diy piranha tooth bar and bucket hooks

Rebel654

Equipment
B6000
May 30, 2016
Scottdale
Step one talk your neighbor into buying a real piranha tooth bar so you can make a pattern...hehe I used some AR plate that we use at my work for wear plate. Used a 4" grinder and lost count on how many wheels it took. Over all I'm happy how it turned out. Let me know what you think !!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Nice work. Did you rough cut the pattern with an ox/acc torch? If so, does that change the temper of the steel?

If you hand cut it with a torch or even plasma cutter, I usually hold the torch at the angle of the bevel I want then just smooth with a grinder.

Now, if you are saying you made the cuts with a cut off disc in a 4" grinder, you have way more time and patience than I do.

Rebel654

Equipment
B6000
May 30, 2016
Scottdale
I used the 4" for the whole build. I first tried to torch but wasn't happy with the consistency. The grinder took more time but I was able to keep my edges more consistent. I think the torch might take some of the temper out but I don't think your going to wear it with normal use even with regular mild steel. I had a day in cutting and beveling and about 2hrs welding painting and install. The piranha bar is great but a day and a half is well worth the almost $300 savings

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I'm actually pretty good with a handheld ox/acc torch or even handholding a plasma torch (I have both in my home shop). Back when I was an iron worker, everyone came to me if something needed to be hand cut with a torch because very little cleanup was needed with a grinder. Unfortunately I'm not quite as steady now as I was in my younger days but I can still do pretty good. The problem I see most people have with a torch is caused by them using too big a tip in the torch for the thickness of metal they are cutting.

My hats off to you, that must have been a back breaking day of grinder use!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
My hands are numb just thinking about grinding that! Congratulations on your build!

bigbenkubota

Oct 11, 2016
Upstate NY
Very nice - maybe I missed it, but how thick is that steel plate?

My problem in making one of those is that I doubt my bucket is all that straight.

Rebel654

Equipment
B6000
May 30, 2016
Scottdale
I made mine out of 3/8 AR plate. The regular piranha bar is 1/2. I fit everything while it was clamped to the bucket for that reason I wanted to make sure each bracket and support was where I wanted it.

7milesup

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, 54" MMM, 48" King Kutter, Fabricated land plane (it is awesome!).
Apr 3, 2017
Northwest, WI
I made mine out of 3/8 AR plate. The regular piranha bar is 1/2. I fit everything while it was clamped to the bucket for that reason I wanted to make sure each bracket and support was where I wanted it.

I am taking delivery of a new BX2380 this coming week. One of the first things I wanted to purchase is a piranha bar, but after seeing your build, maybe I'll make my own. A buddy of a buddy has a large water jet cutter....hmmm, wonder if that thing can cut angles for the edges.

Also, what is AR steel?

Rebel654

Equipment
B6000
May 30, 2016
Scottdale
The water just should cut just fine I've seen them cut angles also I think some are fixed 90°

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
Nice work. I bought one though, a while back for my MX5200. It's like getting 50 more horsepower while using the FEL.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
AR PLATE??? man if you have some spare time a couple 10 inch circle targets out of AR 500 would really be nice,,just sayin :D