Sales Tax

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just curious, when you buy a new smaller tractor from a dealer, for non ag use, do you pay sales tax on the purchase or not.?

You do on an automobile or pickup truck, how about a tractor or implements?

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Paid tax. I should of bought it from the dealer in Florida and I would have saved the sales tax since I live in GA.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
What is taxable and how much is set by each state.

Paid tax. I should of bought it from the dealer in Florida and I would have saved the sales tax since I live in GA.
When you buy out of state w/o sales tax you are suppose to pay that sales tax directly to the state. MA calls it use tax and has line on state income tax form to declare and pay.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
No sales tax in KS if for Ag use.
None in VA ......IF you sign the Agriculture use form - otherwise ......4.3%.

That 4.3% hurts the feelings.....when you buy a 20K tractor!:D:p

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Depends on the state, but most that I'm aware of all charge tax for non-ag use. I will be paying tax next year for the tractor I bought this year from a farm/sales business 6%

For KY, If buying out of state and having it delivered then no tax. If picking up your self, then taxed at that state rate

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interesting. Here in Michigan you need to prove you are a legitimate farm operation to qualify for a no tax exemption which isn't a problem for us. We are an LLC listed as a farm, even states that on the farm truck and I do ag exemptions with all my suppliers which need to be renewed every year.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
What is taxable and how much is set by each state.

When you buy out of state w/o sales tax you are suppose to pay that sales tax directly to the state. MA calls it use tax and has line on state income tax form to declare and pay.
Your absolutely correct, but I think I could of gotten away with it here.

shiraz627

Equipment
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Interesting. Here in Michigan you need to prove you are a legitimate farm operation to qualify for a no tax exemption which isn't a problem for us. We are an LLC listed as a farm, even states that on the farm truck and I do ag exemptions with all my suppliers which need to be renewed every year.
Same in Georgia. I looked into it after the Mahindra dealer in Florida told me most people don't pay tax on there tractor purchase. True only if you have a legitimate AG exemption. My mini farm which features 125' of irrigated row, citrus tree's and blueberries and figs did not pass the test. :(

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Depends on the State and joint agreements

Example: I have a farm and a farm number but do no commerce as a farm, so no tax exemption.

Buy tractor and don't pay sales tax, and if the state finds out I owe the tax, a penalty, and interest for all the time it takes for them to have found out I cheated them out of the funds

If I buy out of state, and have it shipped in and the other state has no agreement with mine, I owe no tax.

If I buy out of state and go get it my self, I owe tax at that state but no tax at my state

Same thing happens with anything else buying not just AG

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Minnesota sales tax of 6.875% applies plus 1/2% county and 1/2% city in some areas. It sucks, but what can I do? Sales tax was temporary when it was originally instituted. Dream on. Someone needs to pay for all the services in this state. Ag is exempt but not as much as the farmers would have if it was their way. Gotta say I agree with them on that.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Sales Tax!! We Don’t Pay No Stinking Sales Tax.
Tax Free New Hampshire

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
It is not just joint agreements between the states.

After last year supreme court ruling (SD vs wayfair) states can require larger retailers to collect sales tax shipped in to the state. Each state implementation is different. The notice I got from CA that set the threshold at $100K or 200 sales per year to collect sales tax for them. This is aimed at online retailers. But does not take many tractors from FL delivered to GA to reach the threshold to start collecting sales tax.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Bought from Tn dealer. Live in ga. 30 mins from state line. Dealer said no sales tax if he did free delivery. Sales tax if I pickup from dealership. No titles on tractors to register at courthouse like u do on a car or trk. No flags thrown to the locals. May pay tax on it one day plus extra but I doubt it. Good luck with ur purchase & save all u can where u can but get what u want. Buy once cry once

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I used to work for the comptroller in Texas (sales tax authority) and unless the buyer has a legitimate exemption then the sales tax is due if ownership transfers within the state... and a "use tax" which is equal to the sales tax is due if sales tax was not paid in the state where it was acquired.

Legitimate exemptions are: Purchased by a registered business for RE-sale, One-time replacement of existing equipment of similar value (allowed once per annum), Ag/Timber Exemption, or a valid Sales-Tax-Exemption Certificate (allowed for certain operations and charities.)

I personally hold an "Ag/Timber" exemption certificate. This required that I apply for the exemption, valid for two years, based upon my business of producing hay for sale to farmers/ranchers. The state has no requirement that I document production or sales of that hay. (I've had a horrible crop failure for the last two years, partially due to hog damage. I sometimes land my airplane in the hayfield.)

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I used to work for the comptroller in Texas (sales tax authority) and unless the buyer has a legitimate exemption then the sales tax is due if ownership transfers within the state... and a "use tax" which is equal to the sales tax is due if sales tax was not paid in the state where it was acquired.

Legitimate exemptions are: Purchased by a registered business for RE-sale, One-time replacement of existing equipment of similar value (allowed once per annum), Ag/Timber Exemption, or a valid Sales-Tax-Exemption Certificate (allowed for certain operations and charities.)

I personally hold an "Ag/Timber" exemption certificate. This required that I apply for the exemption, valid for two years, based upon my business of producing hay for sale to farmers/ranchers. he state has no requirement that I document production or sales of that hay. (I've had a horrible crop failure for the last two years, partially due to hog damage. I sometimes land my airplane in the hayfield.)
You need to keep the plane off the forage....

Farm Gear

Apr 14, 2019
USA
gardengearshop.com
New York State Claims

You don’t have to pay sales tax on most goods and services you buy, as long as you use them predominantly (more than 50%) in farm production. Farm production is producing goods for sale by farming. However, you must pay sales tax on goods and services you buy for your personal use.