New Member considering purchasing an L2501

Mike in Pa

May 23, 2017
Allentown, PA
Hello,

A few years ago I purchase some property (5+ acres). I recently decided I now need a tractor to get some things done. It will be my first. Some planned uses for it: stump removal, grading some areas to make mowing easier, digging foundation for a garage and house addition, trenching electric water to garage etc.

I have barrowed my friends BX with loader and backhoe a few times and was impressed with the quality of the Kubota. He took a look at my planned projects and suggest I look at a bigger machine. I've looked at many used tractors but in this area they all seem to be high priced or have been worked hard. Not being familiar with tractors I've think I've convinced myself to go new and not buy someone else's problems. The current financing options available are nice as well.

I started out at a local dealer and said I want something bigger then a BX and he pointed me to a B2601. I came home and after doing some research on this site I found out that an L2501 is a lot more tractor for a modest price increase so back to the dealer I went. He has a new '15 model sitting beside a B2650 and the difference in size is quite substantial. The dealer said he couldn't sell L2501 in this location as it closer to city and residential developments and everyone wants smaller B series tractors. For comparisons I got a quote from the Delaware dealer (no sales tax state) which wasn't competitive even considering the saving of sales tax to my local dealer. Then I called Barlow and their price is quite competitive.

I'm looking at L2501 HST R4 tires, w/ SSQA loader, backhoe 16" bucket, thumb, tooth bar and pallet forks.

I have a few questions that I haven't been able to answer doing research online.

1. If I want to run the tractor without backhoe and use the loader how much weight do I need to add in a weight box? I know I can get the rear tires filled but I thought that when the backhoe was on this would be to much weight for the lawn?

2. If one wants to tow a utility trailer with the tractor what's the best way to attach a ball? Does Kubota offer a plate to mount on the rear etc? I've seen people mount balls onto the 3 point hitch but understand that this could cause problems if the trailer load takes the weight off the tongue?

3. Is there anything else I should look at getting dealer installed?

Thanks,
Mike

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Well Mike. I purchased a new 2501 HST in early March. I am so far very pleased with the tractor. I can't help you on the trailer towing aspect, because it's just something I don't do. I do know they have attachments for receiver hitches that bolt right to the drawbar of the tractor and that may be something you would want to explore. As far as weight on the back without the backhoe, a nice heavy duty box scraper (which I know would come in handy for you) would probably be enough weight on the back for loader work. Thats what I use and have encountered no problems as of yet. I will use the BLMX 3164 Snowblower if ever I run in to weight problems out back while using the loader, so I'm not stuck having to to fill tires. You may want to consider additional lighting as well. LED light bars are fairly inexpensive now a days, and I would recommend getting a few.

I had spent some time in your area (Ft. Indiantown Gap) back in the late 80's while in the Military. Allentown and surroundings are a nice area.

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
Have had mine 2 months, LOVE it.

I made a set of forks for the front loader and experienced the need for weight on the back of the tractor when unloading bags of cement......would have been no issue if my Backhoe had been attached.

I'm so glad I went from the B to the L2501, get the thumb for the back hoe....it's awesome!

Attachments

tlefire

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100, L2350, L2501
May 18, 2017
talladega alabama
Use enought weight to keep the tractor stable for what you are doing. That could be anywhere from 400 to 600 pounds. Me, I leave my tiller on at about 450 pounds. Some use a box blade. Use something, because the tractor can get tippy in a hurry.

As far as pulling a trailer, use a 3 pt hitch.

I'd get the dealer to throw on a quick hitch.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
You can, and should use the drawbar for trailering. The 3 point can lift up if the trailer gets weighted in the rear. A 1" threaded ball fits the hole of the drawbar. If you are confident you will always have lots of tongue weight, the 3 point would probably be fine tho. I have had mine for about 6 months now, and it is a dream to own. Pretty much care free to maintain and own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike in Pa

May 23, 2017
Allentown, PA
Thanks for the replies.

BeaterBoss, Are you talking about dealer installed lights or installing aftermarket lights once I get the tractor? I already plan on adding the bolt on hooks and reversible cutting blade myself to the bucket. I prefer more rural central PA myself. Here in the Lehigh Valley it has rushed city feel to it. Nice thing is that 10 miles north or south and your back in the PA country side.

Repair, yes I've seen the benefits of the thumb. I'm also planning to do the DIY hydraulics conversion that I've seen online as well. Looks to make it even more handy.

Tunaslayer, My concern with using the 3 pt hitch is just that loosing the tongue weight when I go over a rise, etc. There has to be a safe setup that one does not need to take that chance?

tlefire

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100, L2350, L2501
May 18, 2017
talladega alabama
Hey Mike, what you planning on putting in the trailer?

Just about all I haul in mine is limbs and brush. Just load the heavy stuff up front. I've got a 12 foot duel axel trailer that I haul a 300 gallon water tank to water my fruit trees when nature doesn't. I load it middle of the front axel and never had a problem.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Thanks for the replies.

BeaterBoss, Are you talking about dealer installed lights or installing aftermarket lights once I get the tractor? I already plan on adding the bolt on hooks and reversible cutting blade myself to the bucket. I prefer more rural central PA myself. Here in the Lehigh Valley it has rushed city feel to it. Nice thing is that 10 miles north or south and your back in the PA country side.

Repair, yes I've seen the benefits of the thumb. I'm also planning to do the DIY hydraulics conversion that I've seen online as well. Looks to make it even more handy.

Tunaslayer, My concern with using the 3 pt hitch is just that loosing the tongue weight when I go over a rise, etc. There has to be a safe setup that one does not need to take that chance?
Well if you are handy with electrical systems, you can do your lights yourself. I did mine myself as I am comfortable with wiring up 12v stuff. You may need to get creative with mounting and switch locations, especially if you don't want to drill into the ROPS or cut holes in the dash panel. The low power draw of LED bars are certainly a plus, but don't pay too much for them. I bought a pair of 12" LED bars off of Amazon for $29. I don't believe in paying a lot for these bars, as they are all fairly good quality stuff. Plus if you smash one, or tear one off....It won't hurt the wallet as much.

Mike in Pa

May 23, 2017
Allentown, PA
Tunaslayer, This is exactly what I've been trying to find. Is this a Kubota part or aftermarket? Do you have a part number I can look up? I wonder what load its rated for?

I spoke to a long time farmer this weekend and he's always used a fixed drawbar on the lower links of the 3 pt. hitch to mount the ball and tow trailers. He understood my concerns but said he's never had a problem. He talked about going slow and knowing how to drive a tractor on hills and uneven land.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Your tractor will come with the drawbar (Swinging). you will need to add the trailer ball. The one that connects to the 3 point is option you have to order or get one second hand or another place that deals with 3 point equipment, like Tractor Supply.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
Don't know about load rating, but the bar weighs about 30lbs. Super heavy duty. Mine came with the tractor, and mine came with the clevis because I did not know what I was doing when I was ordering my tractor. It worked out well tho if you need to run 2 ball sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk