light output led lights to halogen bulbs

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I know LEDs are a strange animal to me, and I cannot find any articles that compare one to the other. But then I may not be asking the right question. So I ask here. How does one compare the light output of say a 55watt halogen spot light to an equivalent LED spot light.
I know they list them in watts, but before I spend boucoup danarois on a LED light bar, I would like to find out how to compare one against the other. I have my lights 2, 55 watt halogen driving lights mounted on the ROPS ( which I cant seem to get downloaded) and would like to replace them with a low profile LED light bar. And I want the same or maybe better light out put for night time use of the tractor, (well duhh why else would i want them huh,,lol) any ideas here guys?

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
KC lights web site has some good info as well as Piaa site. Nice thing about led lights is that you can run a lot of them. They don't take much power . Myself I don't care for them . Most of the time that I need lights is now for doing leaves after work and snow blowing at night . The color of light is SO white that it doesn't work well with the white snow blowing around. And they don't give off enough heat to keep the snow melted off them .

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I know LEDs are a strange animal to me, and I cannot find any articles that compare one to the other. But then I may not be asking the right question. So I ask here. How does one compare the light output of say a 55watt halogen spot light to an equivalent LED spot light.
I know they list them in watts, but before I spend boucoup danarois on a LED light bar, I would like to find out how to compare one against the other. I have my lights 2, 55 watt halogen driving lights mounted on the ROPS ( which I cant seem to get downloaded) and would like to replace them with a low profile LED light bar. And I want the same or maybe better light out put for night time use of the tractor, (well duhh why else would i want them huh,,lol) any ideas here guys?
Watts have very little to do with light, Watts are a unit of electrical power consumption. Light "brightness" is measured in Lumens :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit)

A halogen light is very powerful, yet gets very hot and uses a lot of energy per unit of light. I have installed 4 - 4" square LED lights on my ROPS, they are very strong, provide plenty of light, more than one could really need, and they draw a fraction of the electricity of a halogen light, cost a bit more, but "should" last longer. LEDS do burn out - but are a little longer lasting than a bulb. The only problem with a light bar is that it is not directly pointing in the direction that you might want it to point, it will provide lots of light, most you cannot tweak to point where you want them.

All LED lights are impressive - the bars look sharp and are well worth the money too! I think you will be very happy once you have them all hooked up.

KenKubtoa

Equipment
M7040
Sep 15, 2013
Wakeman, Oh
If you go LED check Rigid brand, but note they will not always melt the snow off of the light in winter use. I had a set of Rigid 4 x 4 led lights on my motorcycle and it was brighter than my new F150 on high beams. I used a snap on amber plastic cover that worked great in rain or fog, never tried snow.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
It is not hard to get LED's that out perform traditional lights. That whole lumens, candlepower etc calculations thing is still rough because the type and sources are not comparable but the formula's help as much as they can.

My understanding is that the CREE built LED's are the best quality, life span and are brighter than others. I am getting ready to hang about 35,000 lumens of LED on my crawler. I bet I won't have any problems seeing my dump truck for loading at night. :D:D

TxDoc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
ZG227
Apr 19, 2013
Texas
Cree*First to Break*300 Lumens-Per-Watt Barrier

March 26, 2014
Cree First to Break 300 Lumens-Per-Watt Barrier
Continues to Push the Boundaries of LED Performance
DURHAM, NC -- Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE) records another significant LED milestone with the demonstration of 303 lumens per watt from a white, high-power LED. Reaching the landmark achievement much faster than previously believed possible, this result surpasses Cree’s previous R&D industry-best of 276 lumens per watt announced just over a year ago.

Cree Reaches 303-LPW LED Milestone“This is truly an impressive accomplishment. Achieving this level of LED efficacy amplifies the potential for the solid-state-lighting industry to deliver smaller, lower-cost lighting solutions, and even larger-than-expected energy savings,” said Steven DenBaars, professor and co-director, Solid State Lighting and Energy Center, University of California, Santa Barbara.

Cree reports that the LED efficacy was measured at 303 lumens per watt, at a correlated color temperature of 5150 K and 350 mA. Standard room temperature was used to achieve the results.

“Relentless innovation is a driving force at Cree as we continue the pursuit of 100-percent LED adoption,” said John Edmond, Cree co-founder and director of advanced optoelectronics. “Pushing the boundaries of LED performance is critical to enhancing LED lighting designs, and this 303 lumens-per-watt result will enable more cost-effective lighting solutions.”

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It is not hard to get LED's that out perform traditional lights. That whole lumens, candlepower etc calculations thing is still rough because the type and sources are not comparable but the formula's help as much as they can.

