more B2150 hydraulic problems

marktomes

Equipment
B2150HSD with BF350
Jul 22, 2012
davisburg, MI
I recently posted about my on again off again hydraulics, today they worked so I went out to move some snow (finally). My tractor has been suffering from dead hydraulics that come and go so today when i started the tractor I lifted the fel with my floor jack and that brought them back to life. about an hour into my snow work my 3pt lifted and the hydros started making a strained sound, 3 pt is stuck in the up position and the strained sound goes away with any movement of the front end loader. where should I start?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I guess I'm missing something, "I lifted the fel with my floor jack and that brought them back to life." What do you mean? You jacked it up and it started working, FEL ? or three point? or both?

marktomes

Equipment
B2150HSD with BF350
Jul 22, 2012
davisburg, MI
I have had problems of recent with my hydraulics, all dead. No HST, no FEL and no 3pt. The problem comes and goes. I have been in a no hydro state for a few weeks so I decided to lift my FEL with my floor jack to see if it would get her going again and it did. Maybe a totally separate issue but felt it was deserving a mention. But i worked her in the snow today for about an hour before the 3 pt issue came about.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks, that's better.
Sounds like to me that you have a Pick-up / fluid level problem, or a filter problem.
With the cold weather it brings out a lot of problems.
#1 check the levels of the hydraulic fluid.

#2 If it has the wrong hydraulic fluid in it can do exactly what you have happening. Being an HST it needs UDT or SUDT fluid, any other fluid and it just won't work right when it's cold.

#3 If it has an old, plugged,or frozen filter that can cause problems too.
that model has 2 filters, one is a screen filter #70 on first picture, second filter is a spin on filter on the side.

B2150 filter.JPG

B2150 filter housing.JPG

marktomes

Equipment
B2150HSD with BF350
Jul 22, 2012
davisburg, MI
Hello again Wolfman, ok running down the list. #1 fluid is topped off and fresh, #2 I used Coastal multitrac, shows it being a suitable cross for Kubota UDT and #3 just changed the spin on filter and cleaned the screen (could the screen need replacing?) I did the fluid change and filters when the tractor first lost hydraulic. This is an odd problem because I have had the hydraulics fail when the weather is in the 20's but perform great when it is in the low single digits. They never fail while i'm working but I am hit or miss when i start it up a few days later. I also never had them fail while its warm out, just have not had a lot of time with this machine while its warm out. I tried lifting the FEL with my floor jack in hopes that something was open and forcing some movement in the system would jar it lose. I am at a loss as to why the 3pt is stuck in the up position. there is a max height position lever or stop attached to the lift arms that i thought could be out of adjustment so I removed it from the lift arms to adjust it manually but still the 3 pt stays up. I have a back blade on it and tried adding my 200 pounds to it and nadda.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello again Wolfman, ok running down the list. #1 fluid is topped off and fresh, #2 I used Coastal multitrac, shows it being a suitable cross for Kubota UDT and #3 just changed the spin on filter and cleaned the screen (could the screen need replacing?) I did the fluid change and filters when the tractor first lost hydraulic. This is an odd problem because I have had the hydraulics fail when the weather is in the 20's but perform great when it is in the low single digits. They never fail while i'm working but I am hit or miss when i start it up a few days later. I also never had them fail while its warm out, just have not had a lot of time with this machine while its warm out. I tried lifting the FEL with my floor jack in hopes that something was open and forcing some movement in the system would jar it lose. I am at a loss as to why the 3pt is stuck in the up position. there is a max height position lever or stop attached to the lift arms that i thought could be out of adjustment so I removed it from the lift arms to adjust it manually but still the 3 pt stays up. I have a back blade on it and tried adding my 200 pounds to it and nadda.

Is there any difference in the pump with you move a lever? What I am asking, does the pump make the same noise or whine as it always had? or does it strain on make another type of noise........sound to me something is awry in the pump.

