L245LT clutch follow up, more....

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Folks -

Thanks to all for your advice on replacing the clutch. Using a torch to cut off the main shaft of the transmission worked wonders! It bolted right up after that! The clutch pedal feels odd, but I think it'll run-in after I get her started.

Seriously, pulled the trans half back out, checked everything, and this time it went together just fine. I screwed up my back, however, so I'm cane'd and hobbled for a few days, but the heavy work is done.

Next question - I am replacing all of the fluids, and am getting conflicting answers as to what lubricant I should use in the transmission/axle assembly. Some say 80 wt gear oil, other say UDT of different weights, so I am not sure. Also, it says the transmission assembly takes something like 34 quarts. It that really so?

If any of you could confirm the type, weight and quantity of transmission lubricant, I'd sure appreciate it.

Again, thanks to all for your advice on getting the clutch issue resolved.

John

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

Transmission holds 23 liters.

Others may tell you the more modern lubricants are better than what was available when the tractor was manufactured.

Certainly very cold weather operation should be considered in your decision.

Dave

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I use universal tractor fluid in my L185.

I did run UDT at first due to dealer recommendations but don’t see need for paying for it for old tractor that does not have any hydraulics except 3PH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John RHR

Equipment
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
All -

Okay, what came out of the box was not gear oil - it was hydraulic fluid. I see both spec'd, and that OE was gear oil. My feeling is that the two should not be mixed. So if I go with hydraulic, what weight? Can any of you more experience than I offer any specific brands and weights? I am out in the boonies, so will likely be getting the lubricant at wal mart.

All feedback is appreciated, and thanks for your posts so far. Hope to have this running soon!

John

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
The service guy from Kubota told me I could run cheap UDT in my L245DT with no ill effects. Of course they'd prefer if I bought it from them. Some people say the OEM spec oil wasn't suitable for some reason, so Kubota started advising folks to use UDT instead.

John RHR

Equipment
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
All - Okay, UDT Hydraulic oil - but what weight should I use. Temps here range from 25 to 112; most of the use of the tractor would be 40 to 100 degree temps...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
UDT in everything, if your watching costs check out Mystik JT5.
It's an excellent quality fluid at a good price. ;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
To answer your question the UDT is only one viscosity available. UDT is “natural” petroleum product, UDT2 is improved petroleum product and SUDT2 is synthetic.

At Walmart they will NOT have UDT it is a Kubota product and sold through dealers only. You can order it on line.

At Walmart they will sell some type of universal tractor fluid (see Traveler brand at Tractor Supply for example). I believe it will be available in different quality (cost) grades but all the same viscosity grade. (As I understand it anyway)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John RHR

Equipment
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Okay - I understand that they wouldn't sell a kubota branded product, but would what they sell, generally, work? I won't buy the cheapest grade, but may give the middle grade a go - it's about 50 bucks for 5 gallons, vs 35 for the cheap stuff, or about 70 for the top grade. What do you think?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The Mystik JT5 is usually on sale at farm supply stores from time to time. I found it at Orchelins a couple of months ago for about $50 per 5 gallon pail.

I needed 27 GALLONS for my skidsteer, so I was looking for a sale!