antifreeze

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I recently got a 1985 l355ss diesel . Can I use "DEX" antifreeze in it or use the regular green type?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Do not mix dexcool with anything other than dexcool. Even flushing a system and filling woth dexcool will react with any remnants.

Use a heavy duty universal long life and all will be good.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
Thanks I am aware of that. I was told a while back that if the 2 are mixed somehow, it will gel up and do a job on the cooling system.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have had 2 very bad experiences with Dexcool, and would not consider using it in an application not specifically designed for it. Cooling systems have changed to accommodate the use use of dexcool over time, but dexcool has not changed to my knowledge.

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
Cummins has a (OAT) Lifetime coolant that is designed for Diesel engines, you put it in and never need to change it again.

I talked with our filtration/coolant group and this will work great in our Kubota tractors and it never needs to be replaced and you can replace the Dexcool coolant in your GM trucks with it.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/organicacidtechnology

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I despise Dexcool so much that I refuse to even use it in vehicles designed for it. I am a big fan of Zerex's Asian Formula.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Well if everyone is speaking brands, i use Celcius. Canadian product im guessing. Its all i use.

Dexcool breaks plastic components down causing gasket failures. How they got away without recalls is beyond me.
In 86 or somewhere thereabouts GM switched to dexcool,draining green stuff out and refilling with dex. In about 4 years it turned to brown pudding that polluted cooling systems. It was horrible to deal with. So big fan of dexcool? No,not really....

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Cummins has a (OAT) Lifetime coolant that is designed for Diesel engines, you put it in and never need to change it again.

I talked with our filtration/coolant group and this will work great in our Kubota tractors and it never needs to be replaced and you can replace the Dexcool coolant in your GM trucks with it.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/organicacidtechnology
Why does Ford require testing for their OAT about every 14K?