L35 transmission issue

Sprayerman

Equipment
L35 TLB AE1100 generator
May 4, 2017
Ontario
Having a problem with my new to me L35. If I shut the machine off the transmission doesn't want to go into forward or reverse after restarting. If I shift it from fwd to N to rev a few times it will finally catch and go. No bad noises although I can hear a slight hydraulic oil noise in the machine when it catches. Once the machine has "caught" once it will shift 100's of times without issue. The second I shut the machine down the problem comes back again, how ever same thing. Once it catches once it's good until the machine is shut off again. The machine is a 2002 L35 with 900hrs.

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It sounds like it's losing prime on the hydraulic pump.
Could have a suction side leak.
Also could have a pump that is going out.
other option would be that it's got a clutch seal that is gone/going out.

Could it be low on Hydraulic fluid?
When was it's last time it had a filter and fluid change?
How is the power steering when this happens?

Sprayerman

Equipment
L35 TLB AE1100 generator
May 4, 2017
Ontario
I think you may be on to something. I arrived home last night. I will check today. The machine is currently down at the river. I blew a hydraulic line (main boom line inside the boom). I had to leave for work for a few days and left it there while the shop made the hose. I did notice in my shop a decent size oil spot back at where the boom sits. Hose must have been leaking before it let go. otherwise filters were 47hrs ago. I had checked the oil a week ago and it was fine but I put 12 hours on it over the weekend.

Sprayerman

Equipment
L35 TLB AE1100 generator
May 4, 2017
Ontario
Seems it must have been low on oil. Replaced the hydraulic hose today and topped everything back up. Can't re create the problem now. Whoops***9786;***65039;

Thank, this is an excellent forum. Great support.

Sprayerman

Equipment
L35 TLB AE1100 generator
May 4, 2017
Ontario
Problem came back this weekend. Oil is full. I did notice power steering was tough to turn but I also had low revs and wasn't moving.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Still going with suction side leak, look for wet spots around suction line and filters.

Last edited:

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Still going with suction side leak, look for wet spots around suction line and filters.
Not to hijack, but I notice the soft 3" or so rubber hoses on what I believe is a suction line on mine are starting to weep. There are 2 or 3 maybe look at those see if they are weeping when sitting and sucking air when running. This pipe is on the passenger side and runs from the filter up to the front. Grey in color. Reminds me I gotta order them parts. :)