ZD28 hydraulic drive problem

longta359

Equipment
Kubota ZD28, M8950, M9540, BX2680, bobcat T190, Caterpillar 951B, Caterpillar D6
Apr 20, 2022
Delaware
You should definitely test your fluid pressures before tearing it down. Kubota wants a small fortune for their test kit but I made mine for just a few dollars. Assuming you have determined where to hook up the charge pump pressure test from the WSM, remove that large Banjo bolt ( item #60 on the Hydraulic Delivery Pipe parts page). It can be drilled and tapped for 1/8" NPT pipe thread. Then all you will need is to adapt it to a hose and find a 1000 pound gauge. When finished with testing, install a 1/8" NPT plug. Checking the High Pressure pumps requires only hooking up a hose; the threads are standard tapered 1/4" pipe threads. It is pretty congested around those ports so I hoisted mine up and hooked up to the ports on the bottom. You will need a 5000 pound gauge for this.

Removing the Transaxle takes several hours to do but it's not terrible hard. You will need a cherry picker or hoist to remove it from the frame. Very awkward,

I thought my HST was toast on one side but pressure testing revealed that the HP Relief and Check valve was worn out and the spring was weak. I can just about assure you that if you take it to a dealer they will just install all new kit ($2K) and give you a $4K plus bill.
Sea Dog, if you are still out there, can you shed some light on the Test port you mentioned. I am trying to test using Position 2 per the WST, but I get 0 pressure from it. When removing the bolt, some fluid drains out, so I assume that there is not another bolt behind this. The threads on my port (the lower one) are#4BSPP. I can't find a tool to fit the top port. I have tried 7, 8, 9, 10 mm and 5/16, 3/8 allen wrenches.

longta359

Equipment
Kubota ZD28, M8950, M9540, BX2680, bobcat T190, Caterpillar 951B, Caterpillar D6
Apr 20, 2022
Delaware
Sea Dog, False alarm. I was looking in the wrong place. I found the port and it is 6 mm allen. It was hiding under the hydraulic line and I could not see it. Sorry to bother you. On the good side, the pressure was 3700 psi, so my drive is not bad yet.