Advice on grapple

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Looking at the weights has me thinking. The BX2380 will lift 423 lbs with the quick attach. The grapple I am looking at weighs 200 lbs. what I don’t know is how much the quick connect loader bucket weighs that I will take off.
A couple of things you need to remember.

1) Be sure to check the pressure of your hydraulic system. I have mine a bit above spec at 1950 PSI.
2) That 423 pounds is to lift something all the way up. I very seldom lift things that high on my BX23S. When I move logs, rocks or whatever, it is only a few inches to a foot off the ground.
3) Even if you can't lift a log by the FEL cylinders, you can lower the grapple over it, and then roll it back. You will get it off the ground, and can still move it. You just can't lift it any higher.

I have an EA Wicked 55" grapple and I move things (mostly 10 foot logs of different types), that I know weigh a lot more than 500 pounds.

My 2 cents.

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV

1) Be sure to check the pressure of your hydraulic system. I have mine a bit above spec at 1950 PSI.
2) That 423 pounds is to lift something all the way up. I very seldom lift things that high on my BX23S. When I move logs, rocks or whatever, it is only a few inches to a foot off the ground.
3) Even if you can't lift a log by the FEL cylinders, you can lower the grapple over it, and then roll it back. You will get it off the ground, and can still move it. You just can't lift it any higher.

I have an EA Wicked 55" grapple and I move things (mostly 10 foot logs of different types), that I know weigh a lot more than 500 pounds.

My 2 cents.

That helps. Did not think about some of those points. Thanks!

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I bought a root rake style grapple because I figured Id be pushing out trees/brush in fence lines mostly. Works fine for carrying single large trees. Grapples are awesome and you will wish you had one sooner.

I now wish I bought the bucket style L shaped grapple so I could haul more cut firewood, brush and branches etc.

Once last thing. Make a good HD grill guard for your tractor. You wont be a happy camper when you discover the hole in your grill or rad after moving brush all day.

Last edited:

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I bought a root rake style grapple because I figured Id be pushing out trees/brush in fence lines mostly. Works fine for carrying single large trees. Grapples are awesome and you will wish you had one sooner.

I now wish I bought the bucket style L shaped grapple so I could haul more cut firewood, brush and branches etc.

Once last thing. Make a good HD grill guard for your tractor. You wont be a happy camper when you discover the hole in your grill or rad after moving brush all day.
You answered one of my questions...bucket style. I think I want something that carries small debris as well...based on my needs.

Thanks for the feed back guys...

eubie5

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, 60" mmm, loader, 54" landpride grapple, box blade, rear blade
Feb 24, 2019
greenville, indiana, USA

My 2 cents.
i'm getting the bx2380, i think, and that's the grapple that i'm wanting to get.
how do yo like it. the grapple itself looks amazing.

Papadiver

Equipment
Feb 10, 2019
WV
i'm getting the bx2380, i think, and that's the grapple that i'm wanting to get.
Yep at time moment that’s the one I am interested in. I bought my BX2380
Yesterday. I will pick it up middle on next week

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I love the grapple. I have moved logs, rocks, piles of branches... all I have done is knock some of the paint off. Once you get the hang of it, you can pick up almost anything. It almost makes you lazy. Instead of getting off the tractor to pick and move one small branch, you will use the grapple and do it. haha :D

I am so glad I got the SSQA. Changing between the bucket and grapple takes a minute or two. Without that, changing would be a pain in the butt.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I bought the EA 60" single lid tine grapple. Looks to be very well made. I haven't used it yet since I just took my tractor in to the machinery dealer to have them mount the 3rd function hydro kit.
They are also going to convert my pin on bucket to quick attach for me while they have it there. They were nice enough to let me have the grapple shipped to them so I could get the free shipping on the pallet with grapple and weld on plate for the bucket. (They also stored it inside for almost 2 months.)
I'll probably pick everything up next week. I told them it wasn't an urgent priority and they could work it in whenever convenient for them. Real nice service oriented people. This is my first time using them but their reputation for quality work and good service is excellent.

TechnoTractor

Equipment
Kubota BX23s
Mar 17, 2019
Coatesville, PA

My 2 cents.
Do you have the Wicked Root Rake or the Wicked Grapple?

