What's cookin' boys?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Venison back straps, beans and broccoli from the garden.

Deer season closed today, ended up with 12 for the freezer. Grinding set for couple weeks from now burger and sausage to come. Lots of steaks and roasts packaged away.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Venison back straps, beans and broccoli from the garden.

Deer season closed today, ended up with 12 for the freezer. Grinding set for couple weeks from now burger and sausage to come. Lots of steaks and roasts packaged away.
How many deer can you take a year? Any summer sausage let over? I could find it a home.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A bit late but here is the prime rib I cooked up for Christmas dinner.
Holy smokes John, was that as awesome as it looked?!?!?

You look up web pictures of "how to cook a prime rib," and it should show yours!

A whole one (7-bones) outside...Perfect! :cool:

Daren's steaks and Ford's Hibachi always look great, but that 'rib was super.

I've done 1,000's of them, so I think I'm a decent judge! :)

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks. I changed up my rub this time and it was pretty tasty. What I didn’t show was the 3 bone cut up top that I smoked at the same time. 225, indirect with a mix of Hickory and Oak chunks. Pulled it at 127 internal, rested for 2 hrs then cut and served. Melts in your mouth.
. A shot of both pre smoke and the small cut post smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Did up another pork shoulder for my upcoming camping trip

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
HOW IN THE NAME OF JOHN PAUL JONES can you let it sit for 2 hours and not get your fingers in to it ??????

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
HOW IN THE NAME OF JOHN PAUL JONES can you let it sit for 2 hours and not get your fingers in to it ??????
Agreed, that's some serious discipline or momma is standing over it with a rolling pin :eek:

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Anyone got a good recipe for beef short ribs? Not using a grill or smoker this time of year.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Amy buys the Lloyds Kansas City BBQ ribs at Menards when they have them. Man are they good. So is their pulled pork.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Agreed, that's some serious discipline or momma is standing over it with a rolling pin :eek:

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The longer you let it set the better it is. Juices go back in to the meat, plus grabbing a 190 degree bowling ball and pulling it apart, well I need some serious gloves for that. I got on this one after3 hrs, pulled and sprinkled in a bit more of my rub. Off to the freezer till the 30th when I go camping. Lunch on Friday

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Anyone got a good recipe for beef short ribs? Not using a grill or smoker this time of year.
Sheep -

Unfortunately, I don't use recipes much. I hope this helps a little.

I never do them on a grill or smoker either - always oven.

I put them in a small casserole with lid or tight foil cover.

Really simple, I just do them with salt/pepper on the ribs, garlic, equal parts prepared BBQ sauce and tomato sauce and red wine (preferably Merlot or Burgundy), and a bay leaf or two, if you like bay. Worcestershire would be good, or soy if you like... I usually use half BBQ and half tomato, but works in any combination of the two.

You don't want the ribs covered with liquid at first - - we're looking to braise, so only enough liquid to cover the bottom of the pan well at first. The ribs will render down quite a bit as time goes on.

I just throw it all in the casserole and let them go for about 4 hours at 300-325F.

A crock pot for several hours would be a great alternative, if you have one.

Not detailed, but hope it helps a little.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks RCW, that helps. The general ingredients are similar to say oxtail stew, but the most helpful piece is matching the volume of liquid to the size of the casserole and ribs. These are kind of long bones and may not lie nicely in the pans I have. My favorite old dutch oven has gotten too heavy to lift out of the oven safely :eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sheepfarmer I have done them this way a couple times and they turned out pretty good

https://youtu.be/e9DU3bmdNKk
Thanks skeets!

I wonder how Rolling Rock would do? Don't have any Guiness and store won't sell you just one can :confused: have about a cup of red wine left over in refrig for several months. Troublesome when all you can use alcoholic beverages for is cooking and I'm too cheap to buy a whole bottle just to get 1 or 2 cups for a recipe. Got some Rolling Rock to have on hand for a couple of friends, since I used to like that, but they've taken to bringing over a couple of bottles of some other kind. That should tell me something!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OH YEAH ya gota love the ROCK,, Really any good beer would work, Yingling should work well too,, really it just depends what your tastes run to,,

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm making Chicken Riggies.

It's an Italian invention from Utica, New York. Very regional.

Never really knew what they were until 10 years or so ago.

Always thought they were a chicken sandwich, but it's a spicy tomato/cream/cheese sauce with diced chicken over rigatoni.

Mary - I scanned the recipe I use. If I figure out how to post it, I will. :eek:

I don't use recipes much, but these are new to me so I need a reference.

PS - - I scanned it to *.jpg. Hopefully it works....

It's tough not having young people 'round the house for this technical stuff anymore...:eek:

I'll try to remember to take a picture when done.

Attachments

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My ribs are in the oven! Company comes at 6. Merged various recipes according to availability in refrigerator of ingredients. I used a roasting pan because it has a lid, but a bit too big. Tried to brown the ribs in it to keep the fond, but it required 2 burners, not the best idea. There is something to be said for having the right size utensils for the job. Crock pot too small.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have a pot of marina sauce simmering on the stove right now,, should be really good tomorrow