B7100 3pt trouble along with hst collasped filter

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Hi all,

I have a issue with my late model b7100hst with 1050 hours.
Trouble started when the 3 pt hitch with back blade would balk lowering. Raising was fine. The control lever would try and push back to center about half way down,, give it a second push the lever and the blade would drop as normal.
The issue got a bit worse over this last winter.

Yesterday drained the hst oil, which was clear, pulled the hst suction pipe on right side to check strainer. It was spotless. Is there a strainer on left side also?

When i pulled the spin on oil filter to change, the inside had collasped. It was the proper heavy duty fram filter. The Fram site says this is normally a pressure relief condition but that refers in general to oil circuts on engines.

After putting things back together there is a 75 percent improvement. Should i be looking at the 3 pt control valve?

As a side note i do have the diverter block installed which feeds a control valve to lower and raise a front mounted snowblower which has been installed for 5 winters now.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ken, you mention, " It was the proper heavy duty fram filter."

I'm prejudice, I wouldn't use a Fram filter on anything. I imagine they've improved over time, but I still remember the advertising, "Pay now, or pay later". They spent more money on TV ads then developing an excellent product.

I would only use a Kubota filter. The savings on a filter can't compare to problems/cost with the system.

You can download some manuals here. http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ken, you mention, " It was the proper heavy duty fram filter."

I'm prejudice, I wouldn't use a Fram filter on anything. I imagine they've improved over time, but I still remember the advertising, "Pay now, or pay later". They spent more money on TV ads then developing an excellent product.

I would only use a Kubota filter. The savings on a filter can't compare to problems/cost with the system.

You can download some manuals here. http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/
D2Cat mentioned the first thing I thought of........ FRAM......."better than nothing, but not much better!"

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Only thing I'd add is change to proper fluid, check strainer, and check relief valve. Also check that pesky speed control valve, under the seat...:D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Sold hastings, wix ,baldwin,purolator and a few house brands over the years.
Fram seems to be one we never sold. There were a few reasons, collapsing, case failure and improperly seated filter cartridges (loose and rattling)

Just guessing,but i have likely performed anywhere between 5 and 10 Thousand oil changes. Fram is my least favorite oil filter head and shoulders above all others. I had a peg that i collected stuck oil filter gaskets on. For the beginner, not checking filter base would get you in the butt if one stuck and threaded a new filter on top of old ring. Lets say out of 25 rings on the pegboard, how many were fram?
All of them. So if this is one simple problem what's inside?

Ya,so anything but fram. If someone supplies a fram filter, i install it. I make a point not to buy them myself. Its like brands and grades of oil, consumers choice.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like there is a feed back rod adjustment or binding issue.
Go to Kubotabooks.com and download the three part service manual. ;)

JBjunior

Equipment
L35 TLB
Jun 16, 2011
SE, NC
Hi all,

I have a issue with my late model b7100hst with 1050 hours.
Trouble started when the 3 pt hitch with back blade would balk lowering. Raising was fine. The control lever would try and push back to center about half way down,, give it a second push the lever and the blade would drop as normal.
The issue got a bit worse over this last winter.

Yesterday drained the hst oil, which was clear, pulled the hst suction pipe on right side to check strainer. It was spotless. Is there a strainer on left side also?

When i pulled the spin on oil filter to change, the inside had collasped. It was the proper heavy duty fram filter. The Fram site says this is normally a pressure relief condition but that refers in general to oil circuts on engines.

After putting things back together there is a 75 percent improvement. Should i be looking at the 3 pt control valve?

As a side note i do have the diverter block installed which feeds a control valve to lower and raise a front mounted snowblower which has been installed for 5 winters now.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!
HST pipe on right side? If you are sitting on the tractor and look down, it should be HST pipe on left side and everything else on right side. Filters in both.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks for the information and feedback!

I did order a new hst filter, Kubota , from Messicks along with a few other items.

I have made sure that the limiting stops for the 3pt are adjusted and not binding. The flow control adjustment bolt and jam nut that controls the speed of the implement dropping is within specs and working correctly. My tractor does not have a valve or knob for this feature.

I will update after receiving new filter.

Last edited:

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Hypothetical, if the oil filter collasping came first and a piece of the filter material became dislodged would the strainer on the 3pt lift control valve catch it before entering the control valve?

I have downloaded the shop manual and was hoping I would find a schematic for the hydraulic circuit but no luck.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hypothetical, if the oil filter collasping came first and a piece of the filter material became dislodged would the strainer on the 3pt lift control valve catch it before entering the control valve?
NO, the strainer and filter are before everything.
If the filter tossed anything or let anything pass, it's either back in the sump or stuck somewhere in the system, like the pressure relief valve.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin

I received the Kubota filter from Messicks , great service by the way!, and installed. This is a picture of the Fram after I cut in half with my bandsaw.

As a side note, The Kubota filter does not have the inner ring that is cleary shown on the Kubota site. The bottom picture was pulled from that site comparing a Kubota hst filter to a competitive brand.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Will gave to pull paper element out and lay it flat. It looks bad, but paper would be collecting everything off the saw blade.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Frank,
Thanks for your reply. I did look at the paper and it looked good. Everything you see in the photo is the chips from the bandsawing of the filter.

I have installed the new kubota filter , added fluid. The 3pt hitch at this point is 100 percent! Fingers crossed!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ken,
I can tell just by looking at that Fram filter that it is the wrong type, it's a pressure filter and not a suction filter! ;)

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ken,
I can tell just by looking at that Fram filter that it is the wrong type, it's a pressure filter and not a suction filter! ;)
Just trying to get a handle on these filters.
I am not sure I understand what the difference or definition of pressure filter and suction filter is.

I double checked with a interchange site, the collasped filter is a Fram Tough Guard 3682, this seems to interchange with the Kubota HH660-36060 that I received and installed from Messicks. When I do a filter look up for Frame for my tractor it comes up with PH3682. The specs are the same for the Tough Guard 3682.

SO , now really confused if the filter that has been on the tractor was or was not even the right "type".