Z121S versus Bad Boy Zero Turn

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
This is just a friendly comparison. My neighbor and I bought our zero turns within a couple months of each other. I figured I would post a comparison of the two just for general info.

Both mowers have the same size 48" deck and 27hp Kohler engines and the same transaxles. Both look almost Identicle as well.

I got a chance to operate his mower yesterday. Just running it around the yard after he got it stuck :D Actually, I had to fix his, hence the comparison.

Pros on the Bad Boy: trap door over the deck for easy access to the drive belts and for clean out. Push button deck lift and lower.

Negatives: Neutral position isn't defined for the control levers. (Not really intuitive on where to place them for start up and parking). Clunky working parking brake (arm fell off when I parked the mower and catches on a bolt when tightened properly). Fuel tank is plastic which isnt a big deal, but is mounted to the outside of the frame and can be prone to puncturing in the wrong circumstances. Neighbors has a good gouge where he clipped a tree branch. Separate choke on the opposite side of the mower from the key switch. (Not really a big deal, but counter intuitive for someone who wouldn't use it very often. On off and operators station could have had a little more thought put into it. No rops or seat belt. Hard seat with no suspension, and very little cushion.

Kubota Z121S pros: Intuitive operators station. Really simple to use throttle/ choke lever combo mounted next to the key switch and engagement switch for the mower blades. No other switches or buttons on the opposite side of the mower. Lights for those late evening mowing where you just need those last few passes to finish. Switch is mounted next to the hour meter. Fuel tank mounted under the seat so it's less apt to be damaged. Suspension seat with a shock that can be dialed in for the user. Straight forward deck height settings. Rops, and seat belt.

Negatives: Price is about $1000 more then the Bad Boy. Deck lift is foot operated. Press to raise and lock the deck up. Press again to lower the deck. Need to also press the deck raise/ lower tab or lock the deck up in order to change the deck height. No trap door to access the top of the deck to inspect belts or clean out the debris. No option to fold the ROPS down to get around any low lying branches.