L3600 won't engage 4wd

Retriever Believer

Equipment
L3600GST w/FEL & box
Jun 27, 2016
Redding
I have a L3600GST and the 4wd lever won't move. I have tried to lift it up to engage 4wd while in neutral, when the tractor is rolling, with the front wheels off the ground, etc. The lever won't budge.

The front wheels are not engaged and will spin freely. I hate to put a cheater bar on the lever. Anyone with a clue as to how to get this machine into 4wd?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the lever is not moving at all, rust or corrosion could be an issue, spray some penetrating oil on the joint it goes into the case.

Don't put too much force on it as it's fairly easy to brake the linkage.

Attachments

Retriever Believer

Equipment
L3600GST w/FEL & box
Jun 27, 2016
Redding
Four wheel drive lever still will not move to engage 4WD. I sprayed penetrating oil on it and it is still frozen up. Put the tractor up for the rainy season but now it is time to start getting it going.

Any hints as to what I should do next?

Thanks.

Retriever Believer

Equipment
L3600GST w/FEL & box
Jun 27, 2016
Redding
If I drain the transmission and remove the cover plate over the belly PTO shaft, will I be able to see anything up there related to the 4WD linkage?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My brake pedals were sticking,so i repeatedly applied penetrating oil and a few light taps with my tiny ball peen hammer. When it loosened up it was almost a week. Been fine ever since.

If your lever is stuck solid thats likely the issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it still won't work, your next option is not a good one, you're going to need to split it and find out what is going on with the gear or the shaft.

Does the lever move at all? :confused:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On my L305 that lever would not move at all. Tractor had set outside for about 5 years. I bathed it with KROIL a few times over several days time. Seems like lever down is 2 wheel dr., up is 4 x 4. Anyways the lever needed to come up to get it to move.

I placed a block of wood on the left side deck. Then proceeded to "gently" apply some pressure in the upward position with a 4' bar using the wood as a leverage point. It came up actually quite easily and has worked fine since.

I waited to post any answer because you are taking a risk of causing some grief if too much pressure is applied too soon. Might get some help to gently tap on the shaft as YOU apply pressure. (that way if it doesn't give up, you can't blame your wife, or best friend!!)

solaman70592

Equipment
L4200DT-GST-C
Apr 17, 2016
Youngsville, La. USA
Before splitting it, i'd remove the bolt (item 40) that holds the stopper plate (item 30). this will let you pull the shaft (item 10) outward about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. If the shaft does not move then it is probably corroded in the differential case, if it does slide outward any amount then there is probably something internal in the differential that is fubar.
FYI i just changed the o-ring (item 20) this past weekend on my L4200 GST and they are basically the same. The problem i had was getting the change lever off the shift lever, I had to split the change lever with a cutting blade wedge it open and heat it to get it off the shift lever, and with the stopper plate loose the shift lever moves outward a little.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's not looking good, as that is an internally lubed (O-ring sealed) shaft, so the chances of it being corroded are very very low. ;)

Retriever Believer

Equipment
L3600GST w/FEL & box
Jun 27, 2016
Redding
Wolfman,

You think the problem is more likely in the transmission than in the front end? When you say split the case, you mean separate the transmission from the engine? Would I be able to see anything if I remove the bracket holding the belly PTO? What would be the first step in splitting the case?

Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No sadly removing the Mid PTO wouldn't do anything for you as the FWD gear set is to the rear of that cover.

Yes when i say split it, i mean split the transmission from the rear end.

before you split it, give the lever a good solid jerk, if the detent balls have never moved they will be stuck and a good yank on the lever might free them up.

This is the detent balls and springs that are inside the case and gear.

And this is the lever that moves the gear.

Attachments