Fried Ignition Switch?

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
L245DT

I think I know the answer, but I am a mechanical guy and the electrics on these things baffle me...I was plowing the other day and had a screw driver in my back pocket, in order to not tear up the seat I stuck it in the hole just above the ignition switch. Just as I was pulling into the barn a giant spark flew off of the screw driver...I yank it out and continued into the barn, the tractor never missed a beat. Today went to start and nothing, no charge light, not oil light. I am guessing I smoked the ignition switch. How can I test, and how hard to swap out? The little Phillips screw is the only metal exposed for the screw driver to touch, other than the switch itself. Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I bet it's not the switch, there is a main fuse or fuse link that is located buy the starter, look for a burnt wire or a cube fuse.

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
I looked for a fuse near the starter, but didnt find one. Other than the 4 fuses on the dash, are there other fuses in the wiring? If so, where to look?

The wiring diagram only shows 3 fuses, 2 5amp and 1 10 amp.

Thanks.

al b

Equipment
l345dt, l48, l2550dt
Feb 15, 2012
Ct
Get a test light and follow the current up the harness, negative and positive, until you find the problem. If it is a bad connection you will find it.Turn the key each step, some times it only shows up when you apply a draw.

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
Thanks, I will dig into it this evening. Having not done much electrical diagnostics, can you elaborate on how to "follow the current up the harness"?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fuse or Fusible link will be in line on the pencil sized red wire that comes off of the same terminal as the large battery cable on the starter.

This is what the mainline fuse will look like if equipped:

Fusible link will just look like a smaller piece of wire that's inline with the larger wire.

Following the current, or chasing the wire means to start at a known place that is good and follow it up the wiring harness till you find the problem.
In your case it's the main power feed wire from the starter to the switch. ;)

al b

Equipment
l345dt, l48, l2550dt
Feb 15, 2012
Ct
I had someone near me a couple of weeks ago told me he had the same symptoms. Turned out to be the + battery cable. He was working the tractor in a wooded area, shut it off then went to start it and nothing. A l2250.

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
First off thanks to all replies. Traced the circuit through the starter to the plug connecting the wiring harness. Power on battery side, nothing on switch side. The red wire was barely in the plug and fell out when I began handling it. No fuse in this circuit, so I spliced one in. Taped it all back up and zipped tied in place and all power restored.

swcava1

Equipment
245DT
Oct 23, 2014
Noblesville, Indiana
I just found this site by asking for info on Google about this exact issue. Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou.

Even got pictures to help a non mechanic figure out that my problem has to be just like those facing other people.

On the way to my farm to see if there is an in-line fuse (wire) that has failed.

Love my Kubota!!

Thanks---swcava1

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I love it when a plan comes together,:D,, Oh and one more thing,,
STOP PUTTING THINGS IN HOLES WHERE THEY DON'T BELONG :eek: