time for the 50 hr service

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
starting with the rck54-32 mower deck the manual says to change the 90 wt oil in the gear box.
it shows a drain plug, a check plug and a filler plug?
my deck don't have the drain plug or the check plug?
I wonder if I have a newer model that doesn’t require draining the oil or what?
it does have the filler plug, but how am I supposed to get the old oil out?
the kubota web site is less than helpful.
I wonder if there is a drain plug under the deck, I sure would hate to have to try to drain it from the bottom.
any help?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I never bothered with drain or check plugs on my 60" deck gearbox. After use (warm oil), I use a 50 or 60cc syringe and rubber tubing to suction out the gearbox, then refill with the same amount removed. Clean and fast.

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I can't believe this, I looked and looked and looked and didn't see either the drain plug or the check plug yesterday, today I went out to look again and poof there they were?
must have been very tired last night?

anyway, after I find the drain plug I see it's right above the belt.
so now I guess I'm supposed to remove the belt to keep from getting oil all over it, then try to figure out how to capture the oil coming out of the gear box and clean up the mess.

I think rjcorazza might be on to something.

anyway the rest of the servicing went well, didn't loose more than a quart of hydraulic fluid, if that much.

I still can't believe I was so blind as to not see the drain bolt???

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Sucking it out is the easiest way as rjcorazza has said. I have a small hand held vacuum pump I bought years ago at Wally World.

That doesn't really do much for getting any contaminants out, but on stuff like my Kubota snow blower they only way you can drain it would be to physically remove the gearbox. Kind of a stupid setup in my opinion.

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
finished!
I decided to take the belt loose raise the end of the deck and drain the gear box.
the thinking about it was as much work as the doing it.
it's good to know I should be good to go for a long time.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
How did it look. Did you notice any contaminants in the oil? I haven't change the oil in mine yet.

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I didn't see anything but the gear oil didn't look like I was expecting it to look?
for some reason I had expected it to look like black 90wt. rear end oil but it looked more like clean hydraulic oil.
all the engine oil that I had drained out didn't look very dirty at all.
and the captured hydraulic oil from changing the filters also looked clean.
all in all everything looked good.