Drooping 3PL on BX1860

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Hey all
21 hours on the clock.
When I lift the 3PH counter weight and the mower deck, it slowly drops over maybe 10 minutes or so its quite low.
Thats while I was using it doing some FEL work today.
Ive also checked while its not running after cranking the 3PH up and shutting the machine down, it also creeps down at the same rate as when in use.
Any clues where I should start looking to fix this :confused:
Cheers
Marc

Last edited:

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
It's 21 hrs but 4 years old and I'm the second owner (for a week) so there's no warranty, certainly not in this country anyway.
In Australia it's commonly referred to a 3 point link (hence 3PL) sorry for the confusion.

Hoping someone can help.

Cheers

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Creeping down is normal with the engine shut down and weight on the 3ph. Being that it only has 21 hours on it. But since it is 4 years old, i would at the minimum change the filters. Changing all the fluids would be a good idea as well. There is still moisture build up and you might be shocked as far as how much rust is in the filters.

One of the bx guys needs to chime in, but i think there is a way to lock the mower in the raised position. Not sure about the 3ph on a bx

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Re: Drooping 3PH on BX1860

Ok, thanks.
The engine oil and filter was done by the PO before I picked it up but not the hydraulics.
Ill change out the filter and oil and see if that helps.

If it doesnt help, what would be the next step in stopping the creep (while in use)?

Cheers

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 lift the three point and turn the valve under the seat to the off position, does the lift still drop?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's good, you now know it's not the piston or rings, and you now know it's in the Valve portion of the unit.
If you look in the manual for the section on the three point control valve it will show you how to get to it, it's going to be a little bit of a job to do.

If you haven't changed Hydraulic fluid and filters do that first as it might "cure" the problem and save you some work, but I wouldn't count on it.

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Ill try and do the oil and filters this weekend, fingers crossed it will help.
Thanks again for you help :)
Cheers
Marc

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
I did the oil and filter change but alas, it made no difference.
The good news is that what came out was quite clean with only a small amount of debris.
The shop is being of no use so it looks like I will have to get into it myself.
My old L1-22 looks way easier to work on than this little BX.

No clue where to start at this point :(
Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers and happy holidays :)

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I know my 200 hr BX1860 will drop my 5' blade from topped out to the ground over about 12 hrs when off. Just as a point of reference.

Took me a while to figure out why it would make a repeating clunk noise when off. Turns out the blade would drop a millimeter at a time every couple minutes or so.

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Mine does exactly that when stopped but also while running.
At a faster rate though, probably twice that. :(

This thing looks like a nightmare to take apart to get to the valve body...

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
My BX2200 has the same problem, but the valve closing makes no difference, so I know it must be the piston / rings leaking. Engine on or off, valve open or closed, it drops the 3pth and mower deck at the same speed. Have to get a cost from the dealer, and I will post here when I do.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Marc,

Sometimes, hydraulic valves leak a little bit due to a tiny speck of contamination. In your case it may resolve itself with use. I cannot imagine corrosion inside your tractor given its age, unless it was parked at the beach all its life. If this machine was parked indoors, it should be in great shape.

Or, your pressure relief valve in the 3pt valve block could be slightly out of adjustment or the bar that actuates it may be slightly loose -as was mine.

I have a 'leventy-seven page thread on the repairs to my L3800 valve in the very last days of my original warranty. This may help you if you want to check your valve assembly out. Verify first that yours is in the same location. Mine was really easy to get to...

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17412

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck and G'Day! :)

Ray

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Marc,
Looking things over it doesn't look too bad to get to, But then again I think it's fun to tear things apart!:rolleyes::eek::D
Look at pages 2-S17, 2-S18, 2-S19, and 2-S30 for all of what is involved.

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Thanks for the help guys
I will look into it as soon as I have the time, just too many other things need fixing around the place atm, house, yards, bike, truck and back to work next week .
Not sure if Im reading it wrong but the BX seems to have a simple single spool valve..........or am I reading this incorrectly?
Pages 5m3, 5m4, 5m5, 5s14
Still means the top has to come off to have a look inside.....bugger :(

Cheers and have a good new year everyone :)