BX-2200 lower PTO doesnt work...

plumbcut

Equipment
BX2200 & B6200.
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
So I bought a BX2200 with a loader several years ago.. It had around 600 hours and was in good condition..

At some point I acquired a 60" belly mower and when I got it hooked up, I tried engaging the lower PTO and it doesnt turn. There is something internal to the PTO thats not working correctly. I have used the rear PTO extensively (and still do) and it works great..

Its been a while since I used the lower PTO but if I remember correctly it may have had just a little bit of a grinding noise when it tried to engage.

Any ideas? I service the tractor regularly so its not a fluid issue.. I do have a service manual but the diagrams are hard to interpret without having the thing physically torn down to reference. I would tear into it if I had the time or could afford the down time, but thats not the case right now.

Anyone ever experience this or have any insight? Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
does that have 3 positions? MMM pto, Rear PTO, and then both?

plumbcut

Equipment
BX2200 & B6200.
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Should be lower both and rear for controls at least on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I know the tractor pretty well EXCEPT for the lower PTO controls because Ive never used them :) I'll check right now and get back to you

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
You may not have the operators manual, so to operate the PTO.

The PTO clutch should be disengaged to shift the PTO selection lever.
To avoid shock loads to the PTO reduce engine speed to half, slowly engage the PTO clutch, increase engine speed.

plumbcut

Equipment
BX2200 & B6200.
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
No matter which way I engage the PTO, I get the same results. Regardless of PTO setting, engine speed, clutch engagement timing, etc...

Whats strange is that there feels like there are 4 detents in that lever. If you watch both videos you can get an idea of what I mean. There are clearly 4 stops in that lever. And pulling it all the way back, it feels like it doesnt quite fall all the way into that detent. Sort of bouncy.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The point is you may be damaging the PTO gears by shifting with the clutch engaged, especially if you do it with an implement attached.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
The lever closest to the seat engages and disengages the pto, the other lever engages the output shaft you want to use. You have three choices, rear shaft is one detent front and rear another detent and front only another. Make the choice of which shaft you want to use move the outside lever to that position, then after you do that engage the pto by moving the lever closest to the seat forward. Try to have the engine at an idle when you engage the pto. We have three bx's and that's the way they all work. Hope this helps you out.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
What I believe is the issue here is that the mid PTO gear is worn to the point that the handle has to over travel to barely engage what is left of the teeth on that gear.

Pat

plumbcut

Equipment
BX2200 & B6200.
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
What I believe is the issue here is that the mid PTO gear is worn to the point that the handle has to over travel to barely engage what is left of the teeth on that gear.

Pat
This seems most plausible.

I wonder if this tractor was a mower for the first half of its life and has worn something out.. Its either mowed for 500-600+ hours, or zero hours. I dont see any tell tale signs either way but I assumed it had never had a mower attached. But it did come with turf tires.

plumbcut

Equipment
BX2200 & B6200.
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
No I havent figured it out yet. I skimmed thru the workshop manual but it was of very little use. I am anxious to fix it but right now, there are a few other much higher priorities (like the wife is 9mos pregnant, etc)..

What exactly is yours doing?

BrokenKY

Equipment
BX2200
May 25, 2016
Elizabethtown KY
It is acting very similar to yours, the PTO will spin but it grinds and will not fully engage. The rear PTO will work nd is normal for operation. My problem is only the Mid PTO. If I resolve any issues I will forward the details.