Tree Puller

WCR

Equipment
L4701,loader,landpride blade, pallet forks, MTL Grapple, Home Made tree puller
Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
Anyone using a tree puller on their Kubota Tractor? thinking of trying a light built one on my L4701 for small cedars and brush ... Pictures and thoughts much appreciated.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm always yanking out trees some are pretty big too.

here is how I do it....

The size of the tree determines how high up I cut it off. I usually try to leave at least 10 feet of trunk sticking up, sometimes more. The, I attach a chain to the top, choking the chain so it don't slip off and run the chain to my drawbar with a clevis. Then I just pull the tree stump over and out it comes, root ball and all.

The longer the lever the better mechanical advantage you have. I've yanked some trunks 14" in diameter, no problem. come out like a cork in a wine bottle.

Of course you have a hole to fill in and getting rid of the stump entails letting it dry out before it will burn.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Those are weeds. I back my 8 foot Landpride chopper over those and grind them up...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Flip, I can just see you climbing a ladder 10' up and higher with a chain over your shoulder hooking to the top of a stump! :D:D

WCR

Equipment
Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
Some good ideals ... I'm hoping to do this with the front loader but not sure what the 4701 will do as it is only 8-9 GPM ... might be a little short on hydraulics?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This is the one I am hoping to buy after being frustrated with the ability of the FEL on my M7040 to pull out small stuff.

The extra vertical cylinder does all the lifting and now you are talking about the strength of a log splitter.... 20 to 25 tons of vertical pull.

http://www.sidneyattachments.com/hydraulic-assist-tree-puller.php

With this type of setup, all the strain on your loader is largely eliminated.

I asked about a mount to fit a quick attach Kubota FEL bucket.
This was their response a few years ago.
We can special build the grapple to attach to your loader. There would be a small up charge which would be 350.00. It wouldn't be any more than that and could be less after confirmation of the hitch.

With your bucket removed now you have the hydraulic circuit to run one of the two functions on the puller and a simple hydraulic selector selector valve could run both cylinders on the puller.
Dave

GRTkub

Equipment
B2650 HSD
Mar 27, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Those are weeds. I back my 8 foot Landpride chopper over those and grind them up...
That's fine if you have a big enough machine or you are not worried about the rubble sticking up. When I use my 5 foot Landpride rotary cutter it leaves 2" to 4" tall spikes sticking out of the ground- not to mention a lot of debris laying around. What I'm trying to do with the grapple is to reclaim the gravel road surface that has been overtaken by the small trees. I pull the trees,then rake the road surface with my landscape rake. Then I can drive on that surface with car, truck, ATV etc without worrying about flat tires.

WCR

Equipment
Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
This is the one I am hoping to buy after being frustrated with the ability of the FEL on my M7040 to pull out small stuff.

The extra vertical cylinder does all the lifting and now you are talking about the strength of a log splitter.... 20 to 25 tons of vertical pull.

We can special build the grapple to attach to your loader. There would be a small up charge which would be 350.00. It wouldn't be any more than that and could be less after confirmation of the hitch.

With your bucket removed now you have the hydraulic circuit to run one of the two functions on the puller and a simple hydraulic selector selector valve could run both cylinders on the puller.
Dave
I like the ideal of the vertical cylinder .. adds a lot more lifting power.

WCR

Equipment
Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
if using the 3 point it would add more lift capacity ... I have watched a lot of video on you tube using the FEL and tree puller to remove trees .. they may be making it look to easy ... It may be cheaper to take the price of a puller and hire a big skid steer to pull them and I can haul it off with my grapple as he's pulling.

lc12

Dec 23, 2017
US
I have the L4701 HST and I bought the Titan Tree Puller.
It has the SSQA.
I have been pulling Honey Locust trees with it and really put it to the test!
The long root system makes for a tough pull!
I would grip the tree and then rock back and forth while lifting.
Anything larger than 4" diameter had to be removed in another manner.
BUT A WORD OF CAUTION!
On the first tree I pulled I tried lifting straight up to no avail so I pushed forward to loosen the tree.
Tried lifting and it came up a little.
So I thought backing up while pulling would loosen it some more.
As I backed up I throttled up and was giving a good tug when the rear end of my tractor lifted in the air and started to tilt.
I immediately went forward to prevent rolling over!
Now I have both rear tires filled with fluid AND a three point ballast box with 1000 pounds hanging on the rear, and it still lifted in the air!
Leverage is a curios act!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

WCR

Equipment
Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
I have the L4701 HST and I bought the Titan Tree Puller.
It has the SSQA.
I have been pulling Honey Locust trees with it and really put it to the test!
The long root system makes for a tough pull!
I would grip the tree and then rock back and forth while lifting.
Anything larger than 4" diameter had to be removed in another manner.
BUT A WORD OF CAUTION!
On the first tree I pulled I tried lifting straight up to no avail so I pushed forward to loosen the tree.
Tried lifting and it came up a little.
So I thought backing up while pulling would loosen it some more.
As I backed up I throttled up and was giving a good tug when the rear end of my tractor lifted in the air and started to tilt.
I immediately went forward to prevent rolling over!
Now I have both rear tires filled with fluid AND a three point ballast box with 1000 pounds hanging on the rear, and it still lifted in the air!
Leverage is a curios act!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
I had one built but haven't had a chance to use it yet ... back tires have 48 gallon each washer fluid ... I figure mine will need modified as I go, I'm thinking the pinchers need some points on the them to do some digging if need be ... Lots of good thoughts and knowledge here ... I'll post some pics of mine when I get some.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

Dave
This gets my vote for a tree puller! That vertical cylinder really makes a lot of sense. I would guess that after you get the tree clamped, put the FEL in float and let the cylinder do its thing.

WCR

Equipment
Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
This gets my vote for a tree puller! That vertical cylinder really makes a lot of sense. I would guess that after you get the tree clamped, put the FEL in float and let the cylinder do its thing.
I agree ... would like to see that in action ... has anyone ever seen a video on this?

LaylaLayla

Aug 19, 2021
UK
I have an L4701 HST with a tree puller. It served me for a very long time. I used it to clear a huge area next to my country house. I wanted to build a barn there. But it broke as soon as it ran out of warranty. That was quite a long time ago, and I haven't repaired it since, because it's too expensive and time-consuming. Instead, I call in a work crew every time, which comes with their equipment and tools. For me, it's much easier and faster than fiddling with it all myself. Tree Service Antioch CA has never once let me down. They always come with experienced guys who do everything quickly and efficiently. If you value your time, I suggest you contact a company like this.

Last edited: