B6200 not sure front axle is taking grease

GotB6200

Equipment
B6200
Mar 10, 2015
Burlington,VT
Hi Gang!
I got a B6200 and I'm using a hand grease-gun.
I'm working on greasing the front turn axles for the front tires.
I keep pumping, but I don't seeing any grease coming out anywhere.
How do I know if I'm actually pumping grease into it?

Thanks!
GotB6200 :-]

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi Gang!
I got a B6200 and I'm using a hand grease-gun.
I'm working on greasing the front turn axles for the front tires.
I keep pumping, but I don't seeing any grease coming out anywhere.
How do I know if I'm actually pumping grease into it?

Thanks!
GotB6200 :-]

Let start with the assumption that grease is coming out???? I have had many a gun not allow grease to come out due to air or other gun problems. Squeeze the handle and grease should flow out of the tip easily.

If the zerk has not been greased in a while - it can be frozen shut. Look carefully and tap the ball in the tip with an awl or nail - dont hit it hard - see if it moves. Might have to replace the zerks too !

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You can always remove the zerk and see if new grease is in the input side or place just the zerk in the gun and see if it flows. If it's stuck there are a bunch of methods to unstick, but it really depends on why the zerk is stuck in first place.

Damaged zerk = replace
Old Grease/Dirt glue = good soak in diesel, then heat with torch until warm and dump back in diesel. Blow out with air and check function.
Stuck Ball = gentle work with a large nail to just push the ball in slightly. Clean with a good solvent and repeat to make sure obstruction is washed out.

If the zerks are old, just replace them. It will save you time and effort. The zerk kit from Harbor Freight is relatively cheap and can be a life saver...
http://www.harborfreight.com/50-piece-grease-fitting-assortment-67570.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-metric-grease-fittings-67569.html

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Stuck/clogged/frozen zerks don't take grease, and don't allow the pump to cycle at all in my experience. If it pumps and you don't see grease, it's filling up a cavity somewhere, keep pumping till it comes out.

GotB6200

Equipment
B6200
Mar 10, 2015
Burlington,VT
Thanks All for your responses!!
I apologize.... I should have mentioned I took the zerks off and cleaned them and tested the balls in them, and they appeared to work.
It may be that the cavity is very large and hasn't been greased in years and since its a pivot spot for the turning of the front tires, the grease may have leaked out of it......so it may be empty.
I might dabble with taking it apart and examining it also.
Will let you know how it resolves.
Many thanks my friends!!

ozzieowner

Equipment
B6200HST
Mar 12, 2016
Australia
I just pumped 1-1/2 (that's one and a half) tubes of grease into EACH front wheel ball-and-socket joint today on my B6200 (tubes are 450g size here in Australia, not sure if you guys use same measurements, tubes are about 9 inches long and two inches wide) . At $14 a tube I hope that's a one off. Bought the machine 5 years a go and had it professionally serviced at the time but don't know if mechanic kept pumping till grease appeared on the ball as I did today. Maybe he did, and it's my slack servicing since that's the problem. Feel I should apologise to the front wheels for my neglect.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
IF your B6200 is designed the same as my B7100, you probably haven't hurt anything except your wallet. The top kingpin bearing/bushing is lubed with a couple shots of grease occasionally, and the bottom kingpin bearing/bushing is lubed by being in a gear oil bath. The rest of the space inside the "ball" only has the u-joint for the axle shaft, and it has sealed bearings. Any excess grease pumped into the upper bearing will just fill the ball, and should not hurt anything, unless it somehow stops gear oil from getting to the lower bearing.

Attachments

Changnam 59

Equipment
New to the world of Orange
Dec 24, 2011
Pathumthanee, Thailand
I am going to disagree with that analysis based on my experience rebuilding the front axle on a B6000 a couple of years back.

The B6000 has a very similar front axle design. I reported on that rebuild on this forum which involved new king pins and making bushings for the axle castings which were badly worn. The worst of the wear was to the bottom king pins.

The top king pin is greased by zerk. The bottom king pin has nothing in the way of lubrication other than any grease that may have been applied during assembly.

The only way to re-grease the bottom king pin would be to remove it, grease it and reassemble. I actually considered adding grease zerks to the bottom king pins but didn't get round to doing it. I can only assume that Kubota did not use zerks is because of the risk they could get fouled on objects as the tractor is used.

The oil bath for the reduction gears is outboard of the king pins and serves no part in lubricating them. If it did you could drain the reduction gear case by removing the bottom king pin and that does not work.

Having said that I have not pulled the bottom king pins to lube them since I rebuilt the axle. Better add it to my job list!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I am going to disagree with that analysis based on my experience rebuilding the front axle on a B6000 a couple of years back.
Based on my rebuilding of my B7100 axle a few months ago:
Mine had standing gear oil at the lower king pin/bearing, and the lower end of the lower kingpin had a spiral oil groove machined in it. This groove allows the oil to reach the bearing surface. I would agree, without oil & the oil groove, there would be no way to lube the lower kingpin without dis-aaembly & re-assembly. Having never rebuilt a B600o or a B6100 I can't say for sure, but that's why I started with the disclaimer:
IF your B6200 is designed the same as my B7100,
Perhaps there are significant differences in the different models, or there have been design changes over the model years.

ozzieowner

Equipment
B6200HST
Mar 12, 2016
Australia
Ok thanks Bill. From now on I'll just keep the grease up to the balls with regular small doses. I guess I panicked a bit cos both balls were actually dry and even a bit rusty (!). I also always thought keep pumping until grease comes out somewhere else was a golden rule. Guess not. Thanks again for your reply

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Changnam 59,
The B6000 and the old B7100 / B6200 have one thing different, the b6000 does not have a sealed ball / case joint like the others do.
So no the b6000 doesn't get oil from the case like the old b7100/ B6200 does. ;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
both balls were actually dry and even a bit rusty
The comic possibilities here are almost endless, but I'll try to stay on track here.
On the B7100, this seal/wiper consists of a gasket, a metal seal holder, a rubber wiper/seal, a felt wiper, and a metal cover. Toyota Landcruisers (and many, many other vehicles) use the same ball/seal/wiper system. We learned long ago that the biggest cause of "rusty balls" was someone assembling the felt wiper dry, or allowing it to dry out due to age & neglect. Before installation, it should be soaked overnight in 90w or 140w gear oil, then the excess squeezed out. The oil lubes the ball & rubber wiper, but more importantly a dry wiper becomes a trap for rain water or any water you drive through, trapping it against the ball, with predictable results.

primer00

Equipment
B7001 L345
Feb 27, 2013
Monroe, GA
I am trying to remove the lower kingpin on a B7100. Is there a trick to doing this ? Any help would be appreciated.