l2501 owners opinions please

kubotus maximus

Equipment
L2501hst
Mar 12, 2019
iowa
Getting close to pulling trigger on new 2501 with fel, just thought I'd check to see what some owners are saying about them. Also what add on's they got when they purchased one.

My situation, 5 acres.
Uses, finish mowing, hogging, firewood, driveway maintenance, dirt work/landscape and garden plots.

Leaning hst. ag tires. Rear weights. Cruise. Telescopic stabilizer. 2 rear remotes/float/self canceling.

Pro cons to any of this would be helpful.

Thanks. This site has been very helpful

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I would get industrials since you***8217;re planning to mow. Not too sure on wheel weights, but you can get the tires filled with liquid. I just added the filled tires, bucket level indicator, and 3 point telescopic arms.

Your match seems good. I have 5 acres as well and bought my L2501 for all the reasons you mentioned.

I went with a 72***8221; rear mount blade and 72***8221; finisher.

kubotus maximus

Equipment
L2501hst
Mar 12, 2019
iowa
Thanks dlundblad,

Funny you mentioned industrial. My dealer is having trouble finding ag tires. Offered the r4's for no extra. I'm just worried about traction in the timber in winter. Wood is only heat source so got to cut plenty. Forgot to mention my brother not far away has 80 acres half timber some recently logged so plenty of tops to go after. If I was sure r4's would be fine I'd do it but never really being around them I'm on the fence.

Can you put chains on them or do they need spacers? Should I make dealer throw them in?

Forgot to mention that one reason I dropped closer dealer out of mix early on was when I said ag he didn't even entertain the idea just started saying they almost exclusively sale r4's . So the guy way farther away at first said no problem. I said great. But now just before finishing up everything comes same line. I'm starting to think kubota overestimated the demand for the r4's and are pushing them hard to reduce inventory. Especially since dropping $500 off is no big deal.

I don't know but I grew up on farm in Iowa and dealers not having ag tires seem a little weird to me. Sorry if that went into a rant.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
R4s have most of the traction of Ags, and they are stronger tires (hence more expensive) because they're made for driving round industrial sites with nails and boards and whatnot. For driving in the woods they're arguably better than Ags.

In snow, most people say turfs are better. Ultimately if you're worried about traction I guess you'd need chains either way.

In terms of L2501 - everyone who has one seems to love it. Not sure if they're maybe biased given they own one, but so far as I can tell if you buy one you'll then be biased too - so either way you'll be happy.

kubotus maximus

Equipment
L2501hst
Mar 12, 2019
iowa
Thanks PaulL

That's another for industrial.

I do see the benefits of the r4 in alot of what your saying? I've read they don't clean out as well. Is this true? Hate for them to just be a set of slicks.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I've read they don't clean out as well. Is this true? Hate for them to just be a set of slicks.
I have turfs, so can't comment well. But if you're in mud, then Ags are the right option. That's what they're made for. Industrials are a part way compromise - chew up the ground less, more durable, but still reasonable traction. Depends on how much of the year you're in mud, and whether your plan is to chew through the mud making a mess (which you have to if you have animals to feed or something), or wait till it drys out some.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Have / had since 1990 = 2WD with turfs, Ford 4WD with R1's and three Kubotas with R4's.

Turfs (big diamond pattern) were awful on anything but dry grass. I'm told that with newer tread patterns and 4WD they're great. R1's were better in mud, work well in snow and do make the most tracks in softer areas. R4's do well in most situations except mud. I grooved the last two sets and that improved their performance in snow.

I have no woods experience, but it seems like those who do insist on chains.

kubotus maximus

Equipment
L2501hst
Mar 12, 2019
iowa
Thanks all

I'm sticking with ag's. They'll find them if they want to sell a tractor. I want to be sure if I'm down a slope, back in the timber and stuff starts to thaw though course of the day I'm not spinning wheels trying to get out. They always did me well on old ford 901's.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
For the tasks you listed the L2501 should be a good fit.
For consideration, if finish mowing on wet or well manicure grass, Ag's will leave a footprint, especially with weighted wheels.

