TG1860G bogging down.

jay87t

Equipment
B6000
Aug 4, 2013
Niagara Falls
Hey guys, this year I been having a issue with my TG1860G the 18hp kawasaki motor, after a while of cutting the engine seems to bog down like its starving for fuel. I changed the fuel filter with a new one, but I still get the same issue. It bogs down kind of like it wants to stall. If I turn off the PTO and just let it idle it comes back up to full throttle and I can cut once again. I looked at the fuel pump and I see there is the fuel in hose and the fuel out hose. but at the bottom of the pump I see a black rubber hose thats not hooked up to nothing, looks like its broken at the end of the hose. does this go anywhere? any info would be appreciated, or what I should look for next.
Thanks.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Make sure the shutoff valve just about the left rear tire is completely open. If it's open, you probably have a leaf or other obstruction in your fuel tank. It's got an opening big enough to drop a baseball in, and no screen!!

Does the engine go through it symptoms after you've mowed on a slope?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The little black hose is a vent. The pump diaphragm needs to be vented to the atmosphere for the pump to work properly. Used to, before EFI was popular, I was playing with turbocharging a Ford engine that had a carburetor and a mechanical pump, which is the same basic principle as the Kawasaki pump. The biggest problem was fuel pressure and volume. Volume was solved by using a bigger pump. Pressure was still an issue. So I devised a solution. The pump had a vent hole on the body, so I drilled the hole and tapped it with a 1/8" NPT thread, put a 1/8 NPT-1/8 barb fitting in it and ran the barb fitting to the turbo's discharge side, but before the throttle body. Worked marvelously, WAY better (and more reliable) then a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and electric pump.

Anyway, your Kawi's vent line should not have any fuel in it. If it does, the diaphragm is ruptured. Also, make SURE that the vent hose is routed away from the muffler. It doesn't go to anything, just the atmosphere. In factory configuration it was dumped right on top of the muffler area; and if (when) the pump diaphragm ruptured, gasoline would be pumped directly onto the top of the hot muffler causing a fire. All you do it route it down the side of the frame somewhere and let the end of it dangle in the wind somewhere away from the muffler.

A couple thoughts on the bogging issue under load. One, I'd suggest replacing the factory fuel lines. The come apart internally and block everything. It's easy, pull the tank and replace the lines. While the tank is out, pull the pickup tube out and blow it out. If anything comes out of the tube, you'll want to look into what's in the tank to plug the tube, and possibly clean the tank out. They were pretty commonly plugged at the elbow where the pickup tube meets the fuel line. While you have the tube out, cut a vee notch into the very tip of it. That or cut the end of it at an angle. This helps keep from plugging the tip of the tube if anything gets into the tank. And thirdly, I have run into a few 1860's and 1760's that would acually boil fuel inside the fuel line. The lines were routed too closely to the engine and muffler causing fuel to boil after running a while. Just re-route the lines a little further from the heat and it will be fine. This is more pronounced in the late spring/early summer as the change from winter blend gas to summer blend gas is taking place. Many folks will go out & buy 5-10 gallons of gas and it'll sit in a can for a while until it's time to re-fill the mower(s). If it's winter blended fuel, it can boil at as low as 80°F.

Last edited:

jay87t

Equipment
B6000
Aug 4, 2013
Niagara Falls
Thanks for the replies, D2Cat, yes when I start mowing my septic hill, It starts happening. I get problems from then on. I look at the inline fuel filter, its white I can see the fuel, should It be constantly full? cause I see it at times 1/2 full while running.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There is another fuel filter up front, left side by carb. I take the clamp loose off the rear side of the filter and simply blow into the line (with the fuel cap off).

When I blew into the line it literally was plugged. Then it cleared and the fuel tank sounded like a percolator brewing coffee when I blew on into it. Would run fine for a long time, but I did notice it was usually after mowing on a slope.

Need to take the tank off and clean it using the ideas Lugbolt suggested, but I waiting until the fuel level is WAY low!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Jay - I definitely think lugbolt and D2Cat are on to something, specific to your machine.

Do you use enthanol-free gas, or if not, do you treat your ethanol gas with an additive designed for ethanol gas?

Ethanol gas has caused me a couple issues over the years.....Your symptoms don't make me suspect ethanol issues right off.

If it were E-gas gummed-up, I would think it would always run rough/bog down.

If you don't treat E-gas, you should, and not keep it long. If E-free is available, get it.

Just for what it's worth.

Wish you luck finding a quick resolution!

Last edited: