BX25D rim failure

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I'm with NIW. This is NOT from one incident. You have old cracks with corrosion that had partially compromised the rim. The neighbor may or may not have been abusing the rim when it completely failed. Also, there is no sign of the lug bolts being loose in the pictures. I sure would take a close look at the other front rim. Nice to hear the neighbor took care of it afterwards.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Also, there is no sign of the lug bolts being loose in the pictures. I sure would take a close look at the other front rim. .
What is your definition of loose? Backed out 1/8", 5 ft-lbs torque, 50 ft-lbs torque... The torque specification for these wheels is 110 ft-lbs to 132 ft-lbs. I can't tell the difference between 5 ft-lbs and 132 ft lbs by looking at a picture.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
What is your definition of loose? Backed out 1/8", 5 ft-lbs torque, 50 ft-lbs torque... The torque specification for these wheels is 110 ft-lbs to 132 ft-lbs. I can't tell the difference between 5 ft-lbs and 132 ft lbs by looking at a picture.

Nice. I will admit that torque can't be eyeballed in a picture. However, with pictures as good as these, any movement of the rim between the lug bolt heads and the hub would leave very obvious clues. Look at the picture showing the bits of rim still held in place by the lug bolts. Nice, clear picture showing zero disturbance of paint, dust or rust.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Most likely the welds holding the rim together had stress cracks and moisture got inside of them. I had the same problem on the 2910 but it was actually on the hub itself, it snapped right off. It seems kubota has an issue with their welders.

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
Not 100 percent sure of the circumstances... neighbor was borrowing the tractor and was grappling brush piles. He drove into town and bought a new rim and tire.
Well, sounds like you have a good neighbor. He went right into town, bought a new tire and rim, most people would of just said "hey, when you get a chance, come and get your tractor, the wheel just fell off for no reason and when you get it fixed, let me know, I would like to abuse, er, I mean borrow it again"

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Did you happen to notice that the wheel disk center was made of 2 layers and
very rusty between them? Usually when wheel centers break around the lug bolts it's because the wheel was loose or not properly torqued all the way
equally and the "flexing" that that condition allows cause stress cracks leading
up to what your picture shows. That rim center is separated so I wouldn't necessarily say your neighbor was abusing the tractor but just happened to be the one using it when it finally failed.

One thing to note however, if he immediately went to town and bought a new tire and wheel or whatever was needed to fix it you must have known he was
a very good person to do the right thing. I never borrow anything I can't afford to replace and if something happens I immediately remedy the problem no matter what the cost is. So my rule of thumb is always: IF the person you loan it to has the smarts to use it in a proper manner respectfully and will do as what happened here going to buy a new wheel AND loans you tools/equipment back it's a good thing as otherwise it most definitely not.

There are people that are to dangerous to be allowed to use a wheelbarrow!
LOL!
Al