Wear plate on drawbar - do you use them?

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
When I was growing up, most people in my area had a quarter inch thick wear plate on their drawbar. There were two manufacturer drilled holes in the draw bar, about a foot back from the hitch pin hole, where this plate was bolted. I don't see this anymore but the holes appear to be there. Maybe this was just a John Deere thing when equipment was build to last. Do you use one?

Found an example, its "A" on the diagram...

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not much modern equipment uses a draw bar anymore, that's why there is no wear plates on newer models. ;)

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
He said most equipment doesn't "use" a drawbar anymore, I took this to mean that most implements used by the average guy doesn't hook to the drawbar but rather the 3PH, and that the occasional towing a trailer or wagon will not wear out the drawbar that most machines have.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess it depends on who you ask about using the draw bar. 6 of my implements I use on a regular basis are draw bar pulled and the rest are 3pt.

I don't use a wear plate but most of my stuff either doesn't have a lot of tongue weight in the carry position or the hitch is fixed level.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Not much modern equipment uses a draw bar anymore, that's why there is no wear plates on newer models. ;)
Not sure what you are talking about Wolfman. If you are talking Homeowner then yes most equipment geared towards them is 3 point hitch. If you are talking actual farming with tractors, more equipment is pulled with the drawbar than the 3 point hitch.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The original poster's question was, "Do you use one?"

He shows a picture of a larger tractor then 98% of the users of this forum own, but he doesn't list his tractor model.

It was listed under Service, Repair & Maintenance, not Off Topic. So that would indicate the question is about Kubota tractors.

So the comment by North Idaho Wolfman seems reasonable, "Not much modern equipment uses a draw bar anymore, that's why there is no wear plates on newer models."

Seems to me, if someone has a question about a "farming tractor" as a question specific to that tractor. "My M9540 doesn't have a wear plate, so will my draw bar wear quicker?

Remember: The quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer!

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I've never seen one used. One of my summer jobs in college was at a hog farm where we ran 3350 gallon liquid manure tanks (honey wagons) that had a lot of weight on the drawbar when they were full. They had thousands of hours on them pulling those tanks and I don't recall ever wearing out a drawbar or seeing much wear on one. We had mostly IH 3588's with a 3788 and a 1066.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've been away from larger farm tractors for many years. Never had a wear plate on one of ours, or others I operated.

Have seen a lot of stretched draw-pin holes, though! One thing to look at on antique-type tractor. Before 3-point hitches, most stuff was done via the draw bar. Gives you an idea how hard the tractor's life has been.

But that's not the function of the plate, I guess.

As others said, doubt you need one.

Last edited: