Converting a tiller to flail mover.

Peeter

Feb 9, 2019
Kose, Harjumaa, Estonia
Really stupid question:
Would it be theoretically possible to convert the B7001 originaal rototiller to a flail mover by replaceing the tiller blades with flails. And adding some safety bits :D Does it have enough rpm?

Would be a good thing for me, I need the tiller at spring and the mover in summer so even if the conersion takes some time it would not be a probleem.

Any ideas?

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
My first thought, like you said, is that it wouldn't have enough rpm. Look at how easy a tiller wraps weeds and roots around itself. If it was pully driven, you may be able to reverse them to step up the speed. Not sure that things are designed or balance for higher rpms. Experiment at your own risk!
The harder part to deal with would be the blade spacing. Flails usually have a slight stagger all the way around the drum. The only effective way I could see around that would be to swap out the whole shaft every season, not just the blades.
It is an interesting question though. From the outside they both look very similar. Maybe that should be a new product, one that CAN be converted back and forth.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Balancing the shaft could be an issue. Severe imbalance will start breaking parts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not feasible, not enough RPM and Not enough center to attach flails too. ;)