Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 02-06-2011   #1
jd3l88

Equipment: L245DT with series 1200 loader
Default Re-assembling Hydro Cylinder

Hey everyone,
I'm reassembling the lift cylinder on a model 1200 FEL. I stripped and repainted everything and got rebuild kits because all four cylinders were leaking. So far I did one of the bucket cylinders with no problem, but the lift cylinder is giving me trouble. The repair manual says to install the new V packing into the cylinder head with the lips facing in and then place the washer on top and secure the whole thing with a snap ring. I did all of that, and after I compress the V packing down enough to get the snap ring in the groove it makes it impossible to slide the piston rod into it. I soaked it in hydro fluid too. Anyone have any tricks to get the cylinder head over the piston rod? I already ruined my new paint job and probably a v packing trying to force it, and am going to have to repaint it.
jd3l88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2011   #2
LRP
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Default Re: Re-assembling Hydro Cylinder

take the packing out , reassemble with the piston rod in place and use oil
when assembleing.
Louis
LRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #3
jd3l88

Ok, Took the packing out and slid everything over the piston rod in order. Then put the rod into the cylinder head. I still can't get the snap ring down into the groove. It's real close. I'm using a punch to knock it down into the groove but when I hit one side the other side 180 degrees around the ring starts to raise up. Maybe make a collar out of a piece of pipe to fit the snap ring and use a press? This cylinder is really killing me. Never had one give me trouble like this
Old 02-06-2011   #4
LRP
2nd Yr. Apprentice

your on the right track, u know the old saying,
u can,t have all male pups!!!
Louis
LRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #5
jd3l88

Well I fought with it long enough and finally found the answer. The v packings I got from kubota won't fit on that cylinder, they are a fraction of an inch off. A hydraulic repair company we deal with at work came and took a look at it for me and made me a new top bushing for the vee pack a few thousandths shorter. I put it all back together and it fit perfectly. He said it never would have went back together no matter how hard I tried.

Tags
hydraulic cylinders