Did the dealer overfill my tires ?

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I have a bx25d with the rear tires loaded with rim guard and I cannot check the air pressure in the tires without the rim guard coming out . To check the pressures I first lift the rear tires off the ground with the stabilizers , I then put the tractor in neutral and rotate the valve stem to 12 clock . I then give the tire a shot of air to purge the valve stem of rim guard . But even after that I still get nothing but fluid . Should I drain some out ? Or is it just air pressure pushing the fluid out ?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If your valve stem is at 12 o'clock and you depress the valve you may in fact get some blown out. However if you hear a bubbling sound when you put air in the tire,, YES it is over filled.
I have seen/heard of tire guys laying a tire on its side and filling it until the juice comes out of the stem. There should be fluid up to the stem and that's all, because the small air space above the stem is what cushions the tire and should be what ever the required tire pressure is.
Were it me,, and only me now,, I would just jack the tractor up put the stem at 12 and press in the valve until the flow stops,,,Fill with the required pressure and be on my way. Im sure someone may be able to maybe make it easier to understand, i dont explain thing to well some times.:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If your valve stem is at 12 o'clock and you depress the valve you may in fact get some blown out. However if you hear a bubbling sound when you put air in the tire,, YES it is over filled.
I have seen/heard of tire guys laying a tire on its side and filling it until the juice comes out of the stem. There should be fluid up to the stem and that's all, because the small air space above the stem is what cushions the tire and should be what ever the required tire pressure is.
Were it me,, and only me now,, I would just jack the tractor up put the stem at 12 and press in the valve until the flow stops,,,Fill with the required pressure and be on my way. Im sure someone may be able to maybe make it easier to understand, i dont explain thing to well some times.:D
Skeets,
I think you nailed it - could not have said it better! ;)

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Skeets has it mostly right. If I heard the bubbling, I would get stem to 12:00 position, remove the valve core body, and put a bucket under the valve stem, and slowly release pressure. You might not be able to do it slow, I've never worked with the beet pulp. you might just have to hang on to the valve core, as the pulp is exploding out. Having a couple spare valve cores would probably be a good idea. Once you have removed the core, and the stuff continues to fart out. let down the jack, and it will squeeze out the excess pulp. Re install valve core body ant air it back up to spec.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Thanks guys , figured they must be overfilled. I bet that would be part of the reason why it rides so ruff too. You can feel every little bump, stone , or stick right now .

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Four years ago I bought 4 tires, 4 tubes and 2 rear rims. I took them to a local tire shop to have them mounted. They had given me a price to fill the tires with X numbers of gallons of calcium. They filled 1 tire completely and the second was only filled half way and had 41 psi in each.:eek: :eek: They sent out a service truck and fixed the problem. The person that filled them was fired, (not the first time they had done this), and they refunded the cost of having them filled and mounted.:)

BMike

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 25, 2014
Shelbyville, Ky U.S.
Hold up don't waste you beet juice! There are two methods of filling tires 75% and 90%. At 75% no fluid is above the stem that is correct at 90% the fluid will be over the stem. Most dealers will fill the smaller tires to 90% to give the coustomer as much ballest as they can without using wheel weights. If you think the tire is too full, unbolt it and shake it side to side it you hear it slosh it is not too full. They have a special tool to bleed air out when filling with the juice, when fluid comes out it's full. To check pressure use an inexpensive tire gage as it might nnot work the next time you want to use it.

henrysbe

Equipment
l3400 woods bh80 backhoe post hole digger brush hog box blade rototiller
Jun 26, 2011
Sedro Woolley wa
I have checked the fluid level in a tire by thumping it with a metal rod. When the thump changes tone is where the level is. I know a tire dealer that uses this method. :)

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Hold up don't waste you beet juice! There are two methods of filling tires 75% and 90%. At 75% no fluid is above the stem that is correct at 90% the fluid will be over the stem. Most dealers will fill the smaller tires to 90% to give the coustomer as much ballest as they can without using wheel weights. If you think the tire is too full, unbolt it and shake it side to side it you hear it slosh it is not too full. They have a special tool to bleed air out when filling with the juice, when fluid comes out it's full. To check pressure use an inexpensive tire gage as it might nnot work the next time you want to use it.
You are right about the 90% fill . Just had a rear tire repaired and the tire shop said same thing . Long story short , they fixed the tire and filled it back up to 90%. Also bought a better pressure gauge. Works good , best thing is you rinse it out with warm water after getting the rim guard in it .