Predictions

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Winter seems to be coming early this year. We went from hot and humid right into cold and damp, actually snowing out there this morning. So my prediction is this winter we'll be making up for the winter we didn't have last year but I sure hope I'm wrong.

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
I think you will be right. We have been getting one or two rain storms a week all summer. If this keeps up, with the cold weather here that will be snow every week.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
I know some will want to string me up for saying it, but I hope so!

We haven't had a real winter for about 3-4 years. Not a ton of snow but enough to get in the woods, over the frozen swamps to drag out firewood. And stay frozen so I don't end up to my knees in slush and mud.
Last year I only plowed 3 times. 2 of those was just to get tractor time! Actually I spent more time leveling the mud in the driveway before a freeze up than I did plowing. I don't like cold rain and mud in the winter! I'd rather a foot of snow instead. This is Canada after all. :D:D:D

Alright, let me have it!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I know some will want to string me up for saying it, but I hope so!

We haven't had a real winter for about 3-4 years. Not a ton of snow but enough to get in the woods, over the frozen swamps to drag out firewood. And stay frozen so I don't end up to my knees in slush and mud.
Last year I only plowed 3 times. 2 of those was just to get tractor time! Actually I spent more time leveling the mud in the driveway before a freeze up than I did plowing. I don't like cold rain and mud in the winter! I'd rather a foot of snow instead. This is Canada after all. :D:D:D

Alright, let me have it!
I have to agree with you about the mud and slush, just plain sucks. The first winter we retired here in the first week of November we had 50cm's or almost 20 inches of snow, we were not prepared. All I had was a cheap Walmart plow which I bent the first night, that was 8 winters ago which is when I bought my first Kubota with snowblower. After that the winters just keep getting easier however I have a feeling this winter will be tough...sure hope I'm wrong. Mpham it's been the same here, no rain all summer but the last 2 to 3 weeks it sure made up for it. Their calling for 50 to 100mm's of rain this weekend. :eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would really like to see it get cold and stay cold for at least several weeks,, maybe that might kill the ticks and stink bugs off

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I would really like to see it get cold and stay cold for at least several weeks,, maybe that might kill the ticks and stink bugs off
The bad news is cold weather doesn't kill off ticks, they just go dormant which would be great because I'll be going on a deer hunt in a couple weeks. Last year the ticks were plentiful and we all had ticks on us but it was much warmer. So I guess there is always a bright side. Here's my yard this morning, kind of depressing.:eek:

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks to Global Warming, out here in AZ, we have been 20 degrees under our average temps for about ten days. Our weather moves east. Plan accordingly.
:D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Depressing yeah but at least you aint shoveling it :D and as far as the ticks go I would like to get a few guinea fowl , but they for the most part are dumber than a box of rocks. They seem to be fascinated by cars and trucks and thus dont last long

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would like to get a few guinea fowl , but they for the most part are dumber than a box of rocks.
Neighbors had them.

Noisy and often in the road, but I guess they are great at pickin' bugs!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Warmer temps here usually means more wet snow and harder on the machinery and more costly on fuel. I remember as a kid growing up and if we had a real good summer where warm rains were welcomed our winters were tough. I remember my parents and my friends parents telling us not to go near the power lines where the snowplows piled up the snow so high at the sides of the road we could walk over them, haven't seen that in many years thank goodness. This year the winter season seems to be coming on early, actually my wife and I put away all the implements today and put the blower on the front of the tractor a lot of that having to do with leaving home and heading to a friends camp for hunting season and just not sure when we'll be back. Last couple years we really didn't worry about that but this year seems different, it's getting cold earlier, little to no precip for the last 3 months but way more than we are used to the last 3, 4 weeks. The biggest thing that concerns me is I've been feeding the critters that come into the upper field for the last 8 years and their feeding routine has been pretty much the same since we've been here. This year, pretty much the same amount of critters ( I have a trail camera out ) but they are cleaning up everything I'm putting out which is more than the previous years. Maybe I'm getting a little paranoid in my old age but I'd rather be prepared then have to worry about it. We're only 1 mile in off the main road but it can seem a lot longer at times.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm not even gonna try to predict :rolleyes: Every time I do, I'm wrong :D We had wetter then normal July, wetter and cooler then normal August. Got August weather in September, now it's cooler then normal and we are starting to feel like drowned rats.

Today was the first decent day on a weekend in 3 weeks. Yard was to the point it needed to be bailed. Mowed it this afternoon, in some places I was mowing grass and slapping water with the blades. Nothing but a soggy mess out there right now :rolleyes:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Come on , Todd, predict. That way, we'll know to go in the opposite direction. Grand Ma said she couldn't find any wooly worms so she can't predict either.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I predict that the length of daylight each day will progressively get less each day until the shortest day on December 21. Added to that, the temperature each day will get progressively lower overtime. After December 21, the days will slowly begin to increase in daylight length. By the end of May, most all snow in New England will have melted.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Come on , Todd, predict. That way, we'll know to go in the opposite direction. Grand Ma said she couldn't find any wooly worms so she can't predict either.
I've found the wooly worms to be pretty spot on. Haven't seen any this year so far.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now that you mention it I have not seen any either.. interesting

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I've never thought about it until reading this but I haven't noticed any either.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I've been seeing a lot of dark wooly worms around here. But unlike you guys, its been really dry all summer, then it got wet. So I don't know what to expect. I do have a nice blower for white stuff, so it will probably just be cold.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
It was late fall and the Indians on a remote reservation in South Dakota asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.
Since he was a chief in a modern society, he’d never learned the old tribal secrets. He couldn’t look at the sky to predict what the winter was going to be like.

"It's going to be a very cold winter."
So just to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.
But after several days, he had an idea. He went to the reservation’s phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, “Will it be cold this winter?”
“Oh, yes,” the meteorologist at the Weather Service replied, “It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold.”
So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.
A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. “Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?”
“Yes,” the meteorologist again replied, “It’s going to be a very cold.”
The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.
Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again. “Are you sure it’s going to be very cold winter?”
“Absolutely,” the man replied. “It’s looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we’ve ever seen.”
“How can you be so sure?” the chief asked.
“Simple,” the weatherman replied, “The Indians are collecting a crapload of firewood.”
Oh, sure, you laugh. But it’s as accurate as any prediction Al Gore ever made.