Dirt and water in fuel tank

Tasneem

Apr 20, 2019
Perkasie, pa
I accidentally left the cap off the diesel tank of my L6060, now there's dirt and water in there. What do I need to do? Is just emptying it out enough, or do I need to somehow flush and clean it? Either way, what's the best way to empty it? I'm new to tractor maintenance, need beginner level advice. Thanks!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Oh crum, I think if your tractor is like the 3560 it has a split fuel tank. Do not do anything faintly like starting your tractor for fear any of the crud gets near the high pressure fuel pump and injectors. Can you get a wsm and look for directions on lowering fuel tank? Actually start with talking to dealer, pick up fuel filters and see if he has suggestions on best way to clean out tank. Something might be better than trying to siphon out both halves. With luck most of it is on the side with the fill. Will look in my shop manual later.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I was kind of in a hurry earlier, but have thought about your problem a litttle more. To start with, here is a link to a thread that will help you understand the fuel flow in an L60 series tractor. It is more complicated than some of the older tractors.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35336

I said don't run your tractor, but in theory the water separator should remove the water, and the fuel filter should get the dirt out. However the dirty fuel on its way through the lines can contaminate the lines themselves, a fuel reservoir, and a fuel cooler before reaching the fuel filter. Dirt or dust and water are breeding grounds for "algae" since fungal or bacterial spores could have blown in while the cap was off. This would lead to other problems later. So the sooner you can clean out the tanks the better.

The wsm has the directions for removing the fuel tanks and it is conceptually simple but requires support stands and disconnecting a bunch of stuff. Would be last on my list.

So unless your dealer has some suggestions, I would see what kind of pump or siphon you can rig up and start with the right hand tank.

When it is clean, change the fuel filter and clean out the water separator. Add a biocide to clean fuel.

Tasneem

Apr 20, 2019
Perkasie, pa
Thanks for your reply! Does it change your opinion at all to know that we ran it for a while before realizing that the cap was off? It was chisel plowing for a couple hours and then after that sitting in the rain, and THEN we realized the cap had been off the whole time. It didn't have any problems running or anything.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Because the high pressure pump and the common rail stuff is highly sensitive to water, and really expensive, I err on the side of being an alarmist. Water will tend to settle to the bottom of the tank with the fill. Try to clean that tank out with a siphon and by rinsing with clean diesel. Do this before you drive it again and chance moving the water to the second tank. After that change the fuel filter, clean the water separator, and add an additive that will manage the water in the system and inhibit bacterial growth. Change the fuel filter again in a few weeks, and look for water in the separator.

BUT think about talking with your dealer. The cost of him managing this cleaning etc might be worth it if the engine and fuel system are still under the 5 year warranty. If something happened to the common rail/dpf system the cost is really great, and anything you do might void the warranty.

How new is the tractor and have you done fuel filter changes on it before? Do you have the Owners Manual? Has the directions for bleeding fuel lines in it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was working on a welder that has set for 12 years, and needed to get all the "stuff" out of the fuel tank.

I got all I could with a hose extension on a turkey baster. Then uses a clean wash cloth wrapped with a #9 wire to move around to attract what was on the bottom. Then put fresh gas in and repeated the process. Worked fine in that application. Perhaps something similar would work for your diesel tank.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
We had water in the 2200. After changing filters, draining water from the tank, and bleeding the lines, it started and ran great- until it was under a load for a while. Then it started acting like it was starving. Someone here said to put biocide in it when I first had problems, but I didn't- figured it didn't need to be done THAT day. After it started acting up under a load, I put some biocide in. Hasn't acted like it's starving since. GET SOME BIOCIDE!

Tasneem

Apr 20, 2019
Perkasie, pa
Thank you everyone! I think we got it drained and cleaned out pretty well, now just have to change the fuel filter and clean the water separator. I'll see about getting some biocide. Appreciate the advice!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sometimes we need a process to follow to keep us out of trouble.

When I go get round bales from the enclosed hay storage area I always get off the tractor when I get through the gate and close it. No exceptions. Before I came to that conclusion, I didn't and I had cattle eating in there for a day wasting hay and making a mess.

Same with fueling a machine. As soon as you put the nozzle up, or set the can down, install the cap. Force yourself to follow a pattern and you have less grief!

Teach others around your machine the same practice, because their neglect can cause you problems.