L3800 dead cylinder

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Just upgraded my factory fuel filter to a racor model for better filtration and for the water separator. Once I got the lines bled and the engine running it's only firing on the first two cylinders. Third cylinder is dead, I've cracked all the fuel lines and I'm getting fuel every time but just not firing.

What are the odds something was in the filter and made its way to the injector? Going to tackle this in the morning as I need my tractor just need a sense of direction on what to look for next.

Also I will add I returned the lines to the factory fuel filter and it's still only hitting on two cylinders.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can move the injectors to different cylinders and see if problem follows the injector

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I would be surprised if it's a stuck injectior as it only has 160 hours on it. I will note that I can crack the injector line on #3 cylinder while it's running and I get a good amount of bubbles before I get a steady flow of diesel. And anytime I reopen it I will get bubbles. I've ran it over an hour so even if it did have air in that line surely it would have worked it's way through.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
Did you do any thing with the lines on top of the injection pump.Check the nut under the line going into the injection pump. It takes a 19MM wrench.Check and be sure it is tight. If it is lose that cylinder will not fire. Some times when bleeding the system these nuts come lose.

Good Luck Lance

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Hello
Did you do any thing with the lines on top of the injection pump.Check the nut under the line going into the injection pump. It takes a 19MM wrench.Check and be sure it is tight. If it is lose that cylinder will not fire. Some times when bleeding the system these nuts come lose.

Good Luck Lance
The one that has some sort of clamp on all the lines? I'll have to check that. But even if that's loose would I still get fuel to the injector like I am? Just not enough to fire

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Any air in the injection line will keep the injector from popping as it will no get it up to pressure. ;)

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I would be surprised if it's a stuck injectior as it only has 160 hours on it. I will note that I can crack the injector line on #3 cylinder while it's running and I get a good amount of bubbles before I get a steady flow of diesel. And anytime I reopen it I will get bubbles. I've ran it over an hour so even if it did have air in that line surely it would have worked it's way through.
Your first quote you said you were getting fuel to all three. Apparently things have changed? Sounds like it's sucking air from some place.

Pat

wiltff

Equipment
L3800 HST & FEL. 66" LP Tiller, 72" EA Boxblade, 84" Woods disc, 96" rake
Aug 6, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I was going to do the fuel line swap today on the same project. I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the bracket I fabbed. Did you clamp the lines to the injectors or just back to the fuel tank?

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Your first quote you said you were getting fuel to all three. Apparently things have changed? Sounds like it's sucking air from some place.

Pat
Yes getting fuel to all three. I can open the one to the #3 cylinder while running once diesel starts flowing out and down the engine, I tighten it back down and it's still missing. I'm wondering if it's something way simple I'm overlooking.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I was going to do the fuel line swap today on the same project. I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the bracket I fabbed. Did you clamp the lines to the injectors or just back to the fuel tank?
What are you trying to do with yours? I added a racor fuel filter in place of the factory one. That's when I started having trouble, even though I put everything back to factory my issue continues.

I just clamped the line right out of the fuel tank.

wiltff

Equipment
Aug 6, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
What are you trying to do with yours? I added a racor fuel filter in place of the factory one. That's when I started having trouble, even though I put everything back to factory my issue continues.

I just clamped the line right out of the fuel tank.
I think you did the same thing that Rokee95 upgraded. That's what I'm almost done with. Just getting ready to make the fuel line changes. I wonder if not clamping the line to the motor allowed an air bubble in there, vapor lock??? You did say you have fuel to each cylinder? Even going back to factory uyou have issues? Any changes?

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Well everything is good now. Line coming out of the injection pump was loose about 1/16th of a turn. It's firing all cylinders but it doesn't sound right when its at idle going to WOT. It's probably normal although working with it running for several hours, it just sounds off to me.

Anyone have a idea where to route the stock vent line? I still have to hooked to the factory filter housing for now.

wiltff

Equipment
Aug 6, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Well everything is good now. Line coming out of the injection pump was loose about 1/16th of a turn. It's firing all cylinders but it doesn't sound right when its at idle going to WOT. It's probably normal although working with it running for several hours, it just sounds off to me.

Anyone have a idea where to route the stock vent line? I still have to hooked to the factory filter housing for now.
Glad to hear it's running better. Hopefully its your ears playing games with you. I was debating what to do with the vent line also. I was thinking of just plugging if off

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
So what's the deal with the aftermarket filter? What's wrong with the factory-installed fuel filter/separator assembly? I PDI'd and delivered hundreds of the L series (3200, 3800, 4600) and nary a one has had any problem that wasn't due to owner or operator neglect, so I don't see a big need in redesigning the factory setup?

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
So what's the deal with the aftermarket filter? What's wrong with the factory-installed fuel filter/separator assembly? I PDI'd and delivered hundreds of the L series (3200, 3800, 4600) and nary a one has had any problem that wasn't due to owner or operator neglect, so I don't see a big need in redesigning the factory setup?
Reasons I upgraded. There is no fuel cut off with the factory housing, changing the filter you get a constant flow of diesel until you get finished changing it.
It hangs down very low unprotected and is made of thin plastic. A stick could easily damage it, or a vine could wrap around it ripping the engine mount off leaving me stranded and draining my entire fuel tank.

Easier to drain water out with my setup now. It's now up and out of the way. Also a larger filter with a smaller micron size to better protect my injection pump and injectors.