Wildan

Equipment
L4240 HSTC &L3000DT
Sep 19, 2013
St.Lawrence Co.NY
Stick with your guns for the R1's.We have a similar sized L3000Dt and it's a tank in the woods.R4's will load up and be slicks in the mud and poor in the snow.

timdan94

Equipment
L 2501 TLB
Oct 25, 2011
Liberty Pa
I have R4's on my L2501 and plow snow and skid logs with a logging winch. I have no issues with traction but I also run chains on the rear and have loaded tires.

drs5082

Mar 3, 2019
US
I have R4's on my L2501 and plow snow and skid logs with a logging winch. I have no issues with traction but I also run chains on the rear and have loaded tires.
Did you need wheel spacers to run the chains? Any chance you can point me to where you got everything?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kubotus maximus

Equipment
L2501hst
Mar 12, 2019
iowa
Stick with your guns for the R1's.We have a similar sized L3000Dt and it's a tank in the woods.R4's will load up and be slicks in the mud and poor in the snow.
I'm going with r1's. Their finding me one with them. That's what I've been around. Never had many problems with them. For those worried about driving on yard I'm not into impressing the neighbor. And if I tear it up I'll have fun fixing it.

kubotus maximus

Equipment
L2501hst
Mar 12, 2019
iowa
Didn't mean for this to turn into yet another tire thread. Was hoping to here from actual 2501 owners to see how they get along doing different things. What other options they might of added and such.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I can only comment on your chain question since I have the L3700SU I have R4s and you will need spaces with these if you go with R1s you will be able to set the wheels out because the wheels are adjustable and you will not need spacers

NewtoOrange

Equipment
L2501
Mar 1, 2017
Pleasant Plains, Il. USA
Love my 2501. Have 14 acres in pasture plus another 4 a few miles away. Definitely go HST with 4wd. With 5 acres not sure you need cruise but I do wish I had it on mine. I don't do weights or loaded tires as I have my box blade on the rear if I am doing FEL work. I did buy a grapple and luv it. Mine came with R1 tires. I did not know enough about tires when I got it but wish I had less aggressive ones now. Also when I am mowing which takes me about 8-10 hours I don't have my FEL on, just a preference for not hauling the extra weight on the suspension. Another thing you might want to do is have the dealer put a grab bar on the right side. Holes are there but Kubota doesn't put one on (I got mine from Messicks). Hope this helps.

kubotus maximus

Equipment
L2501hst
Mar 12, 2019
iowa
Thanks NewtoOrange,

That type of review is more what I had in mind when I started thread. I placed order for 2501 only thing is no one had one to test out so just going off of test drives of 3901. It was just around the lot so I'm guessing the 2501 will be equally impressive in that respect. Main difference from my understanding will be handling hills and pto work. Im not worried about doing things a bit slower.

Yes I only have five acres but also have a property 2 miles away in town. My folks still have 20+ near by to help out on. Not to mention my brother is a mile down road with 80, half is the timber I'll be doing most of my wood work in. Maybe some fall hay rides. So I figured get cruise now.

Wheel weights is probably a toss up since I'll probably have tiller on back for fel work. Bether safe then sorry.

Thought about 3rd function and grapple but at this time it's not in budget. Is on wish list.

Finish mowing my yard with ag tires does not bother me. Again I can wait til it's dry or break out old jd sabre and do it.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks all

I'm sticking with ag's. They'll find them if they want to sell a tractor. I want to be sure if I'm down a slope, back in the timber and stuff starts to thaw though course of the day I'm not spinning wheels trying to get out. They always did me well on old ford 901's.
If you have experience I your terrain with that type of tire I see no reason to go differently. A few things about R1s...first they arent as thick of a wall so they will puncture easily (not sure about your 1979 versions but todays probably arent as thick). You might want to consider some R1s with more plys if you can get them. Second, R1s will raise the center of gravity of the machine a bit making it more prone to roll. If you have sidehills this isnt always a good thing. Consider dealer installed wheel spacers or flipping the rims if available on that machine to widen it.

Other than that, great machine and best of luck!

kubotus maximus

Equipment
L2501hst
Mar 12, 2019
iowa
Thanks for advice jchonline,

Plan on the widest it'll go. Don't plan on doing any extreme hills. Luckily the property I'm getting 90% of my wood has recently been logged so they have left some good tracks to go on. I do know of someone who works at titan tire in des moines that can get tires for rather good price.:D