Boosted my hydro pressure. BX23S

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
A lot of folks here and in videos state the BX is delivered with a relaxed hydraulic pressure limit, and will take up to 2000 psi. I got a gauge and fitting and checked, and at PTO speed (~3000 rpm) it maxed out at about 1600. Huh? Wasn't expecting that low.

I also bought from Messicks a .1, .2, and .4 mm shim, where you get ~40 psi / 0.1mm. I added the .4 and the .2 and it brought it up a bit over 1900. This increase effect wasn't astounding, but I did notice the backhoe bucket straining far less when curling it through soil. True test will be when I dig out another stump, as the last time I did this I wasn't real impressed with the power.

When making the adjustment, it took me longer to take the backhoe off and put it back on when I was done than it took to install the shims.

The most frustrating part of the job was trying the find all the parts for the pressure gauge at one store. Be it Northern Tool, Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply, they all left me disappointed as each of them were missing some piece. I finally gave up and found everything (gauge, thread adapter, pioneer fitting) in less than 10 minutes on Amazon for less than $30 total, including shipping ... so I'll offer that advice to anyone looking to do this.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you had a chance to use the BH before the bump up, You will find that added 300 psi will be noticed.;)

Btek

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 23, 2017
Russell Ky
Yes I would be interested in the parts u ordered from amazon as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Bxpanded sells a complete kit that includes the gauge on a quick coupler and the necessary adjusting shims for $69.
http://bxpanded.com/pressure-tester
Just an FYI, this one does not come with the new Flat Face connector. You will have to get one and replace the connector it comes with.

I did the same as above and ordered all my parts from Amazon. I did mine last year after I got the BX, but I am sure I paid more than $30 for my setup.

You will notice a huge difference when digging with the backhoe. For my stumps, I finally got the ripper tooth from BXpanded. That makes a huge difference in breaking roots. If you also get the BXpanded quick attach, you can switch between your ripper and bucket in about 30 seconds. It really is that easy.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Here's the parts I got off Amazon:

Gauge: $9.95
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019465ZC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1/4"F to 3/8"M NPT Fitting (2x): $7.95
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WF12YJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3/8" Female Pioneer: $19.02
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DE80PQ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total: $36.92 ( I guess I was thinking about a different Amazon order. Sorry. Still not a bad total price )

Granted, the pioneer fitting worked for me only because I have the associated male fittings on my 3rd function connection, so that may vary depending on what you have available on your rig.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
You will notice a huge difference when digging with the backhoe. For my stumps, I finally got the ripper tooth from BXpanded. That makes a huge difference in breaking roots. If you also get the BXpanded quick attach, you can switch between your ripper and bucket in about 30 seconds. It really is that easy.
Yep. No end to the toys ... I mean tools ... one can get. I guess I don't dig enough stumps to justify it, and have figured out that you just have to start wide and work your way in. I did transplant a 7 ft scotch pine yesterday in less than an hour, however, and that's where I noticed no bucket stalls in the soil. Without this tractor, I never could have done this. With every job like this I ask myself why I didn't buy one of these years ago. The 23S seems like a really well engineered little machine. Very happy with it.

Reactions: 1 user

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I got the kit from bxpanded. Last I checked I was around 2200PSI. I never really saw any significant increase in "Lifting Power."

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Just an FYI, this one does not come with the new Flat Face connector. You will have to get one and replace the connector it comes with.

I did the same as above and ordered all my parts from Amazon. I did mine last year after I got the BX, but I am sure I paid more than $30 for my setup.

Actually, bxpanded is offering it with the flat face connectors if your tractor needs it. You just have to tell them.

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Actually, bxpanded is offering it with the flat face connectors if your tractor needs it. You just have to tell them.
Oh cool! Didn't know that. Last year when I asked them about one, they said they were working on it. Glad they got it taken care of. :)

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I got the kit from bxpanded. Last I checked I was around 2200PSI. I never really saw any significant increase in "Lifting Power."
I had some time tonight, so I decided to run some numbers. I used an on-line force calculator, so if these numbers are not correct, don't blame me. :)

I used the BX23S owners manual to get the cylinder specs, so these should be correct. I am going off the non-rod side of the cylinder, as that is where you do most of your lifting.

FEL Boom cylinders surface area: 1.57 inches

At 1850 PSI, the force is 3581. At 2000 PSI, the force is 3872. A difference of 291 push force. Since there are 2 on the boom, you can see there is a total of 582 force push.

FEL Bucket cylinder surface area: 2.56 inches

At 1850 PSI, the force is 9522. At 2000 PSI, the force is 10294. A difference of 772 force push.

For the BackHoe:

Boom cylinder surface area: 1.18 inches

At 1850 PSI, the force is 2023. At 2000 PSI, the force is 2187. A difference of 164 push force.

Both the Dipperstick and bucket have the same specs.

Cylinder surface area: .98 inches

At 1850 PSI, the force is 1395. At 2000 PSI, the force is 1509. A difference of 144 push force.

As you can see, just a little increase in PSI really increases the force the cylinders push with. If yours was at 1600, like posted above, the increase would be dramatic. If will be like having a new tractor. :)

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Yes, it does. You have to note in at checkout. I bumped mine from 1650 to 1775. Manual states limit is 1850 psi, if Im remebering correctly.

channelcat25

Jul 2, 2018
US
My buddies BX 2380 ran smoother at 2100 psi at full throttle..when running loader at 2500rpm the unit just purred..Hydro whine was almost gone..at 2000psi you could def. tell the machine was a bit angry sounding.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
I just wanted to add to check your connectors as well. On my BX2200, Kubota had the quick release connectors for the hydraulic with their smaller connectors. Had a couple of drips, so I went to tractor supply thinking they were universal. The ones they sell were much larger of a diameter for hydraulic fluid to get through. HUGE improvement in bucket speed and power right off the bat. I am not sure why BXExpand-it doesn't sell an adjustment kit for the BX2200 series...(matter of fact it says ALL, except BX22 and BX2200). Strange. I would like to increase pressure as well.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
MHO is this hydro power in something small is akin to HP in a small block motor, yeah we all want more and we can do things with in reason and things are OK. BUT when things go sideways,, all bets are off and stuff gets expencive

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
Ok, I’ve got an older L 4400D. Needs a little love and care, but I’m working on getting her back in good shape.
Any down side to increased hydraulic pressures?