Mods to Land Pride FSP500 - for sanding

Semma

Equipment
bx2670, FEL, bx5455hd snowblower, 60 inch mower, soft cab, landpride fsp500
Jan 3, 2015
Shirley, MA, US
Hello all, thank you for your help and guidance. I am appealing to the orange tractor gurus for advice. I just moved into a house that has a 1400 foot asphalt driveway which I plan on snowblowing with my bx2670 and a bx2755hd snowblower. I upgraded from a bx1870 and I'm happy with the extra hp but have yet to see snow. I plan on salting/sanding the driveway so I picked up a land pride fsp500 slightly used from Craigslist. I tested the mix (6:1) sand/salt and the problem is that the salt/sand mix bridges at the throat and doesn't come out of the shutters onto the spin plate. The salt in the mix sucks moisture out of the air and is always kind of damp, even though I have it under cover. I'm looking to get some innovative ideas about mods to the spreader. I've ordered some additional trap door shutters and slide brackets for the bottom of the spreader along with a vibrator which I think I can mount to the hopper. I expect to get the mods next week. The agitator is spinning although the weight of the wet sand compacts it and it won't flow out. I'm wondering if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree trying to get this to work. I want to avoid a $2000 purchase of a wet sand spreader like a Herd. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I think the vibrator will help a lot. Something like the DC20 or DC50 http://www.vibco.com/docs/catalogs/12-24-volt-dc-vibrators-catalog.pdf

Can you wait until application time before mixing the sand and salt to keep the mixture drier?

I have not had experience in broadcasting sand/salt but I have seen this problem broadcasting fertilizer when the product is damp.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Another option if the vinrator doesn't work would be to not mix the 2 together and run several passes with sand first then the salt. ;)

Semma

Equipment
Jan 3, 2015
Shirley, MA, US
Thanks! My vibrator is on the way. After many interesting googles for vibrators I found an 80lb vibrator kit for a tailgate spreader. Mounting it on the cone hopper close to the bottom 1/3 I think will be the place for it. With a couple of metal plates to sandwich the plastic in between and trying not stress the radius of the plastic will be a bit of a trick. i don't want the vibrator to wear itself through the plastic hopper.
Sal

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
If you don't mind my asking, what did you have to give for the vibrator? I'm brainstorming an application where something like that would be just the ticket.

Semma

Equipment
Jan 3, 2015
Shirley, MA, US
If you don't mind my asking, what did you have to give for the vibrator? I'm brainstorming an application where something like that would be just the ticket.
Hi there. I got the complete kit on eBay from a company called Russo for $135.

Semma

Equipment
Jan 3, 2015
Shirley, MA, US
Being an aggregate ( gravel) guy what was the sand you were mixing with the sand and how dry was it?
I bought the sand salt premixed from a local sand and gravel company here in Massachusetts. It was mixed 6:1 sand salt and it appears to be screened and fine. I don't have a moisture analyzer, but it easily compacts. Not muddy, but it will cake up in your boots. I've been told that the salt sucks the moisture out of the air and holds it in the sand. I have a rhino shelter where I keep it on top of a folded tarp on top of asphalt, so it's not taking moisture off the ground.

I was thinking of experimenting with a bag of fumed silica to mix as an anti-caking agent. We have some at work, but it's a devil to mix because it wants to float all over the place. We use it to mix with day glo marking and pepper powders for "less lethal" ammunition applications.

Semma

Equipment
Jan 3, 2015
Shirley, MA, US
The 80lb vibrator kit from Russo works perfectly! I actually had to shut the flow to half and change the thrower angle. I'm thrilled that this is working.

Inside view... Am working without an agitator.. I installed a hitch pin just to move things around.

And the results. Yes... That's my brand new bx5455hd snow blower. Added an electric actuator from eBay for the deflector.

All in, $250 for the spreader from Craig'slist and $135 for the vibrator kit from Russo. A lot cheaper than a snowex or herd solution which run over $2,000.

*Merged the post and pics into one for you.

Attachments

Last edited: