Cleaning Mower Deck with water while blades spining - good or bad?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I used to wash out the deck nice and clean. Until it rusted through.
Now, if I mow and the grass is wet, I raise the mower up, and use a plastic scraper to get the clumps off and leave the rest to act as a 'barrier'.
Mine doesn't raise high enough to get under it with a scraper (it lifts about 4 inches I believe). I can't even see into/under the deck since I have the "mulching kit" there is no discharge flap to lift up to look in there. I could use my garden hose to spray around - but wouldn't be able to see if I got everything.

So drive up on ramps or remove the deck sounds like my options.

The idea of using undercoating under the deck to extend its life is good.
I went through about 4 decks on my "Craftsman Tractor" over 15 years because of the wet grass. But I think a lot of the rust was also due to the wet grass sitting on top of the deck too. I want to do a better job preserving this Kubota deck.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I clean and paint the underside in the fall grease everything, and dont worry about it till next fall
Similar maintenance to mine. We have very sandy soil so I keep my deck coated with paint on bed liner. Yearly changing of the blades and touch up with liner. Works good for me.

dmbe

Jan 29, 2015
Altoona, pa
Nice fab, but are you just spraying water under the deck with everything stopped, or are you spraying with the blades spinning?

Just spraying water doesn't seem to do much cleaning (unless you have a real strong jet stream) at least in my experience. I think this is why some people say they have the blades spinning - to create that turbulence.

I think I will just remove the deck to clean every two weeks during cutting season.
I turn the water on then get on the tractor and run the mower full speed for about a minute. I also move the tractor back and forth a few inches. Need to make sure that sprayer extends out beyond deck some so there is no chance of mower sucking it up. Doesn't get everything but keeps it fairly clean. Run mower without water on to dry it out. Drill very small holes at first to check pattern. You want a forceful spray.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Need to make sure that sprayer extends out beyond deck some so there is no chance of mower sucking it up. .
Important detail for anyone considering building one!!
Hadn't thought about that situation.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
I measured how far the spindles were from one another and soldered up some old 3/4 copper tubing. Topped them off with sprinkler heads, not the kind that pop up!. fed it with a 3/4 PVC pipe and buried it all and fed it with a line from the shop. Ran the line down the side of the shop and put the valve on the wall so I just pull up and turn the water on. Never get off the mower. I also drilled a 1/32 hole in the copper that is under ground. Bedded in rock, it is not enough to loose pressure but when shut off, it drains the line so that it does not freeze. I use it for my JD and Kubota. Never had an issue with water in the bearings yet .

chieffan

Equipment
B7100HST w/RC60-71B Deck
Jan 12, 2016
SW Iowa Adams county
I have used a pressure washer to clean out the underside of the decks for years. The riding tractors I have an 9" pole set at about a 30° angle with a cable and hand winch. this lifts the front end up enough so I can get at the deck to clean it. I always run the deck for about minute after cleaning to dry it out some. then one stroke from a grease gun in each spindle and if any water did happen to get in the new grease will push it out. Have not replaced a bearing yet due to water damage. We all need to do what we feel comfortable with. Had a friend that bought a new riding mower, Green one. would clean the deck after every mowing. No water. Mid way into the 3rd season his deck bearings started to go. Was not a big box store unit either.