Deep cycle battery

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
What are the pros or cons to using a deep cycle battery in an old tractor that isn't used often or for long at a time?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Basically the only thing the battery is doing is starting the engine. That's what you need, a starting battery.

To keep the battery from going bad, it needs to be recharged at least once a month. And the battery can be removed to hook it to a trickle charger.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I use AGM, Advanced Glass Matt, batteries in all my vehicles. They have no corrosion, are starting batteries with deep cycle qualities. They hold a charge for a long time, can be drained and recharged with much less negative effect than normal lead acid batteries. They can be mounted at any angle or upside down. They last longer than lead acid batteries. I have refrigerators in two of my trucks and run dual batteries. For a tractor the benefit is no corrosion, longer lasting charge and longer lasting battery. They are more expensive but are widely available.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I would look into getting the $20 Harbor Freight battery maintainer.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I put a blue top Optima in my M9000 not so much for the deep cycle but it had acc post and it was easier to hook power wires up for my monitors and such.

It doesn't get used much in the winter and it cranks as good now as it did then.
Another plus I see if it does go dead most likely it can be charged back up good as new where a standard battery may not.

I also put a deep cycle on my trailer to power a winch. I got 7 years out of the first one and had really good service from it.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I had a bran new AGM battery for my riding mower. It worked great....but.....I left the key on for a number of days, running it completely down. I found out that once an AGM battery is completely down, it cannot be charged...it is finished.
I tried for weeks to get this thing to take a charge....it was finished and I wasted some good $$$$.
Talked to other people about it and found that this is how they are.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I use AGM, Advanced Glass Matt, batteries in all my vehicles. They have no corrosion, are starting batteries with deep cycle qualities. They hold a charge for a long time, can be drained and recharged with much less negative effect than normal lead acid batteries. They can be mounted at any angle or upside down. They last longer than lead acid batteries. I have refrigerators in two of my trucks and run dual batteries. For a tractor the benefit is no corrosion, longer lasting charge and longer lasting battery. They are more expensive but are widely available.
AGM's are nice and not too expensive in comparison, at some places. My local Farm & Fleet has their house brand AGM's, that are very competitively priced, if not priced better, than comparable lead acid batteries from say Autozones Duralast Gold batteries.
AGM's do require a special type of battery maintainer/tender compared to normal lead acid batteries. At least that is my understanding from the research I'd done on them. Keep that in mind when shopping for one.
I don't see the need for a deep cycle battery on a tractor.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g--4411-duration-agm-red-starting-automotive-battery.html

Last edited:

endoscott

Equipment
B21
Sep 12, 2018
Redmond, WA
So I can't find much on the internet about whether the AGM batteries need a special battery tender or not. Does anyone know specifically if they need something different and why or why not? I have been using the cheap Harbor Freight battery maintainers for years on a bunch of different batteries and they always seem OK but I hate to use one on an expensive AGM battery if it's not really a correct application.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
So I can't find much on the internet about whether the AGM batteries need a special battery tender or not. Does anyone know specifically if they need something different and why or why not? I have been using the cheap Harbor Freight battery maintainers for years on a bunch of different batteries and they always seem OK but I hate to use one on an expensive AGM battery if it's not really a correct application.
What you will find when researching most manufacturers specifications/requirements for maintainers for AGM batteries is they like 14.7 volt top end of charge and then most will maintain at 13.6 volts. "Smart" maintainers are needed, not trickle chargers.

Also AGM will usually come back from "dead" if a high enough amperage charger is used. Like a 6 amp charger for a little 16 amp hour battery and 20 amp for over 16 AH.

AGMs on maintainers over winter have lasted many years for me. YMMV

Good luck.

GD

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I have a 6 volt 1000ca Optima red top that I put in my 1955 VW in August, 2004. It starts a high compression 1700cc engine but it is finally getting weak. I'd say that's good service. I keep it on a Deltran Battery tender when it sits.
I'm selling the car this Summer and will replace it with another 6 volt Optima.
I run the Odyssey sealed AGM in my Dodge, Cummins powered. It takes two batteries. Cranks over like it is on 24 volts.

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Go to batteryuniversity.com and you will learn more about all batteries than you ever knew.
Type in AGM in the search bar and it will take you right to all of the courses with AGMs in them.
And it is free.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I had a bran new AGM battery for my riding mower. It worked great....but.....I left the key on for a number of days, running it completely down. I found out that once an AGM battery is completely down, it cannot be charged...it is finished.
I tried for weeks to get this thing to take a charge....it was finished and I wasted some good $$$$.
Talked to other people about it and found that this is how they are.
Along with special maintainer/charger for AGM, I believe to bring a dead AGM back there is a specific way to do so.

It has been some time since I read about it, but I think a standard battery is needed and possibly doing it in steps.

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Go to batteryuniversity.com and you will learn more about all batteries than you ever knew....
Thanks for posting this; I bookmarked it immediately. Hopefully a lot of answers to questions I might have. Like for example, I kept a (smart) tender on my AGM Harley last winter, as I always have done, then two weeks ago I went to start it and nothing. When I removed the batt and tried several chargers ranging from 2A to 50A charge rates I did not even get a spark across the terminals/posts. I am considering a lithium batt, but did not want to jump in with no advanced knowledge. The battery site you provided may help with my decision. But I can state one thing with confidence, the itch to ride is starting to overwhelm!

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I can tell you from experience a standard charger on a dead optima will make it swell up like a balloon and be as hot a baked potato.

To properly charge you need their charger or you hook 2 batteries together then charge. Hook a known good battery to the dead one with cables then hook up the charger and slow charge.

If you go to Optima site they have a lot of good info about use and care for their products.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I can tell you from experience a standard charger on a dead optima will make it swell up like a balloon and be as hot a baked potato.

To properly charge you need their charger or you hook 2 batteries together then charge. Hook a known good battery to the dead one with cables then hook up the charger and slow charge.

If you go to Optima site they have a lot of good info about use and care for their products.
Bulldog is correct. Youtube has several video's on how to properly revive a dead AGM battery.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Thanks for posting this; I bookmarked it immediately. Hopefully a lot of answers to questions I might have. Like for example, I kept a (smart) tender on my AGM Harley last winter, as I always have done, then two weeks ago I went to start it and nothing. When I removed the batt and tried several chargers ranging from 2A to 50A charge rates I did not even get a spark across the terminals/posts. I am considering a lithium batt, but did not want to jump in with no advanced knowledge. The battery site you provided may help with my decision. But I can state one thing with confidence, the itch to ride is starting to overwhelm!
I have a BMW R1200GS and I looked into a Lithium battery. They can be finicky. I went with a YUASA AGM and it starts well.