B5100E Blowby and low oil pressure

Micah1

Equipment
Kubota B5100E
May 22, 2016
Gastonia, NC
I am a new tractor owner and a school bus diesel mechanic. Picked up this B5100E for $900. It run but has a lot of blow by. I installed an oil pressure gauge and has about 20 psi oil pressure at 1/2 throttle and no oil pressure at idle. I have removed the pistons and one of them has a broke ring land and ring. (explains the blow by) I've read on hear about the plug in the rear of the camshaft causing oil pressure issues. I was going to remove the front cover but I don't have a socket for the harmonic balancer. It needs to be a deep well thin wall socket. Does anyone know what size it is so I could pick one up. Its recessed in the balancer so I'm unable to get a measurement on it. The manual shows a special tool #29. I'm not sure if that's 29 mm or not.I don't want to buy one if I don't have to.
Thanks for any help,
Micah

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Micah1, welcome.

I made a socket when I worked on a B6100. I'd have to go look and see if I have it in my "home made tool" drawer.

I measured across the flats to get the size. I went to my old sockets and looked for a sacrificial offering! I cut the end off that socket where the ratchet connects, then welded a piece of another socket on there so the ratchet could again be used. Seems like it was about 1 1/8". I'll look for it and take a picture. Since it a seldom used tool, it doesn't need to be fancy or expensive...just work!

Micah1

Equipment
Kubota B5100E
May 22, 2016
Gastonia, NC
Thanks D2 Cat. I have a drawer full of home made tools also. I was going to add this to it. I'm hoping to only have to use it once. I didn't want to invest in the special tool just for one time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the plug is missing it's the front plug and not the back one, you'll see it as soon as the gear case cover is removed! ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Found that socket. The total length is 4".

Then the dowel is a pilot bearing/bushing remover. Pretty simple. Needs to be just a snug fit to the inside of the bearing. Put some grease in the hole and tap the dowel a couple of times. Repeat as necessary.

That freeze plug shows how much was pushed out of the block on the L2050, causing water to get into the clutch housing.

Attachments

Micah1

Equipment
Kubota B5100E
May 22, 2016
Gastonia, NC
Was the socket you cut an 1 1/8" and did you have to grind the outside to make it fit?

Last edited:

Micah1

Equipment
Kubota B5100E
May 22, 2016
Gastonia, NC
If the plug is missing it's the front plug and not the back one, you'll see it as soon as the gear case cover is removed! ;)
I went to the dealer today to order a piston, bearings, gaskets ect. I ask about the camshaft plugs and he said they were discontinued. I haven't removed the cover yet to see the damage but I was thinking if the hole is big enough or there is enough metal to drill maybe I could tap it out and install an 1/8" NPT Allen head plug.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Here's a link to a youtube vid that shows the missing cam plug on a similar Kubota engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO-jhkjpTpc
I seem to remember someone here turned a steel plug, tapped it in, (light press fit) then spot welded it with a Mig or Tig.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Micah1, I am pretty sure it is an 1 1/8" socket. I don't remember if I did any grinding to make it fit. I don't think so, but that was a few years ago. I'd suggest, if you have a caliper to measure across the nut then confirm an 1 1/8" will fit. Cut off the chosen socket and put that over the nut. Then see how much space you have to deal with.

The 7/8" deep well socket, I think just fit into the bigger socket...that's why I used the 7/8". Then just used a wire welder to glue them together.

If the cam plug has fallen out and you can no longer get one.....I used a taper roller pin (our of a bearing). I tapped it in and welded it there. JUST BE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD GROUND AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE WELD. You don't want your welder to run the ground through the bearings and cause damage.

Micah1

Equipment
Kubota B5100E
May 22, 2016
Gastonia, NC
Micah1, I am pretty sure it is an 1 1/8" socket. I don't remember if I did any grinding to make it fit. I don't think so, but that was a few years ago. I'd suggest, if you have a caliper to measure across the nut then confirm an 1 1/8" will fit. Cut off the chosen socket and put that over the nut. Then see how much space you have to deal with.

The 7/8" deep well socket, I think just fit into the bigger socket...that's why I used the 7/8". Then just used a wire welder to glue them together.

If the cam plug has fallen out and you can no longer get one.....I used a taper roller pin (our of a bearing). I tapped it in and welded it there. JUST BE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD GROUND AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE WELD. You don't want your welder to run the ground through the bearings and cause damage.
Thanks again D2 Cat. I found a 1 1/8" deep well socket I forgot I had and lightly tapped it with a hammer and was able to remove the nut without any issues. I already have the head off so I'm going to remove the camshaft for for repairs.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You shouldn't need to remove the camshaft, unless you're doing a complete engine rebuild.

The plug you asked about will be seen when you remove the front off the block.

Micah1

Equipment
Kubota B5100E
May 22, 2016
Gastonia, NC
I got the front cover removed tonight. The camshaft plug has already been repaired. I removed the camshaft and the rear has been done also. I don't know if the plug was replaced and then welded or just welded. It looks like someone took a mig to it. both ends have a small hole in the weld. I tried to blow compressed air through the small holes. No leaks in the rear however in the front it was hard to get a good seal. I thought about taking to be tig welded. I haven't pulled the main bearings. That would require removing the engine. Trying to get out of that if possible. The rod bearings looks good. However the camshaft feels like it may have some excessive clearance. Does this engine have serviceable cam bearings? I didn't notice any. Also have the oil pumps given any problems?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
With those kind of oil pressures, if the plugs are in there, you probably need to do the entire engine, main and rod bearings are probably way out of tolerance.
No, there is no cam bearings.
How did the pick up screen and o-ring look?
Also yes, change the oil pump when you rebuild it.

Micah1

Equipment
Kubota B5100E
May 22, 2016
Gastonia, NC
The pickup screen and o-ring look good. I already removed the oil pump and started removing the engine. I have a piston, rod and main bearings, rings and all of the gaskets ordered. I just have to add oil pump to the list.
Thanks for your help North Idaho Wolfman.