Re-power a Bobcat 825 skid steer...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not much visible progress, but I got the rear of the engine mounted with the front needing attention now.

I removed the mounting plate from the Perkins engine and began modifying it step by step to get to where it is.

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I dunno Len... that uneven paint job on the crank output may lead to vibrations under power...

:)

(Is Len "project oriented" or what???)

frdf250

Dec 25, 2016
Fleetwood
I have a Perkins motor coming in from England stuck in EPA customs right now. I really would love to see pictures of the throttle linkage and mounts. I would do this in a heart beat. Any other pictures to post up? Thanks for making this a thread!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
What size is the Perkins you're waiting on? What is the application?

The one in the bobcat was a 4.108. That indicates a 4 cyl. 108 CI.

I just listed that engine on Craig's List today. The head is a boat anchor, warped .008 and had 3 cracks in it. Block is good, needs at least one sleeve liner. Crankshaft, injection pump, starter, bellhousing, intake, exhaust manifolds...all there and very usable.

It had an extreme amount of oil and dirt between the radiator and hyd. cooler. I'm pretty sure that is what caused the overheat and head damage.

What pictures (of throttle linkage and mounts) are you wanting to see, the Perkins before removal or the V2203?

frdf250

Dec 25, 2016
Fleetwood
What size is the Perkins you're waiting on? What is the application?

The one in the bobcat was a 4.108. That indicates a 4 cyl. 108 CI.

I just listed that engine on Craig's List today. The head is a boat anchor, warped .008 and had 3 cracks in it. Block is good, needs at least one sleeve liner. Crankshaft, injection pump, starter, bellhousing, intake, exhaust manifolds...all there and very usable.

It had an extreme amount of oil and dirt between the radiator and hyd. cooler. I'm pretty sure that is what caused the overheat and head damage.

What pictures (of throttle linkage and mounts) are you wanting to see, the Perkins before removal or the V2203?

Mine was the same way. Its in a Bobcat 825 and its a Perkins 4.108. Looks like identical setup. I sold mine on ebay a few days ago but I had all of the machining done, new liners, and polished crank. When I went to send the head in for valves and guides they told me it was cracked. I had over 1500 in it at that point!

I was hoping to get a few pictures or theories on how you would hook up the throttle on the new V2203. The perkins had the injection pump on the right side facing the FEL part of the bobcat, i think the V2203 has it on the right ?Any issues with height or depth. In the one picture is that a 1x3 keeping it up off the gas tank so it mounts nice? Attached two pictures of my project.

Great thread!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
frdf250,

Wow! Great job on the paint! Did you have it sand blasted or was that all removed by hand with a wire wheel or flap? Great result!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've got one on my Dodge truck and it's been there for a while. Never any trouble and it's real handy for getting a sample to have sent in for testing. And changing oil is a no-mess deal.

The truck has this brand, but they didn't have one with a 90 deg. bend.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/?gclid=CM7rueXfldQCFUW5wAodkEECyg
I just bought two of these from amazon (after checking with fumoto's site), one for my car and one for my truck....but allow a tube to be hooked to them - flip of the finger and oil goes WHERE you want it to go! Flip it shut.....easy as pie!:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
85Hokie, they sure make changing oil simple. Drain the old oil directly into a container and take it to the recycle place, and not a drop of oil on you!

There are similar valves made cheaper for mowers, etc.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
frdf250, are you saying you sold the Bobcat on ebay or sold the engine you removed? Are you getting the Perkins from England to replace the original engine?

You've spent a lot of time cleaning and prepping that machine!

I'll post a few pictures. In one picture you'll see a cat food bag. That is filled with grease soaked dirt. I removed with a putty knife, two other smaller bags of the same material. I then power washed the thing three different times after soaking with Purple power, diesel and anything else I had around!!

You can see, by the pictures, it was pretty dirty.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Had one of those cheap plastic ones that came on my cub cadet mower. First time I changed the oil, it started weeping and wouldn't seal completely. Also didn't stick out far enough to clear the frame. So it made changing the oil a real mess.

Ran up to the local mom and pop hardware store a couple miles from home. Picked up a 3/8x4" steel nipple and cap for under $3. Replaced the plastic quick dump with it. Cleared the frame, and could slide a shallow pan under it to collect the quart or so of oil :D

Neighbor did the same on his cub cadet as well. His started weeping and the dealer wanted $25 for the plastic quick dump valve :eek: Showed him what I did, and he copied it.

frdf250

Dec 25, 2016
Fleetwood
A few more... I had the flywheel from the Kubota machined to accept the flange for the U-joints going to the hyd. pump.
I was hoping to see a picture of the new Kubota motor mocked up in the 825. I didnt know how you planned to hook up the throttle. Its exciting to see someone else working on their 825 its pretty rare im finding.

Do you have any cracks in the frame? I have 2 right near the motor mounts that are near the pump. I need to weld them. Ill try and find a few more pictures of the restoration. let me know if you find any of the throttle on the kubota and what it looks like in the bobcat

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
What engine are you installing? Did you start rebuilding the Perkins, then give up and sell it?

No structural problem that I'm aware of. I don't have the V2203 completely mounted yet. Then I have to install the alternator and a new fan blade, then oil filter and hyd cooler with radiator, THEN comes the linkage hookups.

frdf250

Dec 25, 2016
Fleetwood
What engine are you installing? Did you start rebuilding the Perkins, then give up and sell it?

No structural problem that I'm aware of. I don't have the V2203 completely mounted yet. Then I have to install the alternator and a new fan blade, then oil filter and hyd cooler with radiator, THEN comes the linkage hookups.

I had the thing done, basically just needed to install the head and i was done. I took it to the machine shop and they said it was cracked. Stopped right away and sold it to try and recoup cash. I ordered another perkins from England for way to much (3k) and now its stuck in EPA customs !! ha jeez.

Here are a few pictures of the current and original state. paint is a little messed up in the back because i need to replace the rear seal on the pump and had to cut it off since it is a tapered shaft and i couldn't get a puller to yank it for the life of me.

Believe it or not i was able to get all the grease off with a few applications of oven cleaner. I mean this stuff was thick enough that i could grab fist fulls of grease/pine needles.

And to think i had a beautiful running B8200!!!!!

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I also have an 825, with a good engine. This machine has three hydraulic filters, one of which is hidden under the pedals up front. Also, they are known for breaking the plastic pickup tube in the fuel tank, so please check this while your engines are out. They hold 27 gallons of thirty weight oil for hydraulic fluid. The top of the oil tank is under the seat. These were changed from metal to fiberglass at some point. The fiberglass ones are prone to crack, letting water into the hydraulic oil. I like it due to the fact that there are no electronics, and it's fairly easy to work on. So far Bobcat has been able to get every part that I have needed.

Jerry

frdf250

Dec 25, 2016
Fleetwood
I looked up the specs on the V2203, is 39HP right? Are you worried that it wont have enough compared to the perkins with 55HP

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I looked up the specs on the V2203, is 39HP right? Are you worried that it wont have enough compared to the perkins with 55HP
Perkins 4108, motor that was used in the 825 is only 38HP to 42 HP depending on the source and testing method.

A Kubota V2203 is in the range of 39.9 to 51 HP NON turbo and up to 65HP with turbo, there is a lot of different models of that engine build.

If I remember correctly the engine model that D2Cat is using is in the range of 49HP.

I swapped out a V1702 IDI (36HP) for a V2203 DI in my 743 Bobcat and that machine is awesome!
I've never been able to kill the engine even in the harshest of working situations!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
The 825 Loader Service Manual list the Perkins 4.108 at 38 HP, max governed RPM 2500.

The Kubota V2203 should have no trouble matching that output!! And as a plus, it's direct injected.