Cleaning Mower Deck with water while blades spining - good or bad?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I've seen some mowers come with a built-in garden hose attachment so you can run water to the underside of the deck with blades spinning, for cleaning.

Here is a guy that has a drive over sprayer - where he runs the mower while spraying water. http://www.instructables.com/id/Mower-Deck-Spray-Washer/

Is spaying water under the deck with the blades spinning full speed the proper (or acceptable) way to clean the deck?

If yes, would it be worth the effort to install a garden hose attachment fitting (washout fitting)? Such as this http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...id=SPDxGPROD&gclid=CNecmNTS9cwCFcdehgodqwILLA

windzer

Equipment
Bx2370-1
Dec 8, 2015
Illinois usa
We have an x720 Deere with that fitting and tried doing that and it didn't do squat. Plus it gets water in your spindle bearings I found that out after greasing it I saw it purge out water. Your probably better off just pulling the deck off and using a scraper and pressure washer to clean it. But to each his own that's my 2 cents.:)

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
We have an x720 Deere with that fitting and tried doing that and it didn't do squat. Plus it gets water in your spindle bearings I found that out after greasing it I saw it purge out water. Your probably better off just pulling the deck off and using a scraper and pressure washer to clean it. But to each his own that's my 2 cents.:)
Thanks for your reply.

I have the 60 inch "drive over" deck, but even then, it's still a pain in the rear to remove the deck and flip it over for cleaning.

I think it needs to be removed once a month to do a heavy cleaning and to check/sharpen the blades - but what about a light cleaning once a week?

Does anyone else have an opinion? Thanks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
While it is a pain to flip and clean/service a mower deck, that is better than getting water into the bearings. I wouldn't do it, if it were mine.

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
While it is a pain to flip and clean/service a mower deck, that is better than getting water into the bearings. I wouldn't do it, if it were mine.
I use the wash out port on my trim mower but I have been standing my 60 in deck up and scraping it every month or 2 and started using those sprays like MO Deck to help stop the grass from sticking so bad.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Not likely much water will make it into bearings, especially well greased ones.
Standing deck up and pressure washing is about the same result. Water could get in that way for sure. Scraping/wire brush is about the least messy considering getting a mouthful of green slime when water blows back in your face.
My small lawn tractor has a washout port, never use it. I scrape and blow debris with compressed air. Especially loose grass built up on top of deck.

I clean and paint deck occasionally, less stuff sticks.
Had considered trying Never Wet but never found the time yet.

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Okay then. I'll stick to the tried-and-true method of removing the deck.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
85Hokie, wasn't there a rhyme in one of those classes, "Do as you otta... keeps bearings outta watta"?

Some guys pressure wash their balers when hay season is over. Make them feel good when it's all clean and the hay crumbs are gone.

I would never pressure wash it unless you were getting ready to do some repairs and wanted it clean before removing parts.

dmbe

Jan 29, 2015
Altoona, pa
I made this a while back to clean my deck after mowing. Just attach hose to it.
Has about 5 small holes on each leg. Make sure it extends out past deck on both sides.

Attachments

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Has about 5 small holes on each leg. Make sure it extends out past deck on both sides.
Great idea, might build on this weekend as it looks rainy here.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Nice fab, but are you just spraying water under the deck with everything stopped, or are you spraying with the blades spinning?

Just spraying water doesn't seem to do much cleaning (unless you have a real strong jet stream) at least in my experience. I think this is why some people say they have the blades spinning - to create that turbulence.

I think I will just remove the deck to clean every two weeks during cutting season.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I had the deck washing feature on my last mower. Hooked a garden hose to it and then kicked the blades on.

The issue I ran into was it seamed to force water in the spindles. When I quit washing the deck, the bearings lasted longer :rolleyes:

Didn't seam to matter whether the spindles had zirc fittings or were sealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I used to wash out the deck nice and clean. Until it rusted through.
Now, if I mow and the grass is wet, I raise the mower up, and use a plastic scraper to get the clumps off and leave the rest to act as a 'barrier'.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I have a two year old JD riding mower that has a fitting. I notice if the buildup is heavy and wet the water doesn't do much. I usually end up hand spraying under there with the regular jet sprayer on the garden hose. Now I'm a bit concerned. :confused:

Also figured out that if the grass is dry there is nothing much stuck under the deck and spraying the clippings on top of the deck with water just makes them stick all over the place. So I've started using compressed air to get that stuff off the top of the deck if it's already dry.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
The Kubota dealer here had problems with sandy conditions wearing out the decks. They started having under them sprayed with spray on bed liner. They last much
longer. It probably helps with moisture as well.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The Kubota dealer here had problems with sandy conditions wearing out the decks. They started having under them sprayed with spray on bed liner. They last much
longer. It probably helps with moisture as well.
Some bed liners are silicone base, maybe that would prevent stuff sticking. Seems like a good idea.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Well here is the deal. I started using this stuff on the snowplows and tractor buckets last year. Nothing sticks, it's great. I cleaned the mower deck and thought this would work. Well I sharpened the blades this spring and there was barely a handful of grass stuck under there, compared to a 5 gallon bucket full last year... It works! http://www.fluid-film.com/

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Well here is the deal. I started using this stuff on the snowplows and tractor buckets last year. Nothing sticks, it's great. I cleaned the mower deck and thought this would work. Well I sharpened the blades this spring and there was barely a handful of grass stuck under there, compared to a 5 gallon bucket full last year... It works! http://www.fluid-film.com/
Perfect timing! I just picked up a can at the dealer and hadn't thought about the underside of the mower deck. Will spray it up in the morning before the first cut of the year. Will be a good test as I waited way to long to go from winter to summer mode.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I clean and paint the underside in the fall grease everything, and dont worry about it till next fall