I'm struggling with the same questions. Both have their pros and cons. I almost got the root rake but am finding lots of reviews for people saying its not great for brush, then you have the Wicked Grapple, but it weighs more than the Root Rake and on a BX23s the extra weight matters right?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Do you have the Wicked Root Rake or the Wicked Grapple?

I'm struggling with the same questions. Both have their pros and cons. I almost got the root rake but am finding lots of reviews for people saying its not great for brush, then you have the Wicked Grapple, but it weighs more than the Root Rake and on a BX23s the extra weight matters right?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
I have the wicked root rake grapple. As you mentioned, weight was a concern. It's good for brush if you can get it into a pile, and then just grab the whole mess and clamp it shut.

eubie5

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
greenville, indiana, USA

My 2 cents.
As far as #1 goes, talk to me about pushing the hydraulic pressure. What's the benefit and the dangers of doing this?
How do you do it?
Probably should make my own thread, asking these questions.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
As far as #1 goes, talk to me about pushing the hydraulic pressure. What's the benefit and the dangers of doing this?
How do you do it?
Probably should make my own thread, asking these questions.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
There are several threads on this topic. If I recall correctly (am at work so can't look it up), the normal PSI is like 1750 to 1850 PSI. You can buy a pressure tester from BXpanded, or build your own. You can get shims from your Kubota dealer that are made specifically for this.

Before doing this, I watched several YouTube videos on how to do it. It really is a 5 to 10 min job to test, increase the PSI and then test again. As long as you keep it under 2000 PSI, I don't recall anyone having any issues. Mine was originally right at 1800 PSI when I got it, and I bumped it up. You really can notice the FEL and BackHoe being able to do things, that before you could not do.

eubie5

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
greenville, indiana, USA
There are several threads on this topic. If I recall correctly (am at work so can't look it up), the normal PSI is like 1750 to 1850 PSI. You can buy a pressure tester from BXpanded, or build your own. You can get shims from your Kubota dealer that are made specifically for this.

Before doing this, I watched several YouTube videos on how to do it. It really is a 5 to 10 min job to test, increase the PSI and then test again. As long as you keep it under 2000 PSI, I don't recall anyone having any issues. Mine was originally right at 1800 PSI when I got it, and I bumped it up. You really can notice the FEL and BackHoe being able to do things, that before you could not do.
so, it actually improves performance? can it lift more? or, it lifts the same, just might not struggle doing it?

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
so, it actually improves performance? can it lift more? or, it lifts the same, just might not struggle doing it?
It will lift more. A lot of it will depend on what your pressure is when you begin. If you are at the lower end of the spec, instead of the higher end, when you begin, you will notice much improvement. Now it will never be the same as a B series, but you will notice a nice change.

Remember, hydraulics are all based on the cylinder size and the PSI of the fluid. Since you can't really change the cylinder size, all you can do is up the PSI. Just don't go too far over the spec, as you can damage the pump, or seals of the cylinders.

Papadiver

Equipment
Feb 10, 2019
WV
I picked up my new BX2380 FEL, MMM and quick attach bucket on Monday. I am installing the land pride 3rd valve kit. Ordered it from Messicks. This thing is a beast of a little tractor! EA is top notch equipment but I have a project going and I can’t wait 6wks. So I ordered this one. This a little easier on the budget also:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Impl...sh=item363f2fdd5c:g:TxkAAOSwkfxb2hE5#shpCntId

I will have it middle of next week. This is Messicks ebay site. Called them several times. They match these up with the BX and a plus is it will work on my Ford 1720. Once I finish this project it will only get occasional use. Hopefully this is a good decision........

eubie5

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
greenville, indiana, USA
I picked up my new BX2380 FEL, MMM and quick attach bucket on Monday. I am installing the land pride 3rd valve kit. Ordered it from Messicks. This thing is a beast of a little tractor! EA is top notch equipment but I have a project going and I can’t wait 6wks. So I ordered this one. This a little easier on the budget also:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Impl...sh=item363f2fdd5c:g:TxkAAOSwkfxb2hE5#shpCntId

I will have it middle of next week. This is Messicks ebay site. Called them several times. They match these up with the BX and a plus is it will work on my Ford 1720. Once I finish this project it will only get occasional use. Hopefully this is a good decision........
that looks nice. what's the weight on that bad boy?