Leaf cleaning option help

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
Last fall I was too busy to clean up the leaves after they fell from the trees and this spring they are a big mess with the spring melt clogging up the drainage around my yard. In the past I have just raked them up which takes forever because of my large yard and an abundance of poplar trees. I need an easier way to clean them up and have been tossing around possibly a leaf blower or even maybe a pine needle rake for the tractor. Would a pine needle rake work for this and would it be ok on the lawn. Or should I just mulch them up with the lawnmower?

Last edited:

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
Wait for a dryer day and leaf blow as much as you can. Then mow it. Leaf blow again. Beats raking and it’s what I just had to do as well. I paid for that extra hunting time last Fall when I neglected my leaf duties. Overall, not that bad. Something to do before striped bass opened.

Stomper

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
Yeah that seems like it would be the easiest. especially since I hate the job in the first place. Thanks

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Get a good Leaf Blower, so worth it. I fire the Stihl BR700, it's a beast, not much left to cut after.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Get a good Leaf Blower, so worth it. I fire the Stihl BR700, it's a beast, not much left to cut after.

That is a nice blower. This season I have a few customers that didn't do anything with fall leaves, and I use the blower to get the wet compacted leaves up and into the lawn, then mulch them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA
I ran the Echo PB--770 blower its a backpack style thing is awesome. I mulch with tractor then blower everything into farm field next to me. Some day when I save my pennies i'll get the cyclone rake for the Kubota

Plus the blower works great for them lite snow dusting to clean off the driveway

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wait for a dryer day and leaf blow as much as you can. Then mow it. Leaf blow again. Beats raking and it’s what I just had to do as well. I paid for that extra hunting time last Fall when I neglected my leaf duties. Overall, not that bad. Something to do before striped bass opened.
Thats what I do. Blow them off the fence and chop them with the mower :D:D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Lived out here under the trees for 35 years and I've never raked or moved a leaf. I let them lay and mow the grass (when it's time) and all the leaves vanish and what don't, blow across the field and into the next property owners place down the road and I don't much care what he does with them, they left my place...:D

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I use a bagger on the last mow of the season and then deposit in the mulch plie. Sometimes I use the bagger on the first mow because I get to busy in the fall..........

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I saw a slick trick of adding a pole and tarp to rider so the leaves collect on the tarp while 'cutting' the grass. When the tarp gets full, drive to compost area, reverse, tarp 'self-empties' , go back for some more !
Jay

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Get a set of Gator blades for your mower, and mulch them up. Good organic matter to go back into the soil.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Get a set of Gator blades for your mower, and mulch them up. Good organic matter to go back into the soil.
I don't know about the OP, but I have tried gator blades without success. Just too many leaves to deal with.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Probably not an option for most tractors, but found this interesting.

Attachments

Stomper

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
Wow those are some serious leaf blowers. I picked up a Huskavarna blower/vac and tried it out yesterday. Probably never going to use the vaccum function but it's there if I need it. Grass and leaves were still wet and packed because of the snow we had....and still have, but it blew them around quite easily. Cleaned them right out of the wifes flower beds also. if it blows the wet stuff like that I can't wait to see what it will do on dry stuff, Can't believe that it took me this long to finaly buy one.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I don't know about the OP, but I have tried gator blades without success. Just too many leaves to deal with.
If your mower does not have sufficient tip speed, no blade will work well.

I live in a 3 acre sycamore forest, so I fully understand "too many leaves"...

Gators on a commercial ZTR makes quick work of more leaves than you can imagine! It's all I've used for the past 12 years.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have a pto driven blower made by Agri-Fab and it is a life saver. When we first moved onto our farmstead (heavily wooded) it would take weeks to take care of the fall clean up with mowers, rakes, tarps, trailers, etc. Happened to see this blower used for cleaning a cemetery and promptly bought one. One of the best investments I've ever made. It will blow leaves into a pile or back into the woods in no time flat. What used to take weeks can now be done in a few hours. Even wet leaves can be handled.....just a little slower. The unit is 29 years old and is still working like new. I don't have a picture of it handy and its tucked away in the shed but I can get one for you. I did have this one pic showing what it did with just one quick pass down a narrow strip with wet leaves on the ground. IMG_1565.jpg

Depending on type of leaves, length of grass, and dampness it will clear a swath from 5 feet to 10 feet and more. It also is handy to clear off cut grass if the grass was left to long between cuttings. will also dust off the concrete pad in front of the garage in seconds. Just don't use it when the wife has clothes hanging on the clothesline!!!!:D