Clutch disc L245DT?

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Folks -

Okay, some additional jiggling and the front driveshaft popped in.... but, still unable to get the transmission and engine to draw together - had some longer bolts to help draw, everything was square and aligned.... no go. So, sometimes the long way around is the shortest - rolled the back half of the tractor back to see what was going on.

Nothing was found amiss - removed the pressure plate and disc, disc fits easily on the splines, pilot bearing in good shape. The clutch disc has a tall and short side of the spline hub, and on install, we installed it so the tall side of the spline hub faced the transmission - that's how I've done it on everything else. I checked the size and fit of the new pilot bearing on the nose of the main shaft, all good... and it was the same size as the one it replaced. No issue in replacing it - still spins freely.

One question that came to mind - how far should the diaphragm fingers depress when the pressure plate is tightened down? What I see looks excessive, in that it doesn't look like the clutch would release, but I am not sure.

So, can anyone confirm the orientation of the clutch plate? Even if it's reversed, the hub and rivets don't hit the flywheel.

I appreciate any insight you all might have.... Really need to get this back together.....

Thanks,

John

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pictures in these situations help a lot!

Where did you get the clutch disk and pressure plate?

The amount of movement on a new pressure plate disk combo is very little, and the gap that it leaves is very small, hence why they are so easy to lock up when you get water in there and rust up any parts.

And yes the flat side of the clutch disk goes towards the flywheel.

Last edited:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello John
You are correct. The hub goes to the transmission side. Do you have the clutch linkage lose so the release bearing is not touching the pressure plate ? What are you using as a pilot tool ? I use two long metric bolts with the heads cut off as guides. I put the transmission in neutral , and put the PTO in gear. Then you can turn the PTO shaft at the rear of the Tractor to get the Splines lined up. I would not use the bolts to pull it together at all. If everything is good it should go all the way together just pushing.
Good Luck Lance

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello John
You are correct. The hub goes to the transmission side. Do you have the clutch linkage lose so the release bearing is not touching the pressure plate ? What are you using as a pilot tool ? I use two long metric bolts with the heads cut off as guides. I put the transmission in neutral , and put the PTO in gear. Then you can turn the PTO shaft at the rear of the Tractor to get the Splines lined up. I would not use the bolts to pull it together at all. If everything is good it should go all the way together just pushing.
Good Luck Lance
Good Idea on using the PTO! ;)

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
All -

Thank you for your remarks. I did have the disc installed properly - "long" side toward the transmission, although it appears as if it would work either way and not hit the flywheel. There is clearance between the throw out bearing and the fingers of the disc, and plenty of free pedal on the clutch for now.

All of this just makes it more perplexing. Why trouble for the last ~3/4"? The clutch plate is on the mainshaft splines, the drive shaft for the front axle popped into place, everything was aligned and even - engine to trans, top, bottom and side to side.... I aligned the clutch by turning down a length of steel rod on the lathe to fit the pilot bearing and ID of the clutch disc spline bore. All this and no go...... I'll rejoin the battle in the morning, but am feeling kind of spooked.

Again, thank you for your observations, and additional remarks on all of this.

John

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
John
I always remove the drive shaft. Just remove the snap rings and slide the front and rear splined coupler onto the shaft. Then you know it’s not giving you problems.
Lance