Need some quick buying advice

KHW59

Equipment
L-3901 Brushhog, Finish mower, road planner, box blade.
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
My B3350 has left me stranded for the last time. Looking at a new L3091 this afternoon for replacement.
What I mainly have it for is dirt road maintenance with a land planer, using a grapple, and volunteering to help maintain a local ballpark (roads and field mowing with a finishing mower)
The B3350 issue is the Regen(again). Despite following the manual, it cannot be worked at the same time as a regen. It has left me stranded now many times. And I am handicapped that is unacceptable. I have to wait 20/30 minutes for a cooldown before I can start it again. (then complete the regen parked)
Will getting away for the B3350 resolve some of the issues?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
How concerned are you with rutting up the fields? The L3901 is heavier than the B3350 by around 800 lbs.

Why not a B2650? Is the field really hilly? How wide is the finish mower?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Buy a used pre-tier 4 tractor and forget about regen all together or get a Mahindra. They don't regen. They do break regularly however.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The B2650 does not require regeneration at all, and is a little less powerful than the B3350, otherwise basically the same tractor. The B3350 has been star crossed for many people. The other models, the L01 series that you are looking at, and the L60 series, like L3560, are bigger and heavier, and have rarely had problems with regeneration. The engines and method of regen are completely different. If you want a mid PTO or a cab you might have to look at the L3560.

Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience with the 3350.

KHW59

Equipment
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
Just returned from the Dealer. I am known there and seeing how mad I was he called in the owner and the shop manager to hear my complaint. Both were not pleased about my situation as they had tried to resolve before. I was asked not to trade it in so its issue could be forced higher for resolution. (even a buyback or regen replacement) They pick it up tomorrow. I agreed. I am still under the emissions warranty so I dampened the emotions. A case file is being put together.
But, since I was there, I looked at the other tractors I was considering. All prior comments were spot on. Too big for the ballpark mowing and I did not realize the B3350 had so many standard comforts not found on the L series.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There are a number of "fixes" and upgrades that have been mentioned by folks for the B3350, and they apparently work to solve the regen issues. Your problem sounds a little different from most, so it will be interesting to see if they come up with a solution. A buy back would be nice. The current rumor is they are going to outfit the next edition of B3350s with a different engine, common rail, and go to a regen method like the L tractors which has been basically trouble free by comparison. Maybe you can talk them into loaning you a tractor in the meantime. A B2650 with turf tires and a MMM or a rear finish mower would be great for mowing a ballpark.

KHW59

Equipment
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
There are a number of "fixes" and upgrades that have been mentioned by folks for the B3350, and they apparently work to solve the regen issues. Your problem sounds a little different from most, so it will be interesting to see if they come up with a solution. A buy back would be nice. The current rumor is they are going to outfit the next edition of B3350s with a different engine, common rail, and go to a regen method like the L tractors which has been basically trouble free by comparison. Maybe you can talk them into loaning you a tractor in the meantime. A B2650 with turf tires and a MMM or a rear finish mower would be great for mowing a ballpark.
I see what fix is come up with to resolve the problem. I have a Gravely Pro152 I can use as a backup for cutting the fields. I may be in a wheelchair but I set the B3350 and the Gravely for me to be able to use. I aint veggin a chair.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I am disappointed the dealer took the B3350 in for repair and didnt work with you on an alternate machine. Based on everything I have read on the machine, you will likely have issues again. I looked very closely at this tractor a couple of years ago. It is unfortunate to hear.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
It's nice the dealer wants to make it right for you, but I'd be getting rid of that thing if they don't offer a buyback. You could very well have more issues down the road once it's out of warranty.

I don't blame the dealer for wanting to make it right. If you traded it in as is, it was like they let you down.. Meanwhile the machine isn't reliable. Nothing the dealer can really do about that because buy it back or giving you a great deal on a trade.

KHW59

Equipment
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
It's nice the dealer wants to make it right for you, but I'd be getting rid of that thing if they don't offer a buyback. You could very well have more issues down the road once it's out of warranty.

I don't blame the dealer for wanting to make it right. If you traded it in as is, it was like they let you down.. Meanwhile the machine isn't reliable. Nothing the dealer can really do about that because buy it back or giving you a great deal on a trade.
I am keeping my options open.

KHW59

Equipment
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
Follow-up update.
The shop really tried their hardest to get it running(consistently) ERR21 finally was displayed hard and the tractor ground to a halt and stayed there. The ECM and wiring harness is called out for replacement. In the change out it was noticed that each had corrosion. The Dash panel was found to also have corrosion, so it got replaced. Ran fine on a PTO dyno until Regen. Blower gave up the ghost.
So...The dealer has stepped up for me. 12K trade-in and a New L3901 setup for me to pick-up next week.

BTW....The B3350 was barn stowed.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I see what fix is come up with to resolve the problem. I have a Gravely Pro152 I can use as a backup for cutting the fields. I may be in a wheelchair but I set the B3350 and the Gravely for me to be able to use. I aint veggin a chair.
How are you able to get from the chair on to the tractor. Are you able to transfer by yourself? Without help from my sons I can not get from a chair to my L2501. I have two bad knees. I get up on the tailgate of my truck and then my son parks the tractor parallel to the tailgate. With help I move to the tractor tire and then up and over the fender. It isn't fun but I like to be on my tractor.

KHW59

Equipment
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
How are you able to get from the chair on to the tractor. Are you able to transfer by yourself? Without help from my sons I can not get from a chair to my L2501. I have two bad knees. I get up on the tailgate of my truck and then my son parks the tractor parallel to the tailgate. With help I move to the tractor tire and then up and over the fender. It isn't fun but I like to be on my tractor.
I have some strength still in my right leg. The left will maintain balance but not lift me. I used to be a powerlifter so my upper body still has the power. (I used to bench 473lb) I widened the step on the 3350 to accommodate being able to place both feet on it. I may not need any modification to get on the L3901 as I have already been on it. Seat time will tell.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
BigG, there are places that will help you figure out what modifications will work. I had a medical issue that required me to take a driving re-evaluation this week, and I saw a compact JD parked near the rehab unit, and joked to the gal "how about I take the test on the tractor instead?" And she said actually some people bring their tractors in and we figure out how to modify the controls etc so they can go back to being independent. The minivan I took my test in had all sorts of modifications on it. Sounds like you have partly solved the problem, but you'd probably like it better if you could do it yourself. Michigan is kind of far from you, but maybe if you look up a local occupational therapist they will know someone close by.

Ps to my great relief I passed. Was sweating like a teenager when I got done, but did all the freeway merges and left turns onto double lanes etcetc correctly. :D

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sheepfarmer, good job on passing your test.

It is great to see the different ones not allowing life's challenges to keep them from something they love and enjoy.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You mention that you are in a chair. So am I and I was wondering how are you able to get on and off your tractor? I have a L2501 and I need the help of my son to get onto it. I climb onto the tailgate of my pickup and then my son pulls the tractor up parallel to the tailgate. I am able, with help, to slide onto the tire and then over the fender to the seat.

I need 2 new knees but the dr will not do them yet. So I was wondering if you came up with an easier way to get up on the tractor.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
You mention that you are in a chair. So am I and I was wondering how are you able to get on and off your tractor? I have a L2501 and I need the help of my son to get onto it. I climb onto the tailgate of my pickup and then my son pulls the tractor up parallel to the tailgate. I am able, with help, to slide onto the tire and then over the fender to the seat.

I need 2 new knees but the dr will not do them yet. So I was wondering if you came up with an easier way to get up on the tractor.
Have you looked at this site?
http://www.agrability.org/