Rear Bonnet removal on L2501?

WoodyBlue

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 18, 2017
Taylorsville, KY, USA
So I am gonna install some LED's on my new L2501DT and I want to add a couple of switches to the dash/gauge area of the rear bonnet. The WSM says I need to pull the steering wheel to remove the rear bonnet. What have other done? I see the tool required by Kubota is a $750.00 tool. That ain't gonna happen.

Options and techniques please. Will an after-market wheel puller do the job?

Pic as well as text on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US
An after market steering wheel puller probably won't work because of the design of the steering wheel.
loosen steering wheel nut till the nut is at the top of the threads tap on the nut while pulling up on the steering wheel.
If that don't work use some p.b. blaster or other penetrating fluid and have a helper pull up on the steering wheel while you hit the nut.
Do not hit the threads it will ruin the shaft. And make sure the nut is on far enough that your helper won't eat the steering wheel when it comes loose. Sorry no pictures.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

WoodyBlue

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 18, 2017
Taylorsville, KY, USA
An after market steering wheel puller probably won't work because of the design of the steering wheel.
loosen steering wheel nut till the nut is at the top of the threads tap on the nut while pulling up on the steering wheel.
If that don't work use some p.b. blaster or other penetrating fluid and have a helper pull up on the steering wheel while you hit the nut.
Do not hit the threads it will ruin the shaft. And make sure the nut is on far enough that your helper won't eat the steering wheel when it comes loose. Sorry no pictures.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Thank you

I believe the process is called harmonic shock. I was taught it with regards to the blades shafts on my scag mower. hit the nut on opposite sides at the same time with two roughly identical hammers and it will break the grip without hurting the nut or the threads. I had not thought of using that technique.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
All I done was remove the nut and a firm hit and pulling up with my hands while sitting in the seat. My tractor was about a year old when I done that so it wasn't seized on.