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
if the 3pt went up on its own, and wont respond to the control lever. i would start with the 3pt control valve. the FEL should be in front of the 3pt in the hydraulic system the reason the straining sound goes away when you use it is, the oil is returning to tank bypassing the 3pt valve.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fact that the three point is stuck in the Up position tells us a lot!
You have hydraulic pressure, otherwise the three point would be stuck down, You need pressure and flow to get the lift up.
I think you might have a problem with the 3 point valve.:(
I'll look over some things and get back to you.

marktomes

Equipment
B2150HSD with BF350
Jul 22, 2012
davisburg, MI
Thank you All very much, I have a service manual for this tractor but I am not seeing what is the mechanism that lifts the 3pt. Is there an internal cylinder that could have lifted too far out and become kittywompous? Shouldn't the feedback lever prevent that from happening? I am looking at the feedback adjustment and it seems like it is actuated at full lift.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There should be a speed control knob for the 3 pt hitch. Usually a knob under the front of the seat. There is a position that locks the 3 pt from going down. Usually this is marked by arrows on or near the knob. If it got turned to lock, then the 3 pt will not go down. Turn that knob and see if you can make a difference in letting the 3 pt hitch down.

The straining sound may be the pressure relief valve bypassing and "squealing" by opening and closing so fast.

Letting the 3 pt down will stop that probably. Adjustment of a linkage on the 3 pt lift arms (top arms where the shafts come out of the casing) will stop it from going into by pass unless you are trying to pick up too much.

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
Thank you All very much, I have a service manual for this tractor but I am not seeing what is the mechanism that lifts the 3pt. Is there an internal cylinder that could have lifted too far out and become kittywompous? Shouldn't the feedback lever prevent that from happening? I am looking at the feedback adjustment and it seems like it is actuated at full lift.
there is an internal cylinder,doubtful that it did that though. the straining hydraulic system means its probably still trying to lift the 3pt higher, most likely the problem is in the position control portion of the system.

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
when the tractor is off can you get the arms to lower??
visually check feedback rod to make sure everything is connected.
umbolt feedback rod amd move it while tractor is running and 3pt lever is in up and down positions.

marktomes

Equipment
B2150HSD with BF350
Jul 22, 2012
davisburg, MI
OK, the 3 pt is still up after 2 days of sitting off. I disconnected the feedback rod and tried "fiddling" with it while the tractor was on and off, but didn't try it with the 3pt lever in different positions. I will try that and the adjustment knob for lowering speed. I may be a little slow to respond, I have a parasitic drain problem in my wife's car that i have to troubleshoot. If I don't fix that fast she is going to fall in love with my newish truck and I may never get it back ;).

Highspeed

Equipment
B-series
Jan 27, 2014
mid-Michigan
I've just got to know this one....what's a parasitic drain problem? :D

Wait....ding! Bulb just came on. You have an electrical draw killing the battery. I was thinking along the lines of something draining...like the HVAC drain. 8)

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
It's like your brother in law coming over drinking all your beer and chips! ;)
Laughed my a$$ off!
Reminded me of a parasite my uncle used to have. My uncle was an avid home brewer and very good at it. Always had a full frig in his shop which he never locked. He was not stingy with his creations and readily shared it. He had one neighbor that would sneak over when he was not there and take a couple 6 packs home with him then deny that he took any. Taking the beer was not the issue, I did it and so did others but we helped him make it and also bought ingredients. When it was brewing time and $$ time the neighbor was never around. When bottling one batch, my uncle put 4 laxitive pills in 24 bottles and placed them in the front of the frig:eek:. Missing beer problem mysteriously solved.:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When bottling one batch, my uncle put 4 laxitive pills in 24 bottles and placed them in the front of the frig:eek:. Missing beer problem mysteriously solved.:confused:
Way too Funny! :D

what's a parasitic drain problem? :D
Thinking about this a little more, sounds like my EX! :eek:

marktomes

Equipment
B2150HSD with BF350
Jul 22, 2012
davisburg, MI
I wish laxatives would fix my issues, that is GREAT! So, messed around with the 3pt lowering speed knob and the feedback lever to the 3pt and it is still riding high. It will not go down. No new observations but I was just out in the dark cold barn with some headlights, I should be able to spend a few daylight minutes out there in the next day or two. Any new thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the help and the laughs guys. Mark.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wish laxatives would fix my issues
They will if you take enough... After a while you would give a shit ;)... well you won't be able to take one... It will just run out! :eek: YIKES!!!!

marktomes

Equipment
B2150HSD with BF350
Jul 22, 2012
davisburg, MI
I was just reading through this again and it appears I didn't answer BullDogs question. The 3pt did not go up on its own, I raised it by the lever and it went up and never came down. I have had a few minutes to look over my shop manual and am perplexed by the 3pt control valve shown, i'm not sure what direction I am looking at the exploded view from. I am going to have to take the picture out with me while i look at the tractor. Does anyone know where I should start looking on the control valve? Is there some portion of that valve that would effect my HST and FEL? Trying to piece together my problems from last time too.