BX 2350 Engine Dies Under Load/High RPM

Stevepf

Dec 7, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
On my BX 2350, the engine dies when I go above ~3000 rpm, or when I put the engine under load, such as by engaging the mower. At lower rpm, or when operated without load, all is fine, and the engine runs quite well.
What I mean when I say the engine "dies" is that it begins to shake, then loses power. At that point, if I throttle back or take the engine off load, it resumes running fine.
The engine only has about 180 hours of runtime on it.
So far, the only thing I have done to attempt a fix is to replace both fuel filters.
I have also looked at the troubleshooting guide in the manual; can't find anything there that seems to apply to this problem.
I am stumped.
Can anyone help?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
There are many things it might be but do the simple ones first.
And ask questions like when did it start this, was it gradual or all at once, before or after your serviced it?
Did you or someone else mistakenly mix some gas in with the fuel?
Have you checked the fuel lines, are they soft and squishy?
Have you checked the air filter?
Is this old fuel?
Just somethings to go through first before looking for something hard

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Gasoline in with the Diesel?
Air filter.
Water in fuel.
Bad fuel.
Is it still under warranty? Take it in if it is!

Stevepf

Dec 7, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
North Idaho Wolfman, skeets, and MadAmos, thanks for responding.
I have already checked the items you mentioned and they are good to go:

air filter
water in fuel
gasoline in fuel
bad fuel
old fuel
fuel lines

It is off warranty

The problem first occurred as I was mowing at about 3,000 rpm. The engine began to shake quite a bit then dropped to very low rpm.

All the services were up-to-date.

I had not done any recent servicing at the time the problem occurred, other than the usual pre-operational checks.

The next step is to take it to a repair facility as I am out of ideas.

As a last resort, does anyone think the problem might be with the fuel feed pump? That seems like an easy part to replace, and probably inexpensive. I'm willing to try that because like I said I am out of ideas.

Thanks

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Is fuel tank vent plugged? Have you checked for good fuel flow to inj pump? Is excess fuel returning to tank from inj pump IE is return line not stopped up?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Jim has a point I didn't think of, if you have mud dabber wasps or have been in a lot of dust the vent might be clogged

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
On my BX 2350, the engine dies when I go above ~3000 rpm, or when I put the engine under load, such as by engaging the mower. At lower rpm, or when operated without load, all is fine, and the engine runs quite well.
What I mean when I say the engine "dies" is that it begins to shake, then loses power. At that point, if I throttle back or take the engine off load, it resumes running fine.
The engine only has about 180 hours of runtime on it.
So far, the only thing I have done to attempt a fix is to replace both fuel filters.
I have also looked at the troubleshooting guide in the manual; can't find anything there that seems to apply to this problem.
I am stumped.
Can anyone help?
Steve,
I had the same trouble with my BX2350. It turned out that the electric fuel pump was bad. It would only run part time. Replacement from Kubota was about $250. I got an aftermarket one from O'Reilly's for about $50. It had a higher flow rate and a slightly higher working pressure. Also, there was some junk in the fuel tank floating around that would occasionally block the fuel outlet. Got the tank cleaned out and replaced the electric fuel pump. Now no more problems. :D

Dave

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
What is the max for RPMs ?
Would there happen to be a rev limiter set at 3K RPM ?
Orangeglow,

I don't know about yours, but mine is governed at 3,200 rpm. Under no load and wide open throttle it will not go above 3,200. PERSONALLY, I do not run above 3,000 rpm. Then only while mowing. Seems to do a better job than at 2,000 to 2,500. When using tiller I run at 2,000.

Factory setting for governor on yours COULD be set at 3,000 rpm. I do not know how to change this, as I have not had reason to go higher. Sorry. :eek:

As for engine that dies at high rpm, check my previous post about fuel filters and electric fuel pump. :D Best of luck.

Dave