My understanding is that the CREE built LED's are the best quality, life span and are brighter than others. I am getting ready to hang about 35,000 lumens of LED on my crawler. I bet I won't have any problems seeing my dump truck for loading at night. :D:D

Based on the light you gonna have.....the dark side of the moon will have light now!! :eek::D

LED's are gonna change the way we see things , figuratively and literally, I read somewhere there are companies that are replacing 4' Flo tubes with some type of LED based tube, something about removal of the ballast and drop the voltage and the light output is off the chart ! I have see the light candlelabra lights you put in a chandelier - the are really bright!!!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...b-BPCFC-LED-RP/203434256?N=5yc1vZbm79Z1z0x2e1

damn things are still expensive as hell - but it to will come down in price.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Ridgid Industrys for the win!

http://www.rigidindustries.com

Rigid is using the CREE product in their packages. Other assemblers are using CREE also but at a fraction of the "rigid" brand name price. If I could afford Rigid I would buy them but I am getting the same product for a lot less dough. With the 35,000 lumens I am hanging on my crawler I would have to cash my 401 if this was all "Rigid."

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Based on the light you gonna have.....the dark side of the moon will have light now!! :eek::D

Funny you say that. I was just saying to a friend the other day that people driving down my road are going to see the light glare in the sky and think they are approaching a stadium. LOL :D I will probably light this thing up and drive down the road just to see if it really does luminate the sky. :)

Just look for products that have the CREE led components and you can buy a lot of lumens for a lot less price. I hung 2,200 lumens on my four wheeler about two years ago for less than $100. At that time this amount of light was priced a little over three times what I paid. Now 2,200 lumens is about $25 -$40 depending on the configuration of bar or just a light.

My Kubota is going to get LED's pretty soon too. :D

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA

I say shop ebay for a light bar that is the length you would like to fit to the ROP or canopy. Make sure the bar is built with CREE led components and drivers and you will have the best quality that exists in LED technology right now. There are short bars and long bars for about any fit you want. I got LED light bars that are spot in the middle and flood on each end. This way you can aim it for your focus area and have light all around there also with the floods on each end. I love this set up in the light bars.

You need 7,000 lumens to meet or exceed your two 55 watt lamps. At 7,000 it is just a little over your total of 110 watts and even a short light bar can have over 7,000 lumens.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Just dropped off my buddy at the field where the tractor was. Three HID's pointing forward,bright like daylight. Going to ask where they came from. Said they werent really pricey. But to a farmer, 450.00 is a proverbial drop in the bucket.

Have seen a variety of led's available lately, i especially like the marine ones,stainless hardware totally waterproof. It all boils down to budget,in my case its kinda low.

TxDoc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
ZG227
Apr 19, 2013
Texas
Not sure if it was mentioned, but the curved light bars give you even a wider area of sweep of light coverage.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I cant speak for Cree but Ive seen Ridgid first hand. And when a freight train flashes its lights to get you to turn yours off. Thats insane bright

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How do the leds do in a snow storm?

That snow makes them even brighter! Seriously the snow will add to the brightness reflecting 90%+ of the light. At the same time blowing snow is blowing snow and that LIGHT will be bounced back like any reflective light.:eek:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just dropped off my buddy at the field where the tractor was. Three HID's pointing forward,bright like daylight. Going to ask where they came from. Said they werent really pricey. But to a farmer, 450.00 is a proverbial drop in the bucket.

Have seen a variety of led's available lately, i especially like the marine ones,stainless hardware totally waterproof. It all boils down to budget,in my case its kinda low.
TJ,

these are very similar to the 4 I have on my ROPS - these have come down in price by about 30% since I bought them, bright enough to do anything you want to do ! Getting 4 of these under $75 .......good bang for the buck! Mine cost $110 for 4 and they do everything well.

http://www.amazon.com/1260lm-Cree-S...414331011&sr=8-4&keywords=led+off+road+lights

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
TJ,

these are very similar to the 4 I have on my ROPS - these have come down in price by about 30% since I bought them, bright enough to do anything you want to do ! Getting 4 of these under $75 .......good bang for the buck! Mine cost $110 for 4 and they do everything well.

http://www.amazon.com/1260lm-Cree-S...414331011&sr=8-4&keywords=led+off+road+lights

I'm glad to hear they work good for you. I just bought one to replace the headlight on my four wheeler. I'm anxious to get it mounted and try it out. I already have two 1,100 lumen flood LED's under the front rack and they are super for lighting up the area around the front. I hope this new spot LED will do as well as the floods.
With the light you see from yours do you think one would replace a headlight well?

t33jetman

Equipment
BX25D, TLB, 1860 bal. bucket, Curtis Hard Cab
Aug 31, 2013
Wooster, Ohio
Skeets,

Cree, Leds are the best , but I did not find this out when I purchased my tractor.

I use a 20 LED, 4000 LUM light bar for my front and small 4x4, 8 LED 1450 LUM for my sides and back lights.

I just went with "TUFF" leds , off of Ebay, with no problems after one year of use.

Attachments