc

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 9, 2022
Uxbridge, Ma
Can you tell me the name of the company that you purchased the weld on cutting edge from? That seems like a very good deal! Thanks

Reactions: